Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: lalitā

  1. #11

    Re: lalitā

    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    namast


    It is the tradition to keep this knowledge confidential. Under whose authority ? śrī hayagrīva. So , please be mindful of this as we respect the wishes of the wise. I will not discuss this mantra or its use and I ask others to refrain also.

    praṇām
    i know hence just gave a pointer and no mantra or more details on the Vidya it self.

    If however you still find it in appropiate kindly let me know i will delete it.

    with best

  2. #12
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    218

    Re: lalitā

    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~


    namast

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    i know hence just gave a pointer and no mantra or more details on the Vidya it self.

    If however you still find it in appropiate kindly let me know i will delete it.

    with best
    I will leave that choice to you... thank you for considering the request.

    praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  3. #13
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    381

    Re: lalitā

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    It is the tradition to keep this knowledge confidential. Under whose authority ? śrī hayagrīva. So , please be mindful of this as we respect the wishes of the wise. I will not discuss this mantra or its use and I ask others to refrain also.
    Why is this so? one may ask.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 16 August 2012 at 03:43 AM.

  4. #14

    Re: lalitā

    you quoted me but it was Yajvan who said that. Any cow i see you are in bangalore. The only thing i can say is the answer is right there in your city for four more days till 20th. try and catch it

  5. #15
    Join Date
    June 2012
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    307
    Rep Power
    381

    Re: lalitā

    Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    you quoted me but it was Yajvan who said that. Any cow i see you are in bangalore. The only thing i can say is the answer is right there in your city for four more days till 20th. try and catch it
    Yes..I was starting to make a remark on your point on the supposed 2 bija mantras, but the changed context. Care to elaborate what are you talking about?

    edit to add: after deploying google as i don't have much to do, i may know what you are suggesting, but I am not planning for an ascension on 21 Dec 2012.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 16 August 2012 at 09:52 AM.

  6. #16

    Re: lalitā

    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    namast


    In the 68th name of lalitā-sahasanāma, She is mentioned as mounting on cakrarāja , mounted on the ratha (chariot) and She is armed with all the weapons, as the śloka points out. We will look at each weapon later ( arrows, bow, etc).

    So we hear of cakrarāja in this 68th śloka + geyacakra ( in the 69th śloka) + kiricakra ( in the 70th śloka). If we look at each , it will help us better understand the offer. For this post I will offer what I know of cakrarāja and review the others on a different post.

    This cakrarāja means cakra+rāja - or the royal cakra, the most high cakra as rāja means king. Hence this cakrarāja is referring to śrīcakra. This śloka says She is armed with all the weapons ( all the means) or sarvayudhāni.
    But all the means for what ? To attain the direct knowledge of the Self. All the means are called out within the śiva sūtra-s and its practical applications in the vijāna bhairava kārikā-s to name a few. One can also say the weapons ( the means) are called out in patajalis yogadarśana.


    Now what of this śrīcakra ? This post will answer in the best way I know how the question of 9 chariots as requested by JaiMaaDurga : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...0&postcount=14


    praṇām
    Namaste yajvan,

    Many thanks for your gracious reply- it has prompted more thorough
    investigation and reflection; to be brief, it is like remembering that a
    coin possesses three sides, not only two... Devi does indeed reward
    greatly sincere efforts of Her children to draw closer to Her!

    JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

  7. #17
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    218

    Re: lalitā

    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    namasté


    Starting with the 65th name of lalitā , bhaṇḍāsura is brought into view or mentioned; bhaṇḍā is then again mentioned in the 72nd; in 74th name bhaṇḍaputra ( the sons of bhaṇḍa) are mentioned. In the 75th name, the brothers of bhaṇḍa are called out.

    Who is this bhaṇḍāsura ? By definition bhaṇḍa is a jester , buffoon , mime. We have an idea of what āsura is , a demon. Yet we must look to its components for a greater apprecation of this word. Lets look at it as asu + ra :

    • asu - is life , the vital breaths or airs of the body
    • āsu - is to distil or press out.
    • ra - has many positive uses and negitive uses; in this case it is seen a fire, that which burns up. When viewed from its root rā it means surrender.
    • So for this use asu + ra is that which burns up, or removes life breath.
    If we apply it to bhaṇḍāsura it is that entitity that removes the life-force from the bhaṇḍa. Yet this bhaṇḍa is more then just a jester. It is us. It is us, within our human form that is considered the buffoon. The bhaṇḍa is considered the embodied soul, the human condition.
    It is the bhaṇḍāsura that takes away the life-breath from us.

    Now one more look of asu is needed to really appreciate this idea. This term asu also means life of the spiritual world, of spiritual existence. It is the bhaṇḍāsura that takes this away from us! This is why the devā-s are always fighting with the āsura , to allow the human being to return to one's own 'asu', ones own spiritual condition.

