PDA

View Full Version : Sri Krishna Janmashtami

cmorel02
04 August 2012, 11:48 AM
Namaste!

I had a little question about the upcoming holiday. What day exactly is the midnight puja? I'm thinking it's the night of the ninth (first day of Krishna Janmashtami), but then I keep thinking it's on the tenth (second day). I'm trying to plan a little festival thing for the holiday for my town. Although it will probably be small, it might bring together the Hindus of Spokane!

Dhanyavadah!!!

Jetavan
04 August 2012, 11:51 AM
Here's what the Hare Krishnas in North Carolina (http://www.newgoloka.com/) are doing on the night of the 9th and early morning of the 10th:

7p - Arati, Darshan, Kirtan, Prasadam, Gift shop opens, Children’s activities
8p - Dramas, Dancing, kirtan/bhajans
10p - Maha Abhishekam begins
11p - Dandiya Raas/boat ride
12a - Midnight Arati
12:30a - Maha Prasadam feast

Jainarayan
04 August 2012, 02:12 PM
I think it depends on where you are and what calendar the local temple is following. Vaishnava Calendar as well as my temple (NJ, USA) have it at midnight of the 9th into the 10th. VC has the fast beginning sunrise on the 9th and broken on the 10th. Another temple in NJ has it Friday into Saturday, which is what India shows on VC.

9 Aug 2012
ThursdayAstami, K, 05:00 , Bharani
+Sri Krsna Janmastami: Appearance of Lord Sri Krsna - Fast till midnight, then Ekadasi preparations only

10 Aug 2012
FridayNavami, K, 05:01 , Krittika
+Break fast 05:01 - 09:41 (Daylight savings not considered)

http://www.guruvayurappantemple.org/images/Janmashtami2012.jpg

I'm confused about Maha Prasadam being at 9pm. I thought the fast was into the next morning.

Believer
04 August 2012, 04:28 PM
Namaste,

I'm confused about Maha Prasadam being at 9pm. I thought the fast was into the next morning.
Many mandirs make provision for people who are not fasting, so, they serve prasdam (by whatever name) all through the evening, as many Hindus don't even stick around till midnight. Once our mandir enforced the 'no prasadam' till midnight rule, and most people left right after the midnight aarti. They had tons of food with no takers.

Pranam.

Jainarayan
04 August 2012, 06:03 PM
Namaste Believer.

I see now. Thanks. :)

cmorel02
05 August 2012, 01:56 PM
Namaste my friends.

Thank you very much for your replies. I have an idea of what we can do. Ill start planning and start inviting people ASAP! Again, thank you!!

Dhanyavadah.

Believer
05 August 2012, 08:53 PM
Namaste,

Along the lines of a rocking chair for newborns, the old traditional thing in India was to have a tiny bassinet (or even a decorated small box) placed on a swing, for baby Krishna to be placed in and gently swung to keep Him happy. This is repeated till today with a small bassinet with chains on either side being somehow anchored to the door frame (or some other suitable high point in the temple/house), with baby Krishna being placed in the bassinet and the devotees taking turns to gently sway the swing. Oh, the memories -
Memories,
They light the corners of my mind,
Misty watercolor memories of the way we served the Lord,
Scattered pictures of the smiles He put on our faces, when we swung Him back and forth.
Memories........(with apologies to Barbara Streisand).

Pranam.

Jainarayan
06 August 2012, 08:01 AM
Namaste.

I will fast, and I want to go to temple that night. It will have to be right from work, around 6 pm because it is half way between work and home. No sense to go home, turn around and go back within an hour or two.

I want to stay til midnight at least, but #1 I have to go to work the next morning (unless I take 1/2 vac. day); #2 I don't know if I will be able to handle the sitting, standing, sitting, standing for 6-7 hours. The longest I've gone is 2-3 hours for evening pujas.

So, I don't know what my plans will be.

dhyandev
09 August 2012, 01:36 PM
Jap Significance ------
On the holy eve of Janmastami, Sri Krishna himself incarnated on Night at 12. Janmastami Night , is one of the Mahaaraatris when doing Japa, Dhyan is uncountable times beneficial than on a normal day. Keeping fast on Janmastami is more than thousand times beneficial than Ekadashi fast. A person, who, on this day, worships Lord Krishna washes away his sins, either great or small, or performed in childhood, youth, or maturity, in seven births