PDA

View Full Version : Pilgrimage to India?

Mr_Galaxy
09 August 2012, 08:57 AM
Just as Muslims will travel to Mecca as a part of their religion, and Christians may travel to Israel, is there a place in India that a Hindu would make a pilgrimage to?

ShivaFan
12 August 2012, 01:41 AM
Namaste Mr Galaxy

Oh my goodness, how can I even answer this question without being overwhelmed with excitement. Firstly, I am not qualified to give a definitive list of holy places and tirthas. The list is unimaginable! There are more such places than there are Devas! Literally there are places in India alone where every step is such a place! Mother India is Herself a Holy Destination! She is like "The Grand Trunk Road" for religion and teaching for the entire world. And I count Sri Lanka and Nepal, the entire Himalayas into the circle of Holy Places, as well as Bangladesh and parts of Pakistan (which is really India as well).

I am sure many members have the answers for you.

I will state one of the most desired and endowed Cities of the world in my opinion, but just off the top of my head there is Hardwar, Vrndavan, Mt Abu. I am now turning towards the South and Lanka which is rich with such tirthas.

But out of personal bias, let me mention the City and destination much desired and endowed with Light, Shakti, Divinity, Moksha, Nirvana, Bhakti, Jyan, and The Neverforsaken by Shiva, the place called Varanasi, the realm known as Kashi. The oldest city in the world where all the Gods have come together to be One. The gathering grounds of mystics, great yogis, Arhants, for countless eons.

In Kashi, there is a Divine Girl. She is called Manikarnika Devi. She never leaves Kashi. Ask Her, She can tell you many things about Kashi. Many souls have travelled to That Place. I think I see you have an image of Buddha on your footnote? Well Buddha came to Kashi and spoke of the Wheel. Many have come. For so many it is the last place they go, or ever will go.

There are many places. Many. But that's my "two cents".

Om Namah Sivaya

wundermonk
12 August 2012, 02:34 AM
is there a place in India that a Hindu would make a pilgrimage to?

There are literally 100s of places that are sacred to a Hindu. If you are more specific about a state/part of the country, you can narrow down the list to a manageable few.

In general, the sacred places are usually associated with a famous temple/deity. The holy places are Kanyakumari, Madurai, Sabarimalai, Belur, Halebid, Tirupathi, Somnath, Haridwar, Kashi, Ayodhya, Kailash Mansarovar, Amarnath, etc., etc.

Given that you are/were a Buddhist, parts of Bihar/UP may be to your special liking - Bodhgaya, Sarnath, etc.

Many of these cities have a history going back to 5000-6000 BC. Many of our deities are believed to have walked the very earth on which these cities stand. For a learned educated devotee, visiting these places of worship is a sacred deeply spiritual experience beyond words. Imagine, for instance, the feeling a Buddhist will have when he visits the very tree under which Buddha is supposed to have achieved enlightenment. Enough to make one's hair stand on end! But for the aam janta (ordinary folks) living in and around these places, this has been lost. Indians are notoriously bad at keeping up their culture and traditions. So, do not expect any "sacred"ness from Indians you encounter from these places, if you decide to visit.

Shuddhasattva
12 August 2012, 04:41 AM
Namaste

Indians are notoriously bad at keeping up their culture and traditions. So, do not expect any "sacred"ness from Indians you encounter from these places, if you decide to visit.I understand the spirit behind these comments, but I am not sure it is fully thought-out...

Yes, Indians today poorly reflect the ancient traditions, and few know anything of substance about our religion, let alone practice it...

However, as compared to everywhere else around the world, I do not think we can say that Indians are 'notoriously poor' at maintaining the traditions.

In fact, nowhere else have systems for maintaining traditions been as successful as in India.

IMO, it is important that we respect the heroic efforts of those before us to preserve the dharma that we may in turn preserve it, and pass it down in more full and less-fragmented fashion than we received it.

As far as the OP, there are innumerable places of pilgrimage in India, but I would submit that in order to be an effective pilgrim, one must have already a well-developed sense of which gods, saints, etc., one is drawn to.

Ganeshprasad
12 August 2012, 05:05 AM
Pranam

Where does one start? There is no comparison, there are so many tirth to visit, we spend whole life time and not finish them and for some just a dip in holy water is enough. Then again some will say what's the use of all the tirth if you ignore the very tirth that brought us in this world.
Going on pilgrimage goes a long way, long before we can even imagine. Story in Ramayan comes to mind, Sravan is taking his old parents to pilgrim, carrying them on his shoulder.

Going to Kumbh mela to get that Amrit (nectar) that fell in 4 places, haridwar, prayag, nasik and ujain is biggest gathering of devotees anywhere on earth.

Sankracharya, comparatively in modern times established Char(4)Dham in four corners of India Badri/Kedar in the Himalayas, Rameshvaram in the south, Puri in the east and Dwarka in the west.

Char Dham is also a yatra in himalay, gangotri, yamnotri, kedrnath and badrinath.

