Thread: Reasoning for not shaving on Saturday?

Reasoning for not shaving on Saturday?

My mother tells me that I shouldn't shave on Saturday or Tuesday, and she said that they were special days for Hanuman. Although, I would like to know more, how can shaving be considered a bad thing?

Usually, my friends and I like to enjoy some mild alcoholic drinks on Saturday nights. I know alcohol is bad, but should it be especially be avoided on days like Saturday?

Thanks.

Re: Reasoning for not shaving on Saturday?

I'm not sure if our members are just lazy or unable to perform basic searches. I didnt provide a specific site since I'm trying to show you how easy it is and also because of the variety of answers. https://www.google.tt/search?q=hindu...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Hi Bigdreamer,

I am also a little bit confused with all the Hindu rituals and practices so I understand your dilemma. From what I have heard, Tuesday is a bad day to start anything new or do a big thing. I know lots of people who do not eat meat on Saturday. I think there is probably a bunch of things that you are not supposed to do on those two days. For example, I read somewhere that you should not wash hair on Saturday. I am also confused about the reason. Hopefully, some more experienced member can help us out.

Vannakkam: There is no absolute bad, and I don't think one should put a ton of time into thinking along these lines, but that's just my POV. If it's convenient to get a haircut on some other day, than fine. An example might be if you get a new job, and the employer says 'Start Tuesday' I don't think you should not accept the job.

So perhaps a phrase like 'less conducive towards auspiciousness' is better than bad. I don't think anybody should be staying is bed for fear its a 'bad' day.

Aum Namasivaya

Pranam

A lot of old folks I know would fast on Saturday, if that is the case, my old man gave me that as a reason, not to cut hair when fasting. Perhaps that is why it got set in stone. Could be other reasons.
    I know a lot of people fast for the month of Sravan and not cut the hair, that is why they would have grown a beard.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti29 View Post
    I'm not sure if our members are just lazy or unable to perform basic searches. I didnt provide a specific site since I'm trying to show you how easy it is and also because of the variety of answers. https://www.google.tt/search?q=hindu...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    It would be lazy IF it helped me answer all the questions asked in my post.

Thread Information