Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Drinking Milk supporting Slavery?

Re: Is Drinking Milk supporting Slavery?

Yes, they are kept pregnant so as to lactate. I'm not suggesting that it's a paradise for the cows (or the calves), only that dairy cows are treated better than beef cattle, contrary to popular belief. Though as I said, it's all subjective and relative.

We have the same issue with sheep and goats raised for milk and wool. Though they are usually given free pasture. When a sheep is so old that the quality of its wool deteriorates I think we know what happens. What's the answer to all this? True veganism? Maybe.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

What about Milk abhishekas at temples? Some people do abhisheka at home too.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Vannakkam: Temples who are doing it properly use milk from happy cows. Many temples here in North America have no clue where the milk comes from, as they just accept it from the devotees, who often get it from the cheapest large store around. A few individuals will bring organic milk or support an individual cow at some smaller dairy, but its pretty hit and miss.

Still, pure milk is a fairly essential substance, and there is a sacred mixture of the 5 liquids that come from a cow, used in certain rites. It's just like a lot of other things. Over time some of the purity concepts got lost.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    What about Milk abhishekas at temples? Some people do abhisheka at home too.
    namaste

Yes, the sacrifices must be performed and fortunately some Hindus are running special
    cow farms which do not mistreat the cows and do not turn the calves into veal.
    It may be a bit of an inconvenience to acquire from those sources however.
    If all people wanted to do was use milk for sacrifice then there probably
    wouldn't be these problems which come with mass production.

Hari Aum
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Namaste.

Our temple is building a goshala.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste Jainarayan

This is the answer for America. We need to promote the establishment of Goshalas. Protecting and respecting cows as Mother is a form of Patriotism. If goshalas are presented as respecting and giving the cow a good life, as in a goshala, we can satisfy both the cow milk drinkers and the animal rights citizen. And if we extend the love of the patriot for Bhumi soil and earth to love and protection of cow as protecting one's Bhumi then we are also extending patriotism.

But the goat needs help, too. Today I visited a park, and in the park were 100s of goats. WHY? Because Americans are now learning that a GREAT business is to have goats as grasers to eat and thus clean parks and fields of dangerous fire hazards of dry fields that threaten homes. In the US there are now many homes in such areas at risk.

The owner of the goats loved his goats very much, I could see that. And he started a business that is rewarding him well. Economics can also give a path to both wealth and humanity. We only need to learn not to be brainwashed.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste,

Oh boy...sometimes it hurts to have your eyes opened...I have a neighbor who has her own few dairy cows and I will have to see if I can get milk for my kids from her. Those cows are royally treated. I have a few hens myself for eggs, and am thankful for them!
    Om Gam Ganapataye Namah!

Namaste all.

Quote Originally Posted by Brishti View Post
    Namaskar,

How about rice milk or soya milk?

Nowadays, they have soya milk with similar nutritional benefits as cow milk. I think it is a great alternative to cow milk, and some people actually enjoy its taste.
    Although I am not vegan(but lacto-vegetarian) I enjoy soya milk with cocoa-cereals almost every morning as breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan
    But the goat needs help, too.
    We gaudiya-vaishnava should avoid-as much we can-animal milk(so this has not nothing to do with soya milk) that it is not cow milk.
    So from my point of view,the best thing to do in order to help goats is stop to drink goat milk at all.

Furthermore the Veda teach us that the cow is our mother...only the cow,not other animals that produce milk

Pranama,
    Orlando.

Thread Information