Thread: Ellaiamman

Ellaiamman

Namasté, all,

Last year I spent a few weeks in Pondicherry, and there found a temple that I visited daily for the rest of my stay. It was dedicated to Devī Ellaiamman, and since returning I have looked for more about Her. There is a bit of information online, but not much that I've been able to find.

Is She worshipped anywhere outside of Tamil Nadu? Does anyone here have knowledge or thoughts about Her to share?

That temple was a beautiful sanctuary, and Maa and the shrine have been in my thoughts since.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Re: Ellaiamman

She seems to be one of those Grama devataas worshipped as a Kuladevata by some rural area tribes. (Not to mention she definitely must have power and potent for fulfilling wishes of devotees of her).

I know more about another Grama devata - Kaumari (Karumariamman) and I believe Ellaiamman is similar to her.

It is interesting you pointed out you have only come across small amount of information about her. Same thing with Kaumari -I knew her legend but I only recently came to know through a TV serial she is the wife of one of the Ashta-bhairavas and resides as the shakti in one of the chakras of the body. Would be interested to know something similar about Ellaiamman too.

Interesting I hovered over one of 'Ellaiamman' images in Google search and it read 'Yellamma devi' whom I then searched for - took me to Wiki and Wiki says Yellamma (aka Ellaiamman) is the SAME as Mariamma (Kaumari). I know Kaumari is the name derived after the legendary Renuka devi, w/o Jamadagni muni became a goddess and hence the Wiki search term is 'Renuka'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renuka

Namaste Indraneela,

Thank you for sharing-
    I am guessing you might have come across this already,
    but if not, enjoy some footage of Ellaiamman Koil.

Ellaiamman is depicted most often as four-armed,
    with a five-headed naga hood; Her upper arms hold a drum (right)
    and a trishul (left), while Her lower arms hold a knife (right) and bowl (left).

As I am typing this, I see Aspirant01 has already mentioned Renuka Devi,
    so I won't be redundant.

May Devi slake your thirst for knowledge!

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namasté,

Thank you so much, all, for the information and the links! I have not yet seen this temple footage and will watch when I get home.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Deleted...
    Last edited by ShriBala; 11 December 2012 at 06:49 AM.

Deleted...
    Last edited by ShriBala; 05 April 2013 at 05:33 PM.

Today I was browsing through information on Dasa Maha Vidyas - and I learnt that Ellaiamman - the head of Sri Renuka Devi associated with the body of an outcaste woman - is actually related to goddess Matangi, and thus ultimately of Sri Madurai Meenakshi. (Ref: http://vedicgoddess.weebly.com/3/pos...goddesss.html). That is, worship of Ellaiamman is tantamount to worship of Matangi mahavidya. There are lots of information on the net on Matangi mahavidya, but most noticeable is the fact that she is closely associated with outcaste/unclean women, who are considered to be of the 4th varna - a match that corresponds with the body of the outcaste woman Sri Renuka devi's head got associated with after Parasurama slayed her head.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste
    Is She worshipped anywhere outside of Tamil Nadu? Does anyone here have knowledge or thoughts about Her to share?
    I have seen many Ellai Amman temple (roughly translated as the mother/goddess who protects a particular region) in south. In some places name of the goddess may differ but their duty seem to be same.

Similarly you can observe many Aiyanar(s) and Sudalai Madan (God) who also perform the same duty.

All these deities seen as the forms of Shiva or Parvati.

Every village or group of villages has these deities. Periodically (mostly annually) there will be gathering starting from Kappu for the deity which ends with grand celebration in the respective temples.

I have attended Maariamman Thiruvizha when I lived in south. It was fun during those days.
    Anirudh...

HI Every one,

Ellai amman and Yellamma , both are one and the same. The word Yella in telugu and sanskrit means boundary, Ellai in tamil is also boundary. So goddess Ellai amman or Yellamman are one and the same those who protect the village from evils entering the village. Ellai amman or yellamman is the intermix of two ladies one a local tribal woman(Chaakali/Maadiga) another Goddess Renuka wife of saint Jamadhagni. When parashuram chopped head of Renuka he chopped local maiden of Renuka too as she opposed beheading Renuka. When he sought boon from Jamadhagni to make his mother alive he gave some holy water to sprinkle on the corpses so that they become alive. In a hurry Parashuram intermixed the heads of two ladies with one another. There came two different woman One with Renuka ehad and local girl body and another with local girl head and Renuka body. By seeing this Parashuram said My mother has changed and called her Mari amman one with black body and white face so she is called as Karumari amman. ANother was named as Yellamman or Ellaim amman who is mother of all or Jagadhambha who protects the boundaries and protect from evils. These boundaries are may be for our village or entire Universe.

Shri mathre Namha !!

Thread Information