PDA

View Full Version : Greetings everyone. A basic introduction.

Mr_Galaxy
04 August 2012, 12:41 AM
Hello,
I was born in the Bible Belt and, accordingly, was raised conservative Southern Baptist. When I was little, I loved going to church, but only because we got treats and colored while watching movies in Sunday school. When I stopped going to Sunday school, my interest in church severely dropped, but I still went along with it, because it was what "good people did". Once I actually paid attention in church, it amazed me how inefficient and cruel God was and I fell from Christianity in High School and became an Atheist.

Recently, I have been going on a spiritual and philosophical journey and I've come across Buddhism. I've also come across Hinduism and, while Hinduism and Buddhism quite different at their core, I have become interested in it as well.

The only thing I can hope is that me being on this site will be beneficial and a great learning experience. :)

Believer
04 August 2012, 11:32 PM
Namaste,

Welcome and hope your visits here are fruitful.

Pranam.

Sahasranama
05 August 2012, 04:09 AM
Welcome, the god of Abrahamic traditions is indeed cruel and evil and it is good that you have dropped that belief and went through atheism as a sort of purification, after which you can now explore a different perspective of the divine from the Indian traditions. You should not forget that western atheism and modern scepticism is still a big step removed from any spiritual tradition, including Buddhism. In pop religion this distinction is not made very clear, so a good start is to reading the critique on this prevalent misconception from some traditional Bhikkhu's: http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=64677&postcount=1

Eastern Mind
05 August 2012, 07:05 AM
Vannakkam Mr. Galaxy: Welcome to these forums.

Aum Namasivaya

Mr_Galaxy
12 July 2014, 07:08 PM
Namaste everyone. Mr Galaxy here.

It's been a while since I've been here, but I thought I would make a quick re-introduction of myself.

I've been a practitioner of Hinduism over a little over a year. I was a Buddhist for about 2 years; 1 1/2 of which I tried to mix Hinduism with it. After a while, I came to realize that I did believe in God and a soul, so I made my transition from Buddhism to Hinduism. Although I still believe Buddha to be a wise man who had more than a few good ideas.

The Deities whom I have on my heart and mind are Vishnu, Shiva, Narasimha, Hanuman, Ganesha, Murugan, and Mahadevi.

See you around the forums. :)