Namaste

My daughter is quite smart, and she attends a US Medical High School (they even have to wear “scrubs” in the school and do work in a local hospital) …

The other day I discovered they are teaching her Ayurvedic medicine. I am not kidding. Here is some of the study:

Some outtakes from the instruction include -

“Ayurvedic medicine (also called Ayurveda) is one of the oldest of the world’s medical systems. It originated in India and has evolved there over thousands of years.”

“The aim of Ayurvedic medicine is to integrate and balance the body, mind and spirit.”

“Ayurvedic medicine uses a variety of products and techniques to cleanse the body and restore balance.”

“The term ‘Ayurveda’ combines the Sanskrit words ayur (life) and veda (knowledge). Thus, Ayurveda means ‘the science of life’”.

“Ayurvedic medicine aims to integrate and balance the body, mind and spirit, thus it is ‘holistic’. This balance is believed to lead to happiness and health, and to help prevent illness. Ayurvedic medicine also treats specific physical and mental health problems. A chief aim of Ayurvedic practices is to cleanse the body of substances that can cause disease, thus helping to reestablish harmony and balance.”

“Two ancient books written in Sanskrit more than 2,000 years ago are considered the main texts on Ayurvedic medicine – Caraka Samhita and Sushruta Samhita. The texts describe eight branches of Ayurvedic medicine: “
(details of the eight branches are then outline for the students, I am not going to type it all …)

“According to the 2007 National Health Interview Survey, which included comprehensive survey of CAM use by Americans, more than 200,000 U.S. adults used Ayurvedic medicine in the previous year.”

“These concepts have to do with universal interconnections, the body’s constitution (prakriti) and life forces (doshas).”
(details interconnectedness and doshas for the students, I am not going to type it all … but here are some
“All things in the universe (both living and nonliving) are joined together …
“Every human being contains elements that can be found in the universe …
“prakriti is a person’s unique combination of physical and psychological characteristics and the way the body functions to maintain …
“doshas control the activities of the body … A person’s chances of developing certain types of diseases are thought to be related to the way doshas are balanced …
“The doshas are known by their original Sanskrit names: vata, pitta, and kapha …
“The vata dosha combines the elements of ether and air … It is considered the most powerful dosha …
“The pitta dosha represents fire and water …
“The kapha dosha combines the elements of water and earth … Kapha helps maintain strength and immunity …
“Panchakarma focuses on elimination ama … Ama is described as undigested food that sticks to tissues, interferes …
“The practitioner may suggest … meditation …

“Ayurvedic treatments rely heavily on herbs and other plants … including oils and spices … more than 600 herbal formulas and 250 single plant druges are included …

“… a compound from the cowhage plant Mucuna pruriens is used to prevent or lessen side effects from Parkinson’s disease …
“ginger, turmeric and boswellia is used to treat inflammatory disorders such as …
“Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) … is used to treat Alzheimer’s disease …

On and on it goes …. Amazing. This is what my daughter is learning in her US Medical High School. I didn’t even know they were teaching her this until she brought home the homework!

The world is changing in America.

Om Namah Sivaya