A lot of Hindus will also wish to do 12 joytir ling, culminating in pashupati nath in Nepal. There are so many tirth in Nepal it self.

Mansorovar is another destination and going round the Kailash is a sight to behold.

Just don't know where to begin and where to end, least I forget Arunachal before EM gets to me.

Jai Shree Krishna

wundermonk
12 August 2012, 06:06 AM
I understand the spirit behind these comments, but I am not sure it is fully thought-out...

Point noted. Perhaps I should have worded my thoughts better.

What I meant is along the lines of the following:

"The average Indian Hindu on the roads (aam junta) does not have a clue about his culture/tradition. This is not helped by the fact that the average Indian Hindu is also poor and can not appreciate how historically special places can be made into great tourist attractions earning much needed foreign exchange for the country. The successive governments at the centre/state have also failed to capitalize on the rich tradition/culture of India."

Not sure if the above is better, but atleast it is a more thoughtful attempt on my part!

Ganeshprasad
12 August 2012, 07:10 AM
Pranam

Point noted. Perhaps I should have worded my

thoughts better.

What I meant is along the lines of the following:

"The average Indian Hindu on the roads (aam junta) does not have a clue about his culture/tradition. This is not helped by the fact that the average Indian Hindu is also poor and can not appreciate how historically special places can be

From where I originate from, I have no doubt an average Hindu still yearn for a pilgrim to holy places, from what I have seen Gujratis, Rajeshthanis also my last visit to Guruvayur, oh I forget them pilgrims wearing black in their 1000s, I am sure those who in the know will remind me that special yatra they undertake. It is in our blood, no matter what I still have faith it will endure.

made into great tourist attractions earning much needed foreign exchange for the country. The successive governments at the centre/state have also failed to capitalize on the rich tradition/culture of India."

Not sure if the above is better, but atleast it is a more thoughtful attempt on my part!

Perish the thought when our culture become tourist attraction, a sure way of killing what's left.

Jai Shree Krishna

Eastern Mind
12 August 2012, 08:41 AM
Vannakkam Mr. Galaxy: Others here have pretty much summed up the idea of pilgrimage, and given many places of pilgrimage, so I'll take a more practical angle for you, in case one day you actually consider it. Many consider it as sacred duty.

I'm not really sure how old you are, or your experiences in travelling. Undertaking a pilgrimage to India, coming from a western background and country, is no small task. It can be very overwhelming, and many travellers (I'm referring to those used to western conditions) spend a day, and then want to get back on the plane. For this aspect of it, I strongly suggest browsing the travel forum Indiamike. It's not like jumping on a plane, or in your car, going to San Francisco. There would need to be more preparation. One of these is just spending more time in a Hindu temple.

India itself, all ideas of pilgrimage aside, can be really overwhelming. Sounds, sights, traffic, smells, bustle, heat, water and food, and much more will hit your senses like nothing else you have ever experienced. Yet the power of the temple, the Hinduness of the place, and more is well worth it. I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm just saying 'be prepared'.

Here's a link to the condensed journal of my first trip. It will give you some ideas of the realities of it.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3738&highlight (http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3738&highlight=Tiruchendur)

Aum Namasivaya

Mr_Galaxy
13 August 2012, 12:01 AM
There are literally 100s of places that are sacred to a Hindu. If you are more specific about a state/part of the country, you can narrow down the list to a manageable few.

I suppose Ganesha is the primary deity that I can think of.

c.smith
13 August 2012, 05:44 AM
Hari Om!

Am fortunate enough to be in a position to travel to India every other month or so and always consider it a pilgrimage. Often I will visit some of the same temples and shrines that have become familiar friends, but always try to venture into others as well. Seems to be those off the beaten path that offer surprises untold. One being a cave ashram just outside of Rishikesh that I believe I may have posted in another thread. Have never felt so much peace. Many would not consider that a true pilgrimage, but to me it is certainly sacred and is near the banks of the holy Ganges to boot. What more could one want?

Other places for me include Satguru's ashram in Ahmedabad. Also on a river and offers peace and tranquility. A true holy place.

I truly appreciate the posts that have come before mine as they will be much more to your liking and certainly much more useful, but your thread inspired me so I must thank-you.

Jai Jai Hanuman!!

Eastern Mind
13 August 2012, 07:14 AM
I suppose Ganesha is the primary deity that I can think of.

Vannakkam: Although Ganesha is found in 95% of the temples, He is usually not the main deity. There are a few of temples where that is the case though. I know of 3 more famous ones in Tamil Nadu ... Rajaganapathi in Salem, Pillaiyarpatti, and Uchi Pillaiyar in Trichy. I'm sure there are others elsewhere. Often pilgrimages are grouped, in a group of temples, like the 12 Jyotirlingams (Siva), 5 elemental lingams (Siva), 6 Murugan temples (arapadaveedu pilgrimage) of the 9 navagaraha temples around Kumbakonam. Please understand that India is home to a minimum of 20 000 temples, of which at least 1000 are 'famous' in some way.

Aum Namasivaya