    So, in the 65th name of lalitā it says She is surrounded by those energies (śakti-s) for slaying the bhaṇḍāsura . She is there for our support. She is ready to destroy the the sons¹ of bhaṇḍa ( 74th name). She takes delight in slaying the brothers of bhaṇḍa (75th name). The brothers are viṣaṇga and viśukra.


    • viṣaṇga - the hanging on or being attached to i.e. cravings
    • viśukra =vi+ śukra 'vi' is away from, distinction or opposition + sukra = purity.
      • viś + sukra means to fall away from purity or light as śukra is brightness, splendor.
    It is She that wishes us to become unbound ( without bandha&#185.

    praṇām


    words
    • sons of bhaṇḍa are impurties within the human condition some call mala.
    • bandha = capture , arrest , imprisonment , in custody , bound
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 August 2012 at 07:03 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  8. #18
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    218

    Re: lalitā

    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    namasté

    I wrote above,
    It is the tradition to keep this knowledge confidential.


    Is there any indication within the lalitā-sahasanāma that infers this confidentiality ?
    If we look to the 91st and 92nd names (namaḥ) of lalitā it says the following:
    • kulasaṅketapālinī
    • kulāṅganā
    Let's take the 1st name kulasaṅketapālinī and look at it this way:
    kula +saṅketa + pālinī
    • kula - this world is extreamely flexible and used to mean many things such as
      • a herd , troop , flock , assemblage , multitude , number
      • a race , family , community , tribe , caste , set , company
      • a high station i.e. chief , principal
      • it is also used in jyotish as 'a principal day' , such as the 4th and 8th and 12th and 14th day in a pakṣa,(a half-month of the moon's cycle)
    Because of its ability 'to group' as a 'set' it can be applied to the grouping of scriptures as well as a family ( of scriptures) or
    a family of people.
    • saṅketa = saṃketa = hint , symbol, sign or gesture.
    • pālinī - protecting , guarding , keeping

    So when we look at this word we can sumise kula +saṅketa + pālinī as the one the protects the hidden symbols or signs of scriptures.
    Well what is there to protect ? Because lalitā is tripurasundarī-devī therefore there must be 3 things of a secret nature:

    • śrī cakra
    • mantra
    • worship
    In the next word-name of lalitā we are told she is kulāṅganā - this says she is a limb (āṅga) of a chief or principal family (kula). More so āṅga is defined as princess of that country ( or family).

    Well at face value (abhidhā or the conventional meaning i.e. the literal meaning ) that is mildly interesting, but there must be more to
    this , no ?

    Think of people that are in a high station, a princess, how often do you see them with the common people ? Common people here infers 'common knowledge' ... It is rare that these are co-mingled.

    We must also not pass up the sound '' - the last phoneme found in kulāṅgawhich means welfare, knowledge, a gem.

    Now we have She as kulāṅganā is chief and principal, but her knowledge is hidden from view, just as one would hold a precious
    gem in seclusion.


    So by these two names it suggests She and her knowledge is hidden from view... but where is it found ? In the 93rd name of the lalitā-sahasanāma - kulāntasthā. We can leave this for another time.


    praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 16 August 2012 at 07:06 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  9. #19
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    218

    Re: lalitā

    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    namast

    If we look at the last post ( number 18) there is attention out on 'kula'. IN fact the there are additional nmes for śrīmātā that include this notion of 'kuta' i.e. 90th , 91st, 92nd, 93rd , 94th, 440th. But when we get to the 95th name of śrīmātā She is called out as as akulā. Akulā = a + kulā = not kulā. How can this be ?


    praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 17 August 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

  10. #20
    Join Date
    September 2006
    Age
    69
    Posts
    7,705
    Rep Power
    218

    Re: lalitā

    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

    namast


    Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post

    If we look at the last post ( number 18) there is attention out on 'kula'. IN fact the there are additional nmes for śrīmātā that include this notion of 'kuta' i.e. 90th , 91st, 92nd, 93rd , 94th. But when we get to the 95th, 440th name of śrīmātā She is called out as as akulā. Akulā = a + kulā = not kulā. How can this be ?


    praṇām
    There are two or three explanations.
    • a + kulā = not kulā = without an origin - She is without a beginning.
    • a + kulā can also mean the she is of the kula ( family) of 'a'.
      And who is 'a' ? This a is the first vowel of saṃskṛtam and in devanāgarī looks like this . T
      his अ looks a bit familiar?


    It is owned śiva and this looks like his triśūla. Śiva owns this 'a' and all the vowels of saṃskṛtam . So this a + kulā could mean She that is of the kula ( family) of śiva.
    • Another view is that at the top of the suṣumṇā there is sahasrāna padma and this is called akula; She resides there and therefore called akulā.
      Now, I have yet to read the actual śloka and its translation that suggests this in the svachaṇda sangraha āgama so I rely on paṇḍita LM Jośi's view on this matter. If I come across the orginal śloka's translation and it differs I will update this post accordingly.
    praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

    _

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need to know the exact mantra meanings
    By anatman in forum Shakta
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 16 June 2011, 10:54 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •