PDA

View Full Version : Jhansi Ki Rani!

ShivaFan
27 July 2012, 02:37 PM
Namaste!

The following story is true. But right off, let me make clear the one in mention here is not the same as the one I am married to (whom is also a Bengal tiger).

I want to mention about a girl, now a beautiful and married woman, a relative when long, long ago she was a “Tom Boy”. Now that is a term used here in the US, with affection. It means a girl who can take on any boy. She has the will, the spirit of life. So that was what she was (and still is), while at the same moment she is a beauty.

This story takes place in Assam, and in truth I do not know what was her actual age at the time but not more than 8 years of age.

She would take on and challenge any boy to marbles. She was always ready, and she always took all the marbles from the boys. She could shoot the bow and arrow. And fly kites – and she would challenge and take down any other kite in a battle of the sky, and even took down every boys kite even if they would not dare to battle with her.
Now like all children, who instinctively know the true nature of friendship with animals of merit, she loved the cows. I love the cows, too – especially the beautiful cows of India. But what she did one day, might make one imagine she perhaps didn’t love the cows as much as she was just simply a rascal. But in fact, she did love the cows, and she loved this cow on this particular day.

And on that day, this cow – which did not belong to her and which was rather a teenager cow – she decides “I am going to ride this cow”.
And so she did. She got up on that cow, and off they went. And they now were running in fast pace from the fields right into the village center and down the road. How did she hold onto the cow? By the ears? Sometimes not at all!

Everyone was horrified.

“Will she be injured?” ---- “Will the cow crash?” ---- “Look at them go!” ---- Jaldi! Jaldi! And main jaldi la Anewali hoon hAth mein chAkoo kekar!

But no. She was a hero. And then rode the cow back and dismounted.
And boy did she get it. Especially from her mother. But – mein bahut jaldi buddhi ho gayi.

I salute her spirit. This is the women I love! Jaldi! No one can stop them! From such, heroes are made!

And so that was just one little moment of her life. But a great moment, indeed! No she never became the Rani of Jhansi. She is the Rani, however.

And speaking of a Rani, there was a real Rani of a girl.

Her name. Rani Lakshmibai, the Maratha Rani of Jhansi 1835-1858 and a figure-head in the Rebellion of 1857 against the British East India Company. She was born in Kashi and her name was Manikarnika. Her mother died when she was four, and her father worked for the Peshwa of Bithoor who considered her like his own daughter and called her “Chhabili”. She was given an education, and she learned to ride a horse and shot the bow and arrow. Eventually she married the Maharaja of Jhansi Gangadhar Rao in 1842. They adopted a child as their own. This adopted child was rejected by the Company Governor-General Dalhousie to claimant to the Raja throne. Soon came the “war” in 1857, which started in Meerut and spread. This girl, the Jhansi ki Rani, actually lead troops valiantly and after one battle had to escape in the night with her adopted son. She again joined forces and engaged in battle against both the British and Maharajas as well, and at the fort of Gwalior on June 18 of 1858 against the 8th Irish Hussars she took the strike that took her glorious life.

The British commanders and officials all would tell the truth. Indeed Lakshmibai was so beautiful. And she was, as so many woman of India are.

You know, some will laugh when I tell the truth that I watch a TV series here in the USA, played on “ZeeTV”, called “Jhansi Ki Rani” which was produced in India. I am a big fan, and I don’t mind if you make fun of me for being such a fan. Ulka Gupta is amazing in her role as Manubai our Lakshmibai, she does more than an exemplary cast for the real Rani. It is the true story of an girl who went on to become a hero to the world. Her strong will, combined with her beauty, only shows what a girl can be who have the love in her heart for her community.

Of course, one can ask – “what does this have to do with Hinduism?”
Well, that is a good question. The only thing I can say to that is, it doesn’t matter how much others may try, they will never tame the tiger and beauty that is a woman in India! Maybe it is Hinduism that can be blamed!

Long before this TV series aired, I had in my large possession of books, a library which literally I pay over $100 dollars a month to keep all my books in a secure storage and safe from fire, there is a book about Lakshmibai. I read this book a long time ago, fixed to every page. Amazing! Amazing!
It is a prized possession.

I salute all such girls with such a spirit, I will never betray you simply because I am a man. I would gladly march with you!

Om Namah Sivaya!

Viraja
27 July 2012, 03:03 PM
For sure Smt. Jhansi Rani would have attained the highest heaven possible - one that is accessible for only the most valiant of the soldiers.

ShriBala
27 July 2012, 03:18 PM
A similar queen: Rani Ahilyabai Holkar. Very inspiring.