Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Maha Shivaratri

Re: Maha Shivaratri

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    Thanks! I don't know anyone well enough yet to go with them.

Can someone tell me what these words mean? I would really appreciate it!!

Trikala Pooja

all night Jagaran

Rudrabhisheka with Laghunyasa

Rudrabhisheka with Mahanyasa

Namaste MG,

Many times people say don't wear leather to temple, and don't wear shorts or short skirts to temple. I've seen Hindus violate every one of these rules especially here in the US. You need to take your shoes off in a designated spot, that's all. If you go to temple for Shivaratri, I can guarantee you that it's going to be noisy and crowded, but maybe that's the best time for you to go, so you can observe what others are doing. Other thing to remember is that whenever you receive holy water, blessed food (prasad) or wave your hand over the arati flame, use your right hand.

In any case, trikala puja (pooja) is a puja (worship ceremony) performed at three times during the day. Usually trikala indicates dawn, noon and dusk. Rudrabhishekha is an ablution (abhishekha) ceremony performed to honor Shiva through the icon of the Lord, the Shiva Lingam. Abhishekha ceremony involves ablution with five "nectars" (usually milk, water, honey, yoghurt and sugar/syrup). As the ablution takes place, the priests sing Vedic hymns. The laghunyasa and mahanyasa are Vedic hymns recited during the abhishekha. Afterwards you may receive a spoonful of the five nectars in your right palm as a blessing. Jagaran means staying up or keeping vigil. People stay up all night and keep vigil on Shivaratri.

OM Shanti,
    A.

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    Namaste everyone:

I *really* want to go to this festival, but I have never been inside a temple before.
    Namaste MG,
    Good question... a few simple things. Go with the right frame of mind ( sattvic). Others can add in, yet here is a few:
    - remove your shoes before entering
    - we first greet God/The Universal Self. Most likely the diety there if a siva temple, we greet Ganesha with Pranams, and bow. Some ring the bell over head one time.
    - if going, just as going to a friends house we bring a gift. Fresh, washed fruit , some flowers ( we do not smell them, that is the custom, the flowers are then 'whole' for the offering)
    - we greet the dieties that are there ( for me I go from left to right) yet not sure what temple you are attending.
    It is OK to ask the pandit there for help, blessings and guidence. You then can make an offering of the flowers, fruit, etc to your ishtadevata, perhaps for this occasion it is siva?
    If you choose to sit, you face siva, yet we do not point our feet His way, or show Him the soles of your feet as this is disrepectful to do. Nor do we sit directly in front... off to one side. Usually to the right, but no need to make a big deal as He is everyewhere, left , right, up down, doesn't matter.
    You may ask for His darshan, and the panditji will assist. Any offerings that you may give, use your right hand. Some hold the left hand with the right, yet the right still leads.
    Just be simple and you will not have issue.Follow the other more experinced and they too will assist. You have come to see Him, so thoughts are with Him. It is a time to be simple, vs. socializing , that can be done at another time. Silience is His nature, that is way it is considered good to be with limited words, or when with words, they are respectful, with mantra, etc. For Sivaratri, His mantra will be going all the time on this night. Join in.

Others can add, as this is a baseline...simple.

pranams,
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste.

Check out these links for some beautiful images and explanation of Maha Shivaratri as celebrated in the country of Mauritius.

Maha Shivaratri Festival in Mauritius - Harvard Pluralism Project
    TAKA Kauai Hindu Monastery February 14, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    Namaste.

Check out these links for some beautiful images and explanation of Maha Shivaratri as celebrated in the country of Mauritius.

Maha Shivaratri Festival in Mauritius - Harvard Pluralism Project
    TAKA Kauai Hindu Monastery February 14, 2007
    namaskar,

Thanks for this...The fact that you became the vehicle to post these links on this day to this forum has some special personal meaning to me...I can only wonder about this...

Mauritius...a lot of old memories have stirred up...a decade has passed, friends have disappeared, yet it seems like yesterday!

Jai Shiv Shankar!
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Thanks for this...The fact that you became the vehicle to post these links on this day to this forum has some special personal meaning to me...I can only wonder about this...
    Jai Shiv Shankar!
    Namaskar Satay. You're right about the vehicle part. I've no idea what I'm doing. I'm only doing Bhole Shankar's will, or so I'd like to believe. In fact, I was going to post something else here today, but this is what appeared in front of my eyes.

Har Har Mahadev!

accidentally drank water so fast is already broken...
    satay

namaste all,
    please note that the following message is not mine. Dr. Sesha is the author.

