Thread: Proper south Indian clothing

Hybrid View

Proper south Indian clothing

Vanakkam everyone !

I would like to ask question about temple customs. I know this subject have been debated, I have read many advices and answer from other treads, but I would like to ask a very specific question:

For going to the temple regulary, I would like to wear proper clothes. Meaning what other indians wear to go to the temple. I know it's casual clothes for the born indians in the forum, but I am little lost about what to wear.
    I want to be respectful of the tradition, the people and the Gods of the temple, that's why I don't want to come with tee-shirt and jean like someone that doesn't care.

So here's my question: what are the Tamil unmarried girls wearing to go to the temple ? I have saree and know how to put it but I can't wear it since I'm not married.

Thank you !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Re: Proper south Indian clothing

Vannakkam Mckitty

In my opinion, you can go ahead with the saree if you want to. Unmarried girls can wear it too, though it might make you feel a little too grand or formal.

The most important thing is to feel comfortable and relaxed in the temple, and if wearing a saree might make you uneasy and cause unnecessary stress, then better not try it first.

You can begin with the lighter clothes, maybe wear a "kurti" top, with jeans or something. You can also wear a "salwar kameez" which comes with the bottom piece for the legs and a scarf.

Perhaps you can try googling "kurti" and "salwar kameez" to get an idea of what they look like.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Hi checkout http://www.avalonsarees.com/webshaper/store/viewProd.asp?pkProductItem=1609.
    That is called a 'pavadai-davani' and many youngsters of TamilNadu wear it as a dailywear and to temples.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    So here's my question: what are the Tamil unmarried girls wearing to go to the temple ? I have saree and know how to put it but I can't wear it since I'm not married.

Thank you !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam: I don't know where you heard this, but its a myth, or a personal misunderstanding. The first sari is presented to the girl at the onset of menses, not marriage. If you see a college group on a temple tour, the school uniform is a sari. Quite beautiful actually to see 50 identical saris walking into a temple. Most likely all of them are single. I would advise the sari as well, but many will wear salwar kameez. If you are travelling to India, any hotel can point you to a sari advisor, and/or a tailor to make the blouse.

Be prepared for different instructions if you talk to 2 or more different people.

Aum Namasivaya

Namast,

The others have advised correctly: saree is just fine regardless of your marital status. Do wear it, as long as you are used to it and can manage it without being distracted from devotion.

(If you're not entirely comfortable with saree yet, you might wish to get a "gopi skirt" outfit, a matched skirt and blouse with an overwrap that drapes like a saree. It is easier to wear and manage. Some pretty, very fancy examples are here, but there are much cheaper cotton versions, like here.)

And just for fun, if you wish to know how to drape your saree in a south Indian style, there is a guide here. (I find this style easier than the "standard" drape - called nivi - that most women use, and wear all of my sarees this way.)

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Vanakkam,

Sorry if there have been a misunderstanding about the saree ! xD I got the info from a Tamil mother when I was in Tamil Nadu. Maybe it's only regarded by some few people ?
    Thank you for the clarification anyway ! It's good to know !

I am very comfortable wearing the saree, I usually wear it at home on week ends and do puja with it the day and the night. However I'm not sure to be comfortable wearing it in the street or in the temple. It's not usual to see saree in the streets here, so a white girl with a saree...I don't want to pass like it's carnival day, and I don't want to make any other hindu incomfortable. I wish to wear it on important festivals and pooja.

Thank you Aspirant, those outfits are really beautiful ! No doubt the hindu women are beautiful wearing this.

I will check about the salwar kameez, I have seen many young girls wearing it in Tamil Nadu, and it seems less formal than a saree for daily worship and simple visit at temple.

Thank you very much everyone !

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Vanakkam,

What about South Indian clothing for males? For North Indian, from what I've seen, men usually wear either a Dhoti or a Salwar Kameez bottom with an oxford shirt top. But what about South India?

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaIsLord View Post
    Vanakkam,

What about South Indian clothing for males? For North Indian, from what I've seen, men usually wear either a Dhoti or a Salwar Kameez bottom with an oxford shirt top. But what about South India?

Om Namah Shivaya
    Vannakkam: Most wear slacks and a shirt, not jeans and a t-shirt. More traditional guys wear veshti. http://www.google.ca/imgres?um=1&hl=...:12,s:36,i:224

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information