Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarian equivalent of non-vegetarian foods

Re: Vegetarian equivalent of non-vegetarian foods

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    Thanks everyone,
    EMji - You are true our subconscious gets in the way as it's pure addiction to the taste buds and aroma of the non-veg foods. You need to control your mind to not to eat non-veg foods but that again requires less or zero passionate foods like vegetarian..one has to break the vicious circle at some point. I'm work in progress
    Vannakkam: I was raised on a western mixed farm, and didn't even hear of vegetarianism until I was 17 or so ... maybe older. So I too was addicted to meat. Mostly beef, but everything else too. So perhaps my testimony will help. I have no doubt that I ate more meat then than you do now. It was very much a staple, and some people would eat only meat at some meals ... like nothing more than a steak ... push the veggies to the side.

Some friends were experimenting with it, so being an experimenter myself, and not that stupid about metabolic rates, time it takes for medicine to take full effect, etc., I took a personal vow ... just as an experiment ... for one month. (This was a couple of years before I encountered Hinduism) I tried to watch how I felt. And guess what? I felt a lot better ... lighter, my digestive system was less clogged, more spiritual, and less moody. So from personal experimentation, I became a vegetarian. Only later did my wife and I read a lot of books on it. So why don't you try it for a month? See how you feel.

As far as substitutes go, beans and dals are your best bet, given you're already on an Indian diet, and some of the substitute things most likely aren't available there. So just make sure you eat more of those.

Another subconscious trick it to always substitute the word 'flesh' for meat.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks EMji for the tips. I will start with one week and then go to one month and see
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

My husband and I tapered off from meat but it took us a long time to stop eating meat altogether. We started tapering off not from a spiritual reason, but because we had found out about factory farming and were horrified by it. We ate less and less meat -- we planned meals with no meat and eventually we didn't notice how long it had been since we had eaten meat. Finally, a few years ago, we said "No more meat." At that point it wasn't so difficult to stop. I was surprised, though, that when we went from a little meat to no meat, that our tastes seemed to change. Vegetables became much more flavorful and satisfying. And then we found that a lot of meat dishes with sauces work really well with fried paneer instead of meat. So we have our favorite dishes back, but this time without meat.

Deleted...
    Last edited by ShriBala; 05 April 2013 at 05:31 PM.

He's an advice from a bodybuilder who does not even practice vegetarianism for the sake of ahimsa: http://scoobysworkshop.com/vegetarianism/

Quote Originally Posted by ShriBala View Post
    Namaskar. Many Keralite/Malayali owned shops in bangalore, have an unpolished rice called the red rice/rosematta rice. The grains are short, fat and pinkish in colour. And, they are extremely healthy. Obviously, their GI levels are low. Way lower than polished white rice.
    Tests have shown that red rice has 10 times as many anti-oxidants as brown rice and around three times as much as black rice. In Ayurveda raktashila (red rice) is also praised as the best.

I have tried some Thai red cargo rice with dahl and cauliflower and it is quite good. I am going to switch over to eating red rice instead of brown from now on.

Thread Information