Adyatmika Ratna, Vedanta Visarada, Sri Yaaga Vidya Praveena
    Dr P V Sesha Sai Aswamedhayaaji
    1-9-52/F/3, MCH No 2859, Road No 19, Ramnagar, HYDERABAD 500020
    www.ashwamedhayaagam.org emails shodasisai@gmail.com
    Phones 91-40-27661613 (Tele-fax), 65581368 Cell 9440422613
    14th February 2007
    SURYAKSHETRA -104
    What this little man speak…………………………………………………………………..
    My dear friends and like minded persons

I wish you and ‘yours’ a WONDERFUL SHIVARATHRI and May Lord Jagatpita and Goddess Jaganmaata grant you all that you richly desire and deserve.

Sometime ago, I remember to have given some valuable information about Rudrabhishek and its results. I desire to repeat it now for the information of all of you.

This valuable information is drawn from different sources which includes 1) Rudrakaamyarchana Vidhi, 2) Yogajaagame, 3) Mahaa Rudra Puracharana Vidhi, 4) Maarkandeya, 5) Visistakalpe Sanjeevani tantra rahasye, 6) Uttara Geetha, 7) Lainge Uttaraardhe, 8) Shivatoshinyaam, 9) Mantra Maheswara Paasupata Mantra Rahasye, 10) Mahaa Mantra Ratna Kose, 11) Rudradhyaye etc. Some of you might have read book No 8 which Lord permitted me to write on the use of Mahaa Pasupata Mantra in addition to Trisula Pasupatam, Aghora Pasupatam, Navagraha Pasupatam, Manyu Pasupatam, Kanya Pasupatam, Rina Vimochana Pasupatam, Santana Pasupatam, Indrakshi Pasupatam, Varsha Pasupatam, Koubera Pasupatam etc. I have been writing repeatedly that belief is the strength of any act for any religion, for any one, at any place and at any time. Of course, blind belief is what is not wanted. These theories have basic values since the ancient Rishis and great sages of India practiced them and passed on these Amruth Phal (fruits) for the use and benefit of infinite generations.

Now, the simplest is PANCHOPACHARA POOJA. LUM – Pridhvi Tatva – Sandal Paste; HUM – Aakasa Tatva – Pushpam(flower); YAM – Vayu Tatva – Dhoopam – fragrance stick; RUM – Agni Tatva – Deepam (the holy lamp using sesame oil); VUM – Amruth Tatva – Nivedan( offering of food items) – this is the simplest of all procedures and this may at the best take 5 minutes. I believe each one of us who are surely interested in the welfare of self and the Society can spare just 5 minutes in a day for this. Those who can afford can go for shodasopachara poojas – like sixteen methods of worship.

I have been insisting for using of 11 items for abhishekam to Lord Shiva and each item for each anuvaaka. The order according to Yogajaagame is in the following manner.

Cow Milk – All-round happiness; Cow curds – health; Cow ghee – financial prosperity; Sugarcane(juice or candy) – destruction of sorrow; Honey – Tejo Vridhi; Coconut water – Sarva Sampada Vridhi; Bhasmam – destruction of great sins; Sandal wood water – Sons prosperity; Pushpodakam – Bhoolabh; Bilvajalam – Bhog and Bhagya; Doorvodakam – Nasta Dravya Prapti; Sesame Oil – Apa Mrityu Haram; Rudrakshodakam – Maha Iswaryam; Gold water – destruction of Daridra; Rice – Raajya Prapti; Grape Juice- Sakala Kaarya Jayam; Dates – Kharjur juice – destruction of both internal and external enemies; black apples – renunciation; Kasturi Water – Kingdom; Nav Ratan Jal – Dhanya, gruha development; Mango Juice – destruction of long ailments; Turmeric water – Mangal pradam and this is the order. You are all free to choose the items as per order of your choice and the first five being panchaamritaas.

You might have gone through my letter on CHEMISTRY AND MATHEMETICS OF SHIVA LINGA which threw light on a systematic approach to Lord Shiva Worship.

Wishing you all once again the blessings of Lords.

I shall be back again soon………………………………
    HARA HARA MAHADEVA DR P V SESHA SAI ASWAMEDHAYAAJI
    Last edited by satay; 20 February 2007 at 12:59 AM.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Adyatmika Ratna, Vedanta Visarada, Sri Yaaga Vidya Praveena
    Dr P V Sesha Sai Aswamedhayaaji
    1-9-52/F/3, MCH No 2859, Road No 19, Ramnagar, HYDERABAD 500020
    www.ashwamedhayaagam.org emails shodasisai@gmail.com
    Phones 91-40-27661613 (Tele-fax), 65581368 Cell 9440422613
    14th February 2007
    SURYAKSHETRA -104
    What this little man speak..
    My dear friends and like minded persons

I wish you and yours a WONDERFUL SHIVARATHRI and May Lord Jagatpita and Goddess Jaganmaata grant you all that you richly desire and deserve.

