Thread: Hindu stand on Debt?

Hindu stand on Debt?

Namaste

I was curious about the opinion of Hindu yogis, Saints and Gurus, as well as scripture, in regards to debt. I did find this:

"In the Mahabharata, Yudhishtra replied in response to Yaksha that a 'man without debt is truely happy'".

I agree. A small amount of debt, e.g. monetary debt, is unavoidable in modern society. But notable debt is a problem in society, and so my question in regards to this matter stands - what is the Hindu position, are there quotes from enlightened Hindus and Saints, what does Sacred Texts say?

Jai Mother Annapurna. Those who beg alms from Her are feed in body and in soul.

Re: Hindu stand on Debt?

Vannakkam ShivaFan: Having read that a long time ago, I took it to heart, and haven't carried debt (with one important exception ... a mortgage) for some 30 years. Beyond a mortgage, all other debts are doable in my opinion. And that one can be paid off quicker than most lenders want to let you.

I think it is the lender that's committing adharma. The justified borrower (a mortgage) is just a victim of circumstance. The Tirukkkurral talks of it also.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Hindu stand on Debt?

Namaste,

I am not sure if there is anything authoritative that exists on a monetary debt, but on the practical side, in today's economy it is unavoidable. Even the mandirs are made with loans from the banks.

Home mortgage is something that everyone needs, as no one can accumulate enough cash to pay for it at the time of purchase. The credit cards to me, are a convenient way of handling purchases, and I pay off the full amount at the end of the month. One thing I don't want to do is to die with an unpaid credit, or to not have enough in my estate to pay it off. That would definitely require me to be reincarnated here to repay the debt in the next lifetime.

Pranam.

Thread Information