Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian equivalent of non-vegetarian foods

Vegetarian equivalent of non-vegetarian foods

Dear all,
    I realised that the reason I eat non-veg food is I used to believe that non-veg foods give a lot of proteins compared to vegetarian foods and lately I'm convinced with veg food alone you can be equally healthy, strong and less passionate . So I'm just curious if anyone here ever came across anything a site or article which shows the vegetarian equivalent of non-veg foods like same amount of protein, carbs etc., so that I can start eating those veg foods and slowly stop eating non-veg foods.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Re: Vegetarian equivalent of non-vegetarian foods

Vannakkam realdemigod: It's really a lot easier than many people think. We're pretty much overconsumers of protein. Sites like this: http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healt...tp/protein.htm

will help, and there are lots more.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Dear all,
    I realised that the reason I eat non-veg food is I used to believe that non-veg foods give a lot of proteins compared to vegetarian foods and lately I'm convinced with veg food alone you can be equally healthy, strong and less passionate . So I'm just curious if anyone here ever came across anything a site or article which shows the vegetarian equivalent of non-veg foods like same amount of protein, carbs etc., so that I can start eating those veg foods and slowly stop eating non-veg foods.
    Bill Pearl, former competitive and professional bodybuilder of yesteryear was vegetarian. He got enough protein.

Just be careful you do not replace non-veg. foods with an over-consumption of starchy carbs... rice, pasta, potatoes. etc.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thanks EMji, but it's not easier at least for me as I have been eating non-veg ever since I was kid.

Jainarayan - thanks and even the great Dara Singhji who recently passed away was also pure vegetarian
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Thanks EMji, but it's not easier at least for me as I have been eating non-veg ever since I was kid.

Vannakkam realdg: I had forgotten you were in Bangalore. I find it really ironic that it is far easier in the west to become vegetarian that in the India, perhaps the birthplace of vegetarianism, but in may cases it's true. Here in the west, many of us as kids ate what our parents ate (this is true more in a bit older people like me) but then when we moved out, suddenly we were exposed to ridiculously large varieties of food. Greek, Italian, Ukrainian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai, Mexican, French, etc. are easy to obtain all over any large city. Each of those cuisines have portions that are veg. In contrast, Indian people for the most part, eat Indian food. On a recent trip, I shared some Mexican salsa with my Tamil friends, and called it jokingly 'tomato chutney'. Lo and behold, at the next store, they bought a jar for themselves.
    Besides that, there is the whole healthy vegetarian market started in the 60s. You can fine healthy vegetarian anywhere. There is a rise in organic markets, and foods as well. I can eat all of the above, and for variety, I do.

An on-line useful site is HappyCow.com which lists vegetarian restaurants. So when I travel, I take a look at that site first. But there is something about the subconscious acting here, I think, because I see what you're saying also in my Tamil friends. Those who eat meat seemed really hooked on it, and hide it from me like some teenager hiding smoking cigarettes from his mother.

So that other site I gave you probably doesn't work. Tofu, quinoa, even brown rice, are probably all difficult, if not impossible to fine in Bangalore.

But best wishes on it anyway. Go slow perhaps is the best advice.

Aum Namasivaya

You can soak soy nuggets in water and cook the same way you cook meat. It has meaty texture and is high in protein.

namaste

For those that live in the United States there is a wide range of "fake meat" convenience foods which cater
    to vegetarians and vegans. As you are in India you will probably have to cook your own vegetarian foods.

The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has a free veg starter kit available online to
    explain to you how to do it it step by step while making sure you get all of your necessary nutrients:
    http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...an-starter-kit

Once you read or download that and understand it you can check out their Indian recipes: http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=3387

Hari Aum
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    ...Tofu, quinoa, even brown rice, are probably all difficult, if not impossible to fine in Bangalore. ...
    namaste

I remember they loved brown rice in Kerala so there may be a way to procure some in a major city like Bangalore.
    Also, if soybeans can be found then tofu can be made at home following recipes on Youtube.

Hari Aum

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Jainarayan View Post
    Namaste.
    Bill Pearl, former competitive and professional bodybuilder of yesteryear was vegetarian. He got enough protein.
    namaste

Bill Pearl was certainly impressive and there are even bodybuilding and strength athletes who find they do better without
    any animal protein at all - not even dairy. Also Avi Lehyani (who is a world class strength athlete) doesn't even like soy.

Robert Cheeke
    http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_robert

Ryan Wilson
    http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_ryan

Bill McCarthy
    http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_bill

Avi Lehyani
    http://veganbodybuilding.com/?page=bio_avi

Hari Aum

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Thanks everyone,
    EMji - You are true our subconscious gets in the way as it's pure addiction to the taste buds and aroma of the non-veg foods. You need to control your mind to not to eat non-veg foods but that again requires less or zero passionate foods like vegetarian..one has to break the vicious circle at some point. I'm work in progress
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

Thread Information