Thread: 24-7

24-7

Vannakkam: In the west there is the 'derogatory' term of Sunday Christian, referring to people who go to church for an hour or two every Sunday morning, but that's where religious life starts and ends. The other 167 hours of the week anything goes.

I see occasional parallels or similarities in Hinduism, one of them being not eating meat only on the days when you go to temple. Others are meditating 20 minutes a day as the totality of religious practice. "I did my religion for the day." Clearly this attitude focuses on the external, not the internal.

So how do we practice 24-7? Suggestions? One simple thing I 'try' to do is in greeting. You know what 'Namaste' means? How many of us actually think "The divinity in me greets the divinity' in you? For everyone? Even if the greeting is a 'Hi' or a 'Hello', shouldn't we still be thinking 'Namaste'.

So if this is truly a 24-7 religion, shouldn't we try to behave like it is? How do others 'try' this?

Aum Namasivaya

Re: 24-7

Namaskara Eastern Mindji,

Strictly speaking, my 'sadhana' ends in 30-minute-a-day sessions I feel bad about this, I wish to do a 1 or 2 hr-a-day sadhana for the sattwa guna to permeate through but I'm too lazy for that.

But, I try as much to 'give the fruits' of my prayer to someone-else-suffering. My sister has got some serious health problems so I always wish to say after each sloka, "O god (Hanuman, Rama...) please give the fruits of this prayer to her". I did one round of it earlier, these days I'm doing this more frequently.

I also read 'Sundarakhanda' similarly for a friend wishing her a good 2nd marriage, hopefully that comes along.

I listen to Star-Vijay TV's bhakti programs mostly throughout the day.

I try to avoid as much of jealousy, competition in me and try to speak the truth in as much situations I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: In the west there is the 'derogatory' term of Sunday Christian, referring to people who go to church for an hour or two every Sunday morning, but that's where religious life starts and ends. The other 167 hours of the week anything goes.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM,
    I thought christians only go to churches on sunday..all my christian friends go to churches on sunday itself..
    it's funny having such term as derogatory.

I'm sure there are rituals mentioned in scriptures to lead a good spiritual life like brahmins recite Gayatri mantra in rivers and do suryanamaksara but that age is gone we live in Kali yug..may be few brahmins are still practising today but most don't. Again there is a fine demarcation between being religious and being spiritual. Religion is a lot of rituals..while spiritual is having divinity or a universal force in everything you do and lead your life. That's where Buddhists are successful as their religion and way of life is one and the same
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Vannakkam: Sunday Christian is like phony Christian. I'm with the comment on Buddhists, although I know nothing of Buddhism. But the point is: Instead of praying for your troubled sister, pick up the phone, or jump in the car and go visit her. Yes, pray too, but the key is how to effectively shift thoughts to action. There is this disconnect between what one does ritually, and how one lives. In other words, Sunday Christians, and others of other faiths who 'play the game' but then go cheat in the game.

I'm working on it.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

And just what does a Hindu have to do to be a non-phony hindu? How many miles should he or she travel? What should they do to look like a non sunday Hindu?

Arunachala Siva

But the point is: Instead of praying for your troubled sister, pick up the phone, or jump in the car and go visit her. Yes, pray too, but the key is how to effectively shift thoughts to action. There is this disconnect between what one does ritually, and how one lives. In other words, Sunday Christians, and others of other faiths who 'play the game' but then go cheat in the game.
    Namaste

I'm sorry, but that's preachy and, in my opinion, disrespectful to aspirant's earnest prayers.

I did like your first post about 'Namaste' though.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Shuddhasattva View Post
    Namaste

I'm sorry, but that's preachy and, in my opinion, disrespectful to aspirant's earnest prayers.

I did like your first post about 'Namaste' though.

Namaste
    Vannakkam: I apologize to Aspirant. It was meant as an example of what I was trying to say in general, and certainly I could have used a better example. The whole idea is to put what we learn into practice on a daily basis. With regard to 'Namaste', I think it should be applied to all greetings, and dealings with people, like clerks, waitresses, etc. If on one hand we are saying 'God is in all things, but especially people,' even if the greeting is 'hello' I try to think of them as sparks of divinity. Much tougher with certain people, admittedly, so the operative word is 'try'.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

And just what does a Hindu have to do to be a non-phony hindu? How many miles should he or she travel? What should they do to look like a non sunday Hindu?

Arunachala Siva
    Vannakkam: I have no idea. Apply something. My father dropped out of the Christian church at age 8 or so when he went, and the sermon lesson that day was 'Be kind to others' and then immediately afterwards right outside the church he was bullied. He never went back.

More on Sunday Christian .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Christian http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...37;20Christian

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I understand where your coming from. I think there may be a danger of beginning to judge others who are deemed to be once out of the week hindus. Then while we are outwardly hindu inwardly we could be filled with judgements. I know this first hand after dealing with Islam I have judged fundamentalist etc, but it only creates resistance within myself.

Arunacahala Siva

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I apologize to Aspirant. It was meant as an example of what I was trying to say in general, and certainly I could have used a better example. The whole idea is to put what we learn into practice on a daily basis. With regard to 'Namaste', I think it should be applied to all greetings, and dealings with people, like clerks, waitresses, etc. If on one hand we are saying 'God is in all things, but especially people,' even if the greeting is 'hello' I try to think of them as sparks of divinity. Much tougher with certain people, admittedly, so the operative word is 'try'.

Aum Namasivaya
    No problemo, EMji!! I was just wondering about those volunteers who render great services to humanity, even simple volunteering such as helping the orphans, the debilitated, poor or elderly by reading them books, etc. I am not doing any of those So that is why I kept quiet.

Secondly, I was raised in schools where my only exposure to English had been text books, no scholarly English or spoken English. And especially in this forum, including your message, I find English hard to understand. So that is another reason I remained silent.

NO apologies needed. Thank you for the clarification.

Thread Information