Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Astrophysicist jokes about intelligent design

Astrophysicist jokes about intelligent design

Neal deGrasse Tyson, Phd. is one of the more entertaining scientists.
    He thinks that the design of the universe is "stupid".
    http://youtu.be/Ti3mtDC2fQo
    (His points about "stupid design' begin at 32:02)
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 03 September 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Re: Astrophysicist jokes about intelligent design

Since it's a 40+ minute video, do you know at what point he mentions unintelligent design?

Random sidenote: the comments on this YouTube video are almost painful to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Random sidenote: the comments on this YouTube video are almost painful to watch.
    That is true for any comments in any video in youtube. Youtube is very troll friendly and almost exclusively comments are generally trolls arguing and abusing each other on points completely irrelevant to the video they are commenting on.

The phenomena of life is over-rated, and it doesn't take a astrophysicist to understand that.

But people don't understand how lucky they are to be alive, and are hell bent on destroying the small spec of life [a.k.a earth] that exist in this vast stretch of space for their imaginary sky Gods.

Dear sm78,

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    The phenomena of life is over-rated, and it doesn't take a astrophysicist to understand that.
    So, life is just plain ordinary?

But people don't understand how lucky they are to be alive,
    But you are now stating that one should consider oneself lucky to be alive...So, which is it?

in this vast stretch of space for their imaginary sky Gods.
    HDF is predominantly a theist website. Many theist Hindus DO believe in a "sky daddy God". Why post on HDF if you are an atheist constantly mocking religious belief? What pleasure does it give you? Are you an anti-theist?

There are many atheist websites out there. You may be among like-minded individuals there.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Dear sm78,

So, life is just plain ordinary?
    It is over-rated in the sense, that almost all religious world visions center around the existence of life at epicenter of creation. Not just life but a more specific species called human beings.

Ancients did not have the knowledge of how completely barren the universe is and existence of life is a rare but miniscule and insignificant event. Planets, stars, comets go around just fine without existence of any life in their vicinity. But we have created entire theories of cosmic creation with us in the center of it all, as if the universe came into existence for humans to serve some "divine" purpose. Reality is otherwise.

But you are now stating that one should consider oneself lucky to be alive...So, which is it?
    So if you realize that it is by rare chance you are around and cosmos does not exist to serve our grand visions and would do fine without us, you would rather take being alive more seriously - for if you don't care, no one else does as well.

HDF is predominantly a theist website. Many theist Hindus DO believe in a "sky daddy God". Why post on HDF if you are an atheist constantly mocking religious belief? What pleasure does it give you? Are you an anti-theist?

There are many atheist websites out there. You may be among like-minded individuals there.
    Hinduism is not restricted to theism and sky daddy god, and even you have noted it some times. I don't consider the popular religion primarily based around some puranic stories to be all of Hinduism. Buddhism, Jainism etc also form in the larger definition of Hinduism. I didn't see any rule in HDF that only theist Hindus are to be allowed.

Is the idea of a forum a self-help support group or a club of like minded peoples?

The pleasure is no different from those of theist who revel in sharing their vision of the sky-daddy looking over them. We all love to share what we like or believe is true, like you constantly putting up posts on sad-darshanas which anyone rarely replies since sad-darshanas has been out of fashion for more than 2ooo years.

What I am, I do not know myself - but theism absolutely doesn't make any sense if one cares to expand their horizon a bit more than themselves and their preconceived notions. It was a good 'vikalpa' / support to live through a hostile world, and probably still is. But when people start forming 'ultimate' opinions around their imaginations or imaginary support systems, its my duty and pleasure [even if nobody cares] the meaninglessness of it all in any ultimate sense and triviality of their life on which all this is based.

Probably I am an atheist, but I don't deny existence of consciousness. Nor do I deny the possibilities of unifying principles, the laws that govern matter may not be all that different from those governing our life & mind or beyond. But all this is besides the point.
    Last edited by Twilightdance; 03 September 2012 at 02:41 AM.

Dear sm78,

Let me remind you of the admin's position on what constitutes quality posts on HDF.

Positive presentation of Sanātana Dharma
    This forum is for the positive presentation of Sanātana Dharma and we expect your participation to be positive and uplifting. While curiosity about our tradition is welcomed, questions must be asked in the spirit of learning and the knowledge that our tradition offers. If these ideas seem foreign to you or if this will be a struggle for you, then HDF may not be a good fit for you. Moderators will direct you out of this forum, to other communities on the Internet better suited for your needs.
    Many of your posts (including the one above) are neither uplifting nor positive. They just diminish whatever little bonhomie and joie de vivre that manages to remain on HDF, IMO. Many are angry adhominems. I would have expected a more charitable impression of yours towards Hinduism given that you are a born-Hindu in India. But you seem disenchanted with Hinduism and the chasm between the theology/philosophy/popular practice of Hinduism is not to your liking.

You are free to post on HDF, btw...but my suggestion (my opinion) remains that your overall online experience is likely to be more positive on atheistic websites that bash Hinduism. I can suggest a few via PM, if you would like. Just let me know.

Twillightdance, presuming you know a little of science,you would know that life could not exist without those vast,barren empty spaces.So the non existence of life in large parts of the universe is not a valid argument for the non-primacy of life.
    Last edited by Omkara; 04 September 2012 at 06:45 AM.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    Twillightdance,presuming you know a little of science,you woukd know that life could not exist without those vast,barten empty spaces.So the non existence of life in large parts of the universe is not a valid argument for the non-primacy of life.
    How does 'cannot' vis-a-vis 'does not' change the importance for life in the scheme of things. I am obviously weak in logic, but please do explain.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Dear sm78,

Let me remind you of the admin's position on what constitutes quality posts on HDF.

Many of your posts (including the one above) are neither uplifting nor positive. They just diminish whatever little bonhomie and joie de vivre that manages to remain on HDF, IMO. Many are angry adhominems. I would have expected a more charitable impression of yours towards Hinduism given that you are a born-Hindu in India. But you seem disenchanted with Hinduism and the chasm between the theology/philosophy/popular practice of Hinduism is not to your liking.

You are free to post on HDF, btw...but my suggestion (my opinion) remains that your overall online experience is likely to be more positive on atheistic websites that bash Hinduism. I can suggest a few via PM, if you would like. Just let me know.
    Maybe you have a point and I better keep away from this theist buddy club.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilightdance View Post
    How does 'cannot' vis-a-vis 'does not' change the importance for life in the scheme of things. I am obviously weak in logic, but please do explain.
    Perhaps you minsconstrued what I said.
    I said that the existence of large amounts of empty and barren space in the universe is a necessary precondition for life to exist.

Perhaps you could tell me how this has no bearing on your argument
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Thread Information