PDA

View Full Version : A meditaion trick I learned; may be cheating, however

Jainarayan
27 July 2012, 08:22 AM
Suffice to say there is usually some sort of hub-bub in my house which makes my sadhana difficult' due to the noise distractions. Foam earplugs don't cut it; I can't move my shrine anywhere else because the house is too small; I have a million answers for every suggestion one could make to help me.

What I've done is made a CD of meditative music, and some of my favorite bhajans. I play it in my portable CD player with headphones on. I have music that allows me to focus on prayers; I play Jai Jagdisha Hare for offering light, as done at temple for Mangala Aarti; I play some bhajans while meditating, and meditate on the words of the bhajans. It is like being in satsang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satsang), in the sense of being in the "company with an assembly of persons who listen to, talk about, and assimilate the truth." per Wiki description #3.

I use instrumental or nature sounds (ocean waves, rain fall, etc.) for japa, as if I were at a physical locations these things would normally be heard. I've found that I am drawn into the rhythm of my breathing and the mantra.

The music with headphones completely blocks out external disturbances and noise. I don't know if this is cheating, and I should work on the discipline of concentrating with the external disturbances and noise, but doing it this way makes me come away from sadhana with such a warm and peaceful feeling. Even during, I really do not wish the time to end. I've found myself in 'this happy place' for over an hour not realizing the time passing.

If this is not cheating, I would suggest it to those who are struggling with establishing concentration for meditation.

c.smith
27 July 2012, 10:55 AM
Hari Om!

What you describe is the way that I started my meditations in the early days, most of which were guided and then progressed to just music and sound as you describe and eventually to the point where outer distractions didn't really become a bother. So, IMHO it's a tool to be used along the path. You get to a point where you no longer need the "props".

Secondly, it is my understanding that Yog Nidra IS to be done in the manner you describe, perhaps eventually without the headphones, but always spoken at least - guided verbally and often accompanied by music and/or sound. Others may have different experiences here, but this has always been my understanding, thus my daily practice. You didn't ask about this discipline specifically, but thought that it deserved mention.

I like how you describe your experiences. Makes for rich and rewarding practice.

All the best to you.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

JayaRadhe
27 July 2012, 11:05 AM
Namaste!
That's okay. I do the same thing, but I play Meera's bhajans. My house is usually pretty quiet, but I have way too much mental chatter to meditate in complete silence. I figure listening to Meera is better than listening to: "Did I leave the stove on? I don't think so... If I did, wouldn't the house be on fire by now? But what if it's just smoldering and I haven't noticed yet? Nah... that's ridiculous, right? Maybe I should just go check it... Okay, yeah, it's off. OH MY LORD! WHAT WAS THAT NOISE OUTSIDE! I'M GOING TO BE MURDERED! I'd better bring the phone with me just in case..." As you can tell, I get a little paranoid when left to my own designs for too long. :D

Jainarayan
27 July 2012, 12:29 PM
Namaste.

Hari Om!

What you describe is the way that I started my meditations in the early days, most of which were guided and then progressed to just music and sound as you describe and eventually to the point where outer distractions didn't really become a bother. So, IMHO it's a tool to be used along the path. You get to a point where you no longer need the "props".

Ah, very good that I discovered something that is correct. :D

Secondly, it is my understanding that Yog Nidra IS to be done in the manner you describe, perhaps eventually without the headphones, but always spoken at least - guided verbally and often accompanied by music and/or sound. Others may have different experiences here, but this has always been my understanding, thus my daily practice. You didn't ask about this discipline specifically, but thought that it deserved mention.

I like how you describe your experiences. Makes for rich and rewarding practice.

All the best to you.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Thanks. Yes, I did feel very relaxed and 'loose'. As I mentioned, I felt a warmth coming over me in waves. Now, that could have been just before the a/c in the house kicked on :D but it was the exact opposite of something I mentioned in a previous post asking about kundalini awakening, where I felt waves of coldness come over me while just resting; there should have been no coldness because I was bundled in a heavy robe and under a throw blanket.

Namaste!
That's okay. I do the same thing, but I play Meera's bhajans. My house is usually pretty quiet, but I have way too much mental chatter to meditate in complete silence. I figure listening to Meera is better than listening to: "Did I leave the stove on? I don't think so... If I did, wouldn't the house be on fire by now? But what if it's just smoldering and I haven't noticed yet? Nah... that's ridiculous, right? Maybe I should just go check it... Okay, yeah, it's off. OH MY LORD! WHAT WAS THAT NOISE OUTSIDE! I'M GOING TO BE MURDERED! I'd better bring the phone with me just in case..." As you can tell, I get a little paranoid when left to my own designs for too long. :D

Well, my mind is like a squirrel looking for its stash of nuts and acorns too. I'm so happy I've found something that is like bicycle training wheels. :)

Vasa
27 July 2012, 01:53 PM
Namaste!

Namaste.

And here I thought I was the only one! I can't watch scary movies (not that I watch movies anyhow but especially not those) because I think every outside noise is the creature(s) from the movie. For at least a few days.

Pranam.