Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarianism and weaker hair.

Vegetarianism and weaker hair.

Namaskar,

I have recently decided to cut out meat from my diet. I am very happy with the choice, however after a few months I noticed that my hair is becoming weaker, and falls out easily. I am not of age to begin balding, so this must be the effect of my dietary change.

I am pretty sure that I am not the only with this issue. There must be a way to treat this.

Will my hair eventually adapt to the low amount of iron consumed, and gain back its strength over time?

What are other excellent vegetarian sources of iron?

I do not want to return to meat at all, however I do not want my hair to fall off so easily.

Hopefully someone can help.
    Dhanyavad.

Re: Vegetarianism and weaker hair.

Vannakkam Brishti: I've never heard of this before, so personally, I think there might be something else going on besides your vegetarian diet.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

This is an unfounded fear. I know lofs of vegetarians, and even "monks" if you will who purposely cut off their hair so I do not know their "hair situation", but for others a few have lost hair, most others have thick set of hair.

No, other factors come into play. Even stress can cause this. If you are having stress, then sing bhajans. Actually, more light will shine from your aura too, if you sing bhajans.

You know, drunks in Russia drink a lot of vodka, and all these drunks have a thick set of shock white hair. But they also have liver disease.

I have thick hair, no problems... but for you, get some Moroccan Argan Oil.

It will work. And sing bhajans.

Om Namah Sivaya

Oh this sounds like an uncommon case now, I guess I'm a pretty weak person.

Either way I will try to improve my diet.
    And yes, I will definitely apply Moroccan oil to my hair. I have heard great things about it as well.

Thank you for the responses.
    Pranam.

Namast, Brishti,

Yes, I have noticed what you describe. I find that it takes effort to stay strong as a vegetarian; I have to take good care of myself instead of doing whatever I feel like. When I am not eating properly, my hair becomes brittle, breaking and splitting more easily. My eyelashes are affected too, so that I'll tug at the sensation of a falling eyelash and pull away five or six at once; at times this has produced small 'bald spots' around my eyes.

Here are some changes that have helped me:
    -As much as you are able, eat more slowly, chew better, and pay more attention during your meals. Eat regularly; feed your hunger instead of becoming ravenous.
    -Have a brief prayer or say a short mantra before meals, if you don't already. I like to mentally chant a mantra given in my Ayurveda course, but even a few moments of quiet thought will help. The digestive fire is divine fire, so to feed it with devotion and reverence is a life-giving, health-strengthening act.
    -To care for your hair, oil your hair and scalp with coconut oil, and wait a half-hour before washing it. Use warm water instead of hot.
    -Take a vitamin B12 supplement. Vegetarians usually don't take in enough of this nutrient. (Vegans certainly do not, unless they eat loads of spirulina daily.)
    -Increase fats. Oils, ghee, these are all good for this condition. Omega-3 oil supplements (like evening primrose oil, borage oil, or Dr. Udo's oil blend) are also helpful.
    -Increase protein-rich foods. (My own experience is that sour dairy - curd, buttermilk, kefir - is particularly helpful, but your constitution may be different.) A low-sugar protein powder supplement may be useful, too. (I use greens+transform, which is excellent, and have taken some other good kinds as well.)

I hope that at least some of these ideas help you too, and that your hair and health start to improve soon!

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    -Eat regularly; feed your hunger instead of becoming ravenous.
    Good post, although this point may not make a lot of difference. It is natural to have periods of fasts and feasts shifting between insulin dominance and growth hormone dominance. But if you are already fasting regularly, it doesn't really matter, you can eat whenever it suits you best.

http://edrv.endojournals.org/content/30/2/152.long

Namaskar,

Yes I will definitely incorporate more healthy food choices into my diet: Omega3, protein, etc. It gives me relief to know that I am not the only one facing this issue.
    I will also try to find a mantra that I can say before meals. Would you have any suggestions?

Thank you for the advice.

Before eating food, one should wash their hands and eat meal in silence facing east or north.
    One should have their food as Prasad. The food should be wholesome, easily digestible and sattvic food. Prior taking a