PDA

View Full Version : Maa kaali and shiva

kundanghanekar
01 August 2012, 10:03 AM
hi guys,how are you? Yesterday i m just going through images of goddess kaali and found one image in which she is standing on shiva body,do u know wat that means and wat is the story behind this?http://www.indhistory.com/hindu-gods/hindu-gods-kali.html

Shuddhasattva
02 August 2012, 12:10 AM
Namaste

When asking for meaning, know that there can be many, many levels of meaning.

The basic idea though is that jiva is decapitated by Kali until the true face of Shiva is revealed. The Jiva gives its head, willingly or unwillingly, to Kali in every life. The point of this visualization is to give one's head, one's ego, willingly.

This is expressed allegorically; Kali is drunk with blood and slaughter on the battlefield, and to pacify her, Shiva appears among the corpses. The slaughter ends when she recognizes her husband.

It is the dynamic dancing atop the static, emanated from his Heart.

shian
02 August 2012, 04:01 AM
Then also the another explanation that the fruit of devotion to Kali is liberation, beyond Three world.

The basic is, never forget that Shiva and Kali is one

Twilightdance
02 August 2012, 07:46 AM
Yesterday i m just going through images of goddess kaali and found one image in which she is standing on shiva body

Ideally she would be in copulation with shiva, but on top position [viparita ratatura], where shiva is shown as corpse like. Standing on shiva is a toned down public version ascribed to krishnananda agamavagisha of 16th century nawadwip in bengal. Death-sex / destruction-creation and Iccha shakti are the overwhelming theme in kali.

satay
02 August 2012, 10:45 AM
namaste singhi,

Death-sex .

Looks like you have been watching too many Indiana Jones movies.

Twilightdance
02 August 2012, 11:15 AM
namaste singhi,

James Bond, far more of those two. No?

Shuddhasattva
02 August 2012, 03:06 PM
namaste singhi,

Namaste

He has a good point, although I think he is referring to a separate dhyan entirely and liberties are being taken with 'viparita ratatura.' In the Kali tantras, the sexual nature of Kali, and Her enaction of samhara - withdrawal, provisionally represented in death metaphors, is very much emphasized and conjoint. We can usually contrast in shakta tradition between the Goddess' generative function and forms, and Her destructive function and forms, but in all cases, one is contained within the other.

kundanghanekar
24 August 2012, 11:34 AM
thanks guys for your efforts but still didn't get it.

Equinox
24 August 2012, 08:49 PM
Vannakkam

thanks guys for your efforts but still didn't get it.

Suddhasattva explained this well I feel. I must add that when she realised she was stepping on her husband, she put her tongue out in shame. You can read all about it in Wikipedia's Kali article, under the subtitle "Shiva In Kali Iconography".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali

Aum Namah Shivaya