Sometime ago, I remember to have given some valuable information about Rudrabhishek and its results. I desire to repeat it now for the information of all of you.

This valuable information is drawn from different sources which includes 1) Rudrakaamyarchana Vidhi, 2) Yogajaagame, 3) Mahaa Rudra Puracharana Vidhi, 4) Maarkandeya, 5) Visistakalpe Sanjeevani tantra rahasye, 6) Uttara Geetha, 7) Lainge Uttaraardhe, 8) Shivatoshinyaam, 9) Mantra Maheswara Paasupata Mantra Rahasye, 10) Mahaa Mantra Ratna Kose, 11) Rudradhyaye etc. Some of you might have read book No 8 which Lord permitted me to write on the use of Mahaa Pasupata Mantra in addition to Trisula Pasupatam, Aghora Pasupatam, Navagraha Pasupatam, Manyu Pasupatam, Kanya Pasupatam, Rina Vimochana Pasupatam, Santana Pasupatam, Indrakshi Pasupatam, Varsha Pasupatam, Koubera Pasupatam etc. I have been writing repeatedly that belief is the strength of any act for any religion, for any one, at any place and at any time. Of course, blind belief is what is not wanted. These theories have basic values since the ancient Rishis and great sages of India practiced them and passed on these Amruth Phal (fruits) for the use and benefit of infinite generations.

Now, the simplest is PANCHOPACHARA POOJA. LUM Pridhvi Tatva Sandal Paste; HUM Aakasa Tatva Pushpam(flower); YAM Vayu Tatva Dhoopam fragrance stick; RUM Agni Tatva Deepam (the holy lamp using sesame oil); VUM Amruth Tatva Nivedan( offering of food items) this is the simplest of all procedures and this may at the best take 5 minutes. I believe each one of us who are surely interested in the welfare of self and the Society can spare just 5 minutes in a day for this. Those who can afford can go for shodasopachara poojas like sixteen methods of worship.

I have been insisting for using of 11 items for abhishekam to Lord Shiva and each item for each anuvaaka. The order according to Yogajaagame is in the following manner.

Cow Milk All-round happiness; Cow curds health; Cow ghee financial prosperity; Sugarcane(juice or candy) destruction of sorrow; Honey Tejo Vridhi; Coconut water Sarva Sampada Vridhi; Bhasmam destruction of great sins; Sandal wood water Sons prosperity; Pushpodakam Bhoolabh; Bilvajalam Bhog and Bhagya; Doorvodakam Nasta Dravya Prapti; Sesame Oil Apa Mrityu Haram; Rudrakshodakam Maha Iswaryam; Gold water destruction of Daridra; Rice Raajya Prapti; Grape Juice- Sakala Kaarya Jayam; Dates Kharjur juice destruction of both internal and external enemies; black apples renunciation; Kasturi Water Kingdom; Nav Ratan Jal Dhanya, gruha development; Mango Juice destruction of long ailments; Turmeric water Mangal pradam and this is the order. You are all free to choose the items as per order of your choice and the first five being panchaamritaas.

You might have gone through my letter on CHEMISTRY AND MATHEMETICS OF SHIVA LINGA which threw light on a systematic approach to Lord Shiva Worship.

Wishing you all once again the blessings of Lords.

I shall be back again soon
    HARA HARA MAHADEVA DR P V SESHA SAI ASWAMEDHAYAAJI

Om Namah Shivayya

We chose happiness. Happiness is the final goal, what else can give happiness except His permanent presence?

Om Namah Shivayya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee View Post
    Om Namah Shivayya

We chose happiness. Happiness is the final goal, what else can give happiness except His permanent presence?

Om Namah Shivayya
    Pranam Atanu ji
    Indeed, and what is more tangible then to reciting this mantra, Om Namah Shivayya, to perceive his presence.
    I am off to Wales, to spend the day and the night at the temple for the first time.
    Om Namah Shivayya to everyone

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Shiva Stotras

For downloadable Shiva Stotras in mp3 format, check:
    http://www.astrojyoti.com/shivamp3list.htm

This site also contains other stotras.

Thread Information