PDA

View Full Version : Don't get sick in TN

Believer
25 July 2012, 03:09 PM
Namaste,

There is a common joke among Tamilians in North America that when you go to visit your extended family in Tamilnadu, don't get sick there. The reason - all the hospitals in TN are staffed by the crop of doctors who were educated under the quota system. Did pushing incompetent people through the system and bestowing degrees that certify that they are capable of doing things that they clearly are not, do anyone any good?

Pranam.

Jainarayan
25 July 2012, 03:35 PM
We have a joke here in the States for our share of idiot doctors...

Q. What do you call a person who graduated last place in medical school?

A. Doctor.

Eastern Mind
25 July 2012, 04:14 PM
Vannakkam: When I told my doctor I hated doctors, he just laughed. Poor guy doesn't like the likes of me, because I don't go much. When I was approaching 50, he said, "You should come for a physical." When I was approaching 55, he said, "You should come for a physical." Now I'm approaching 60, and he said, "You should come for a physical." It's getting boring, as he reiterates this statement too much. I don't want to know if I'm going to die. Why spend the last few months of life being concerned with where the next life will be?

Then again, maybe next year, I'll get a physical. At least it might shut him up about it.:)

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
25 July 2012, 04:30 PM
Namaste,

.....When I was approaching 50, he said, "You should come for a physical." When I was approaching 55, he said, "You should come for a physical." Now I'm approaching 60, and he said, "You should come for a physical."
You may conduct your life as you see fit, but an early detection of prostate cancer (PSA test) and colon cancer (colonoscopy) can help in fighting these two maladies. The doctor may want to give you a routine physical, but you have to insist on having it your way, which includes these two vital tests. Not sure if they can do some other blood tests for early detection of other problems. It is not really about being concerned about the next life in the last few months of your life, but being able to have the medical problems dealt with through early detection. It is your call. But find one who did not graduate through quota system. :)

Pranam.

philosoraptor
25 July 2012, 04:57 PM
Vannakkam: When I told my doctor I hated doctors, he just laughed. Poor guy doesn't like the likes of me, because I don't go much. When I was approaching 50, he said, "You should come for a physical." When I was approaching 55, he said, "You should come for a physical." Now I'm approaching 60, and he said, "You should come for a physical." It's getting boring, as he reiterates this statement too much. I don't want to know if I'm going to die. Why spend the last few months of life being concerned with where the next life will be?

Then again, maybe next year, I'll get a physical. At least it might shut him up about it.:)

Aum Namasivaya

I'm sure if your doctor practiced in an area where 100 lawyers weren't standing by to sue him for failing to recommend a physical in a patient who comes down with cancer or heart disease, your doctor would probably stop asking so often....

Eastern Mind
25 July 2012, 05:17 PM
Namaste,

You may conduct your life as you see fit, but an early detection of prostate cancer (PSA test) and colon cancer (colonoscopy) can help in fighting these two maladies. The doctor may want to give you a routine physical, but you have to insist on having it your way, which includes these two vital tests. Not sure if they can do some other blood tests for early detection of other problems. It is not really about being concerned about the next life in the last few months of your life, but being able to have the medical problems dealt with through early detection. It is your call. But find one who did not graduate through quota system. :)

Pranam.

Vannakkam B: You may not believe this, but I've actually heard this before. :) Bit like telling a smoker he should quit smoking, I guess. Just a stupid stubborn old man here. But it would be a lot like taking my beater in for a mechanical inspection. "Look buddy, its well beyond repair. Far too many things wrong with it." Actually I do have an appointment referral with a podiatrist. I want to be able to walk somewhere on that tropical island next winter.

Aum Namasivaya

Believer
25 July 2012, 07:43 PM
Namaste,

Just a stupid stubborn old man here. Does old age make people stubborn, or is it their stubbornness which makes them grow old faster? ;)

Anyway, couple of these problems are treatable with early detection, but for people tired of life, that avenue is of no use. I hate going to school, and a reincarnation (hopefully) as another human will require more schooling. That is why I want to prolong this life. Not a good news for teachers (working and retired). :)

Pranam.

PARAM
26 July 2012, 05:51 AM
Namaste,

There is a common joke among Tamilians in North America that when you go to visit your extended family in Tamilnadu, don't get sick there. The reason - all the hospitals in TN are staffed by the crop of doctors who were educated under the quota system. Did pushing incompetent people through the system and bestowing degrees that certify that they are capable of doing things that they clearly are not, do anyone any good?

Pranam.

I understand this joke. This mean it is better to not to get sick there or they will get medical treatment from those doctors who come under quota system.

This joke is made by those Tamilians who come under brain-drain category.