PDA

View Full Version : Radharani

Viraja
24 July 2012, 05:30 PM
I read that the grace of Krishna must be obtained only through earning the grace of Smt. Radharani first. I even heard that in Vaikuntha, Radharani gets so angry with the gopikas who get too close to Sri Krishna and that the river Viraja that flows in Vaikuntha is thus a gopika who got too close to Krishna and thus was cursed by Radharani to turn to water. My question is not whether this is true but it makes me wonder who really is Radharani? Does she have more control over Krishna or does Krishna's wife Rukmani does? :) Seriously... I am interested in knowing all about Maa Radharani both as a person she is according to mythology as well as philosophically who she is to Krishna (if possible). Thanks.

JayaRadhe
24 July 2012, 09:35 PM
I read that the grace of Krishna must be obtained only through earning the grace of Smt. Radharani first. I even heard that in Vaikuntha, Radharani gets so angry with the gopikas who get too close to Sri Krishna and that the river Viraja that flows in Vaikuntha is thus a gopika who got too close to Krishna and thus was cursed by Radharani to turn to water. My question is not whether this is true but it makes me wonder who really is Radharani? Does she have more control over Krishna or does Krishna's wife Rukmani does? :) Seriously... I am interested in knowing all about Maa Radharani both as a person she is according to mythology as well as philosophically who she is to Krishna (if possible). Thanks.
Namaste!
There are many stories like this in the Puranas. They are very entertaining, wouldn't you say? :D
Radharani and Krishna live eternally in those forms in Goloka Dham, a specific part of Vaikuntha. Krishna, Rukmini, Satyabhama, etc... all appear in Dwarka Dham, a different part of Vaikuntha for different types of devotees.
In Goloka Dham, Krishna behaves differently from the way that he does in Dwarka Dham for the pleasure of his bhaktas. In Goloka, Krishna allows himself to be ruled by Radhika. I can't remember where I read it (in the Gita Govinda, I believe?), but in Goloka, Krishna even presses Radhika's feet to his forehead. Such is the lack of formality between them. Rukmini Devi, on the other hand, is much too unassuming to even allow Krishna to do such a thing. Basically, Radhika and Rukmini express themselves differently in order to suit the moods of various devotees, but most of all to please the Lord in innumerable ways. I hope this has helped somewhat!

Viraja
25 July 2012, 08:09 AM
Namaste,

Thank you for the clarification. I had not known about the existence in 2 separate worlds within Vaikuntha of Smt. Radharani and Rukmini devi. It is very interesting to note down what you have stated about Gita Govindam (I have heard about the particular verse you are talking about but have not given serious thought to it as I have not read it). Enlightening, indeed. I wonder if Radharani is a personnification of the spiritual ecstacy - because this verse as I heard says, "Radha, come place your feet over my head" as stated by Krishna. But then the inner meaning as I read it turns out to be, as the Lord is having his feet constantly over the 4 vedas and controlling them, he is feeling the burden and thus needs to cool down by having Radha's feet over his head! Thanks for referring to Gita Govindam - it had given me quite some explanations to think about.

JayaRadhe
25 July 2012, 11:08 AM
Namaste!
I had not heard that explanation for that passage before! Thank you for that! Also, as you suggested, Radhika as the incarnation of spiritual ecstasy is right on target. She is the Lord's Shakti in the form of his Hladini Shakti, or his power of bliss.

peepalala
29 September 2012, 10:34 AM
i also reading bhavishya puran now days .