Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is SriLanka this beautiful?

Re: Is SriLanka this beautiful?

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    The movie 'Bridge on River Kwai' was shot in Sri Lanka
    I chanced to visit the exact spot where the scene of the bridge was shot.

It's quite a tourist attraction apparently, though the bridge isn't there anymore, having been dismantled completely after the filming of the movie. Our tourist guide was so enthusiastic in explaining the details.

Vannakkam Eastern Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: The south part is safe, but the north, east, and intermediate areas aren't. Personally, because of my Tamil name and country of origin, I wouldn't even want to do an airport transfer.

The main reason the northern areas seem unsafe would be due to the large, unnecessary presence of the Sri Lankan Army. Soldiers are everywhere, supposedly guarding these areas. Other than that, it's perfectly peaceful, especially Jaffna. You might feel the presence of the soldiers, but they are slowly reducing in number. Good riddance!

Having a Tamil name wouldn't make any difference. Many, many relatives and friends of mine from all over the world have taken the opportunity to visit the northern areas after the war, and there seems to be nothing to suggest it as being unsafe. If at all, it might be the remnants of the war.

As for the quality of the Brahmin priests, many are serving here in North America, and often train in the Pillaiyarpatti kulam or other places in India, so there is an even tighter knit group within the Brahmins, because relatively speaking, it is smaller. But the extensive knowledge of Sanskrit and the mystical part will really show through when you witness a well trained priest perform his job.
    I'm glad you noticed this. They are in high demand at our temples here, and I enjoy talking to them. I wouldn't add anything much because you've already said what's to be said about them. They are very dedicated.

All I have to highlight is their punctuality and perfect manner of performing rituals, besides their thoroughness, which seems to add a touch of quality and splendour to the temples they officiate at. I also love their eloquent way of chanting the mantras, with excellent pronunciation and tone. (These views are from my humble observations over the years, as well as gossip from people of other Hindu communities).

Certainly, on a personal level, I feel incredibly lucky to have had the many years of interactions I've had with this community.
    You can add another to your list. Just joking.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post

The main reason the northern areas seem unsafe would be due to the large, unnecessary presence of the Sri Lankan Army. Soldiers are everywhere, supposedly guarding these areas.

Having a Tamil name wouldn't make any difference.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam: I still wouldn't go ... on the advice of my friends here. They go, but never for long. A new event like one bombing or mistake can set the whole thing off again. The Sri Lankan government is becoming increasingly antagonistic towards American, European, and Canadians because of the United Nations calling for independent inquiries into war crimes, which they (SL government) won't allow. So its still like walking a tightrope. Even back in 1982, travelling with a group, my wife was singled out and interrogated. She made the mistake of answering 'Yes' to the question ... Do you know any Tamils in Canada?"

On a side note, as with the British indentured labour program, it has has the positive effect of spreading Hinduism far and wide.

But this is a religious forum, not a political one, so I won't continue this discussion. As for the priests, I concur. I just returned from going on a week long sojourn with our priest family from here to Vancouver. The roles were reversed ..(I was the driver) . We had a good time, and I gained even further insight into the lives of kurukkals. We saw a lot of beautiful waterfalls, Siva's beautiful creations.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam

Vannakkam: I still wouldn't go ... on the advice of my friends here. They go, but never for long. A new event like one bombing or mistake can set the whole thing off again. The Sri Lankan government is becoming increasingly antagonistic towards American, European, and Canadians because of the United Nations calling for independent inquiries into war crimes, which they (SL government) won't allow. So its still like walking a tightrope. Even back in 1982, travelling with a group, my wife was singled out and interrogated. She made the mistake of answering 'Yes' to the question ... Do you know any Tamils in Canada?"
    Wow... I didnt know they went to this extent. If this is the case, then yes, it would be dangerous for you.

But this is a religious forum, not a political one, so I won't continue this discussion.
    I didn't feel comfortable about the war stuff being posted earlier to begin with, since it's a religious forum, and it got me thinking as to why the war situations have to be brought up every so often.

I just returned from going on a week long sojourn with our priest family from here to Vancouver. The roles were reversed ..(I was the driver) . We had a good time, and I gained even further insight into the lives of kurukkals. We saw a lot of beautiful waterfalls, Siva's beautiful creations.
    That's nice. Now I know the reason to your sudden disappearance the whole week.

Thread Information