Thread: The Hindu Art of Raja Ravi Varma

The Hindu Art of Raja Ravi Varma

Namaste

A Story of a Poster

It had been haunting my mind for weeks. I had mentioned awhile back in a previous post about a particular Krishna poster, a print that back in the 1960’s and early 1970’s was not too difficult to obtain in the United States but dear to those who possessed it indeed. This print could be found in the apartment or make shift temple of flower children in San Francisco, in the “Western” temples of both Vaishnava and Saiva be they a small rental in New York City to a beautiful home in Boston.

This print was special. Not only because of its significance, but it indeed was the gateway to Hinduism for so many. And it was even a gateway in itself.

I wanted to share this poster with the members of the forum. But if I took my personal copy and tried to scan it, well it is too large to scan, and honesty too precious to be subject to any mishandling. For those who see it (below), you may recognize it. It is very much beloved by many, many in America. It has its own history, if you will. It came from India. I am not sure when these were produced, probably in the 1940’s and 1950’s – they all have a slight yellow tone to them. Some were later reprinted on thinner paper and glossy, but for some reason they simply never had the same quality. Some were used as artist subjects and thus repainted and then also printed to paper as posters. But these never had the same quality, either. No, these originals – they were special.

Back then, you could walk into an “Indian grocery” and find a stack of them. They sold for only 1 dollar, sometimes two dollars perhaps.

I carefully took my copy and read the “fine print” at the bottom. For some reason I was thinking “Sharma”. Then it came to me. Varma. That was the name. I had been searching the internet several times, sometimes for hours, trying to find an image of this print but no luck. If I could find it, I could share it.

Today I found it. Below is the image. If you have this poster (one of the original lithos), hold on to it. It is very much desired. You are very lucky indeed.

The artist was Raja Ravi Varma (“Ravi Varma”, sometimes spelled Verma). His paintings of Deva and Devi made their way to such posters, two of which I share as thumb nails below (looks like that's the limit allowed as far as thumb nails ... one is of Lakshmi, the other Saraswati).

They are all of notable beauty. And majesty. Many souls looked deep into them, many hours by souls accumulated in simply looking at the beauty. The most classic are shared below, but there were many. They all look out at you, as well.

A little research showed that Raja Ravi Varma was born in a Malayalam family in the princely state of Travancore on 29th April 1848, in the Kilimanoor Palace home of the Travancore Rulers in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala. He died on 2nd October 1906. His paintings became the legends of religious prints and posters that travelled the world over, including to America, Canada and England. Most were printed by S. S.Brijbasi & Sons, they were Oleograph Prints from Bombay. The original paintings are now in museums in India, and in Europe and in Russia, and other places. 1,000 years from now, they will still be remembered by souls.

Enjoy, and see the thumb nails below as well.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 22 August 2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: A few minor typos fixed

Re: The Hindu Art of Raja Ravi Varma

Namaste!

Thank you for sharing, Shivafan. They are indeed beautiful works of art.I'm struck by the difference in style between Krishna and Lakshmi -perhaps Lakshmi is a much earlier/later piece than the other two?

In any case, they are beautiful. I am not so fortunate to have one of those posters - but I am blessed regardless!

Peace!

I like Varma's paintings when they focus on ordinary Indian people. But I just don't feel he does devas or Sri Krishna justice. For the latter, I really like B.G. Sharma.

http://bgsharmaart.com/
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Namaste Philosoraptor

Actually, as noted in my post, when I first tried to "hunt down" this Krishna poster, I actually tried searching for SHARMA ... for some reason his name was in my head. But I didn't have any luck until I tried VARMA.

Of course Sharma's art and prints are wonderful ... in fact I have a couple of those shown in my collection.

Raja Ravi Varma is beloved, across the world his art is treasured (just as works of Sharma!). As one who likes to paint in oils, I admire his work very, very much. They seem to live, they touch a soul.

