Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Green Rama and The Blue Rama

The Green Rama and The Blue Rama

Namaste

We know that Krishna is Blue. Though sometimes the description “cloud of the monsoon” is used to describe Lord Krishna’s color. And of course, I believe Krishna is indeed blue.

And we all know of the descriptions of Ram as Blue, and visions and revelations in relation to the “Avatar” concept of Vishnu, but this is not so much an avatar question. Yes Rama is Blue.

But the Rama of my devotion, this Rama is Green. Yes, Rama is Blue. And also Green. Or can that not be possible? To me, the Green Rama is very much an aspect that is personally powerful for me. It has nothing to do with a liking for the color green, though green is also my favorite color, but my favoritism is irrelevant and has nothing to do with this Bhakti . But I am captured by Devi in Her Green aspects, the connection is immediate for me and obvious to me. But whatever the case in regards to Goddess, there is a Blue Rama and also there is revealed to mystics, devotees and artists a Green Rama.

I recall reading a Bengali version of the Ramayana in which Rama was clearly depicted and described as Green skinned. I also recall when I was a child of reading a book on “Hindu Temples of Singapore” in which an oil painting from a small Temple (I recall the temple had, in part, straw grass thatched roofing!) depicting Rama as Green skinned. I was fascinated and very attracted to that painting. I have been to Singapore a few times, but never saw this temple.

In Thailand, where the evidence seems to indicate that the Ramayana was brought by South Indian Brahmins, Rama is almost always depicted as Green skinned. I have seen this in Cambodian depictions as well, clearly an historical marker from South India or perhaps Bengal.

In Tamil texts we read Rama as "Rama Pachai" or Rama the Green, but this may be open to some blending of fabric terms and religious history (Tamil clearly distinguishes between the colors green pachai, and blue neelam. There is also “Elam” which is light color and “Ven” which is darkercolor, thus “Elam Pachai” would be “Light Green”) ...

Below I have uploaded an Oriya (Orissa) painting of Radha-Krishna Lila (see thumb nail). Various aspects of “Avatar” are shown (implying they are all Avatar of Krishna as centric rather than Vishnu), and Rama is clearly shown as Green Rama. Also, I have noticed that Radha-Krishna devotees and Sampradayas of such teaching often depict Ram as Green, though these devotees are often North Indian or Bengali in origin and not South Indian.

Below is shown the Navratri Dasara Kolu Festival, South India, we see the Green Rama:

On theThird Day of Durga Navarathri, we see Gayatri Devi Mata worshipped multi-faced as with Blue and Green skinned in South Indian states. Of course, I am a devotee of Devi as being Green in the example Valli Devi the Beloved of Murugan. Of course, whether this is pertinent to Green Rama is to be said or argued, but there is a South Indian mystic (but very real and very electric) element to all of this?

My attachment to the Green Rama will not change. But I am curious as to the response of others in regards to this “hot topic”, which I think is a very interesting and even fun topic as well, in particular any insights from South Indian friends ...

Om Namah Sivaya

Attached Images Attached Images

Re: The Green Rama and The Blue Rama

Both Sri Rama and Sri Krishna were black, not blue.
    Here's a 14th century painting on Wikipedia from Udaipur.

Namaste TTCUSM

Thank you for sharing this! Yes Krishna is Black, I have seen that in Vrindavan. But you know I have also seen Krishna as White, often with the Queen. In Mathura Krishna Murthi as White is seen in temples. But of course you are right, I have Krishna as Black as truth.
    Below is one of my favorite paintings, Krishna with the Cowherd boys. They are of every color-

Http://www.krishna.org/images/Krishna/lunch.jpg

But what of Green Rama? South Indians, do you have insights?
    Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste!

I have seen depictions of Krishna as blue and as black. But usually blue. Perhaps the Green Rama was a way to distinguish him from the Blue Krishna - Although of course the iconography is different, at a quick glance I can see where someone might confuse a Blue Krishna with a Blue Rama or Vishnu.

I have heard that the color blue was related to the sky and therefore the heavens or to celestial bodies and this is one reason Krishna and Vishnu are blue. But I can't rule out the possibility that this logic is based on guesswork. I'd be curious if there is any reason given in the scriptures for the blue color.

However, if we wanted to follow that line of reasoning we'd have to assume that Rama is Green for some other phenomenon in nature. And when I think of the color green I think of the earth. (though it is 70% water)

I am just speculating really. I'd be interested to know more about the green Rama, since this post was the first I'd heard of him being depicted green.

Thank you for sharing, Shivafan!

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I heard recently that Sri Vishnu and his avataras are all dark because they are so to resemble the rain clouds that shower the rain impartial of who or which place they are pouring on. Similarly these gods also shower their mercy impartially and hence they are dark hued like the rain clouds.

I have a Tanjavur painting of Sri Rama whom I pray to everyday and he is the green-blue colour as depicted in the Kolu in the original message of this thread.

Rama is supposed to be Green in colour and there is a very popular 'Ramar colour' known in South India for that hue of Green. (I think he must have been a very light Green hue though).
    Last edited by Viraja; 15 September 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    Namaste!

I have seen depictions of Krishna as blue and as black. But usually blue. Perhaps the Green Rama was a way to distinguish him from the Blue Krishna - Although of course the iconography is different, at a quick glance I can see where someone might confuse a Blue Krishna with a Blue Rama or Vishnu.

I have heard that the color blue was related to the sky and therefore the heavens or to celestial bodies and this is one reason Krishna and Vishnu are blue. But I can't rule out the possibility that this logic is based on guesswork. I'd be curious if there is any reason given in the scriptures for the blue color.

However, if we wanted to follow that line of reasoning we'd have to assume that Rama is Green for some other phenomenon in nature. And when I think of the color green I think of the earth. (though it is 70% water)

I am just speculating really. I'd be interested to know more about the green Rama, since this post was the first I'd heard of him being depicted green.

Thank you for sharing, Shivafan!

Peace!
    To what end do you need to speculate? That is an issue that should be addressed by oneself through introspection. It is restlessness of the mind that one needs to constantly analyze, interpret, re-interpret, and speculate on the veracity of various things. Speculation has a time and place. When one wishes to focus one's mind on the divine, "speculation" and other such balderdash is mere noise.

What difference or effect does it have whether there is a blue rAmA or green rAmA? What if it was pink? May be one might speculate rAmA was gay?

Sri Rama and Sri Krishna were DARK-SKINNED. This is ample reason to demolish any notion that caste has to do anything with "race" or skin-color.

Deleted....
    Last edited by ShriBala; 11 December 2012 at 06:46 AM.

For what it's worth, the Valmiki Ramayana contains references to Rama being blue and also sometimes to being brown, but it never (at least as far as the text through beginning of Uttara-khanda) says that He is green.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

I stand corrected (well, sort of). I checked my notes, and found one shloka which the Gita Press translator did translate as indicating green color of Rama:

padma varNam sukesha antam padma nihshvaasam uttamam |
    kadaa drakShyaami raamasya vadanam puShkara iikShaNam || 2-61-8

8. kadaa = when; drakSyaami = shall I see; vadanam = the face; raamasya = of Rama; padma varNam = with the colour of a lotus; sukesha antam = framed with marvelous locks; padma niHshvaasam = of lotus-perfume; puSkara iikSaNam = with eyes resembling lotus-petals; uttamam = and excellent?

"When can I see the face of Rama with the colour of a lotus, framed with marvelous locks of lotus-perfume, with eyes resembling lotus-petals and excellent?"
    However, looking at the Sanskrit, I'm not entirely sure why the GP translator thought this was a reference to green color. Aren't lotuses usually some other color besides green? Note that I live in a country in which blooming lotuses are not seen as a general rule - hence my cluelessness on this topic.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste

I have seen Rama murtis and depictions, and visual descriptions as well from teachers, of Ram as golden, or even black like Krsna though this is rare. But ultimately His color does not matter neither to Him nor His devouts, He is an experience and very real presence to countless devotees and seen even today by Saints.

Hanuman is seen as well. Some believe He is living verily today and both here and there and the next only. I do believe also.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information