Thread: The deep end of the pool...

The deep end of the pool...

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I am very impressed as of late by those that wish to read and 'dive in' to the knowledge that is found within our sanātana dharma. Yet like any diving, one must be aware of what end of the pool one wishes to begin.
    For many that are new to sanātana dharma, it would be wise to attain a broad look at the various schools or saḍ darśana , 6 schools of Indian thought. This will allow one to get their bearings, the proper angle for a good dive into the water of knowledge.

If I had to recommend a book, I would no doubt suggest 'The Systems of Indian Philosophy' by Subodh Kapoor. It is a two book set. ISBN number 81-7755-887-0. http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?qwork=17406242

I also recommend reading the bhāgavad gītā¹ no matter what sect, school, or orientation a person chooses; The bhāgavad gītā is called the cream of the veda-s for a good reason. Within 700¹ verses the wisdom of the ages is presented. To this day I read and re-read this outstanding śāstra. If you look to the bhāgavad gītā folder, here on HDF, you will find many recommendations of authors and books.

well begun is half done...

praṇām
    • It is traditional to call out 700 verses yet this number fluxuates all the way up to 745 verses;
    • we know of the bhāgavad gītā is part of the mahābhārata - it is also known as hariḥ gītā or nārāyaṇa gita ( so says the mahābhārata, śanti parvan).
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: The deep end of the pool...

Vannakkam Yajvan: It is a simple yet well conceived analogy. Personally speaking, a key is to be able to distinguish which end we are entering, and of course the ego thinks its deep. I am rather shallow. Its interesting how often this analogy or similar ones occur in English idioms like .. "off the deep end", "in deep" "in over your head" etc.

Even the joke on "well, well, well" being a deep thought reflects it.

And yet we all hold the potential to go very deep, which is somehow a soothing thought.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Yajvan

This is very kind and insightful of you to think of our journey and provide a helping hand through such great anologies. Would it be ok if I add a little personal observation that is not directly in alignment with your intent, but more general to what is often the first "dive into the pool" of Sanatana Dharma, and in particular a variation of "first getting one's feet wet" for Westerners (or even born Hindus)?

While not true in all cases, many on the HDF either first "put their toe in the pool" or even were already marathon swimmers in SD or Hinduism and this was the reason they came to the HDF. Some may have just put the first toe in, some may have even jumped right into the deep end of the pool and are now "drowning" before learning the "butterfly" swim. They may have no concept or have not even seen a butterfly, much less swim like one.

Before coming to HDF, many already looked in the direction of SD and why they did it may have had nothing to do with shastra, Ramayana, Gita, Veda, Holy Poems, books authored by spiritualists or yogis.

I have noticed four ways this can happen, regardless if blessed to be born to a Hindu family or born in a prison and given to adopted parents, or even living among Rakshasas. These are four ways I happen to notice, but there are probably more including Shastra.

Four observations are (1) Visual which is a word I stole from Jodhaa (there are many SD words for it, but perhaps "Darshan" is a good fit), (2) personal (there are many SD words for this, but I want to use the name "Kuselan" the friend of Lord Krishna in the Mahabharata), (3) scriptural (there are many words for this depending on the type of sacred text, perhaps "Shruti" fits well here), and even (4) direct intervention (once again there are many SD words, but I will use a Vaishnava term "Avatar" but not in the Vaishnav sense of incarnation but in a more abstract sense of Deva or Devi visitation with a Jiva soul).

VISUAL - I know of many who never had any inclination to read ANY sacred scripture. But one day, they see a picture of Deva or Devi. Either a Westerner who sees for the first time Ganesha, or a mother showing an Indian born Hindu child a painting of Krishna. In the example of the Westerner, suddenly they see great beauty in this print of Shiva or Devi, or as circumstantial as seeing a Murthi of Muruga in a vegetarian restaurant. They hear and see Hare Krishna devotees calling for Krishna or Ram, or they pass by a temple of Ganesh and they see wonderful Hindu people, just some visual connection is made. But the pool had to "be there" to even jump in. Without the pool before them, then? A child cannot read, but the child sees Lingam or smells the incense. Suddenly the Westerner has a curiosity or soon a strong desire to know what is this? This is something special. The child has already joined in family with the Divine before even learning to read. But even the child can say Aum. The simplest picture is actually a large lake. But someone had to paint that lake, that ocean, that Saraswati, before stepping into the cool water whose waves are glimmering in the sun.

PERSONAL - They come to know a person. Something is obviously very special about that person. This could even start with the simplest of conversations, that reveals a moment to the confused soul that this person would be the best of any friend and not for all the typical reasons. Then they find out why they see something in the other soul. They discover the person is a Hindu. "What is a Hindu?" they ask themselves. And then they try to find out. Or perhaps by grace, they see a man. Who is this man? They ask, for He is wonderful. They listen. "oh, He is what they call a Guru" someone says. They want to know more. Only because of Him. But the pool had to BE THERE first before putting a toe in. If there was no pool there, then?

SCRIPTURAL - The young man was aways smart. Indeed, his friends and family called him the Philosopher. One day he is in the local library. He has read many books. "But I will read ALL of them!" he says. Which one next? So he closes his eyes and walks down one aisle of books. With eyes closed he reaches out, and touches one. It is the Bhagavad Gita. Now a great thing is about to happen. But the kund had to be there before putting a hand into the water to take a drink.

DIRECT INTERVENTION - She never had been outside her village. But her parents loved her so much, and they were good Muslims soon to take her to visit an uncle from another village the next day. She felt excitement in the air - she was excited, too! She couldn't sleep that night, so the candle in her room burned late. Behind it a little mirror stood on the small table. She looked into the light of the candle, and it's reflection in the little mirror. She looked and looked. It was then that she saw Murugan. The pool came to her. We do not know why, but Muruga does.

There is more than one way to drown into a pool. Which way did Lord Chaitanya leave the world? Which way did Tralangaswami leave? Westerners can sometimes just fall into the pool instead of jumping in. But the pool has to be there first. Thank you Mother India.

Om Namah Sivaya

What a great post! Thank you!
    I myself have been walking the path around this pool for a long time now and am looking into how to swim!

Thread Information