Namaste Jodhaa

You can see the Lakshmi print from one of the little thumb nails at the bottom of the post (not the full html linked graphics). Actually, I find TWO by the same artist of Lakshmi, both very beautiful. The full blown graphic is of Ambika Devi. Varma did many of the Devas and Devis, including Skanda-Muruga, Ganga, Shiva, and of course Sita Ram Lakshman and Hanuman.

Below is one classic Sita Ram Lakshman Hanuman! What beauty!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste, Shivafan,

Now I see the connection! I don't know why I didn't see the links at the bottom of your post initially. The first image of Lakshmi on the left, I have seen a few times before. Very beautiful. I have painted Lakshmi myself, and this image and others were part of my inspiration!

Thank you

Vannakkam ShivaFan

I must say thank you for highlighting Raja Ravi Varma's works. Although they're quite famous in India, his paintings still need more recognition elsewhere across the world.

They all have that certain tranquility about them that leaves one spellbound and awestruck.

I've always been enamoured by his paintings. The ones I like most would be those of Saraswati and Lakshmi. Such fine details too. I'm also charmed by the one on Ganga, as well as the one with Murugan riding a peacock with Valli and Deivayanai.

Noticing his talent, the then Ruler of Mysore commissioned Ravi Varma to paint members of the Mysore Royal Family. They're all just as beautiful as the ones on Gods and Goddesses.

Aum Namah Shivaya

7. Re: The Hindu Art of Raja Ravi Varma

That picture of Gopal at the top looks different than the one made by Brijbasi Press many a year ago when I had the print. The face looks different. Also it is cut off on the right side, so the name of artists is not showing.
    Maybe there were two of the same painting done because my print had Chitrasala's name at the bottom. Maybe this one is by Ravi Varma, I don't know? A friend told me Chitrasala's son is still alive in Vrindaban somewhere, he is also a painter like his father.

Namaste vishnuseva

The original was copied and mass producted by other artists many times. One classic example is ISKCON, they had artists which repainted based on the original (but it never looks exactly the same) and then released posters.

Many other artists did the same.

The Ravi version was also released as a poster in the 1960s and early 70s, this release which is a large size poster on heavier paper and coated over with sometype of waxlike protective was literally iconic in those days, and was found reverently displayed in homes, apartments and temples and "bhajan groups" all over America. Today this release is very difficult to find these days, are highly collectible and fetch high prices in the US. Actually I have a copy of one of these that I obtained in 1972, a small tear started in the white border about 12 years ago so more recently to protect it for now from light and any damage I had it sleeved in special hard paper protective (large) envelope by a book distributor of antique books that runs a high end business of antique books and posters located in Berkeley (they just recently closed shop a few months ago after years of struggling in this horrific US economy). You never want to "roll up" such highly desired posters, they must remain perfectly flat. I plan on taking it out again from it's protective sleeve after I retire to my permanent home and display it in a special frame where there is not direct sun. I could take it out and attempt to scan the border where is printed the distributor and also scan sections of the poster itself (it is large) but I am not sure I want to risk it. It matches exactly the one shown.

Below is a video of Sant Keshavadas during one of his popular bhajan sessions in Oakland California, I do not know the exact date of this video, it might be late 1970s or early 80s. He passed away and is no longer here. If you look carefully, directly behind him is a large framed poster. This is the exact poster.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GxuCw1fGViM

It only demonstrates the significance this poster had in the annals of "Hinduism in the West". It is iconic.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste all,

Raja Ravi Varma is brilliant indeed because he his artistic impressions are what that paints our minds with the image we identify as God in various forms.

I wonder how else would have the human mind deciphered divinity if Raja Ravi Varma did not paint all these?

So to a great extent our mind is shaped by an artistic impression but the true form of any Divinity still remains a secret.

Dear Shivafan
    Indeed Raja Raviverma's works are a visual treat whether it is Gods or Goddesses or historical persons . His Damayanthi is very beautiful . The picture Rama , Seetha , lakshman and Hanuman literally brings them in front of our eyes .Thanks a lot for giving this experience once again . We literally grew up worshipping this image of SreeRama.

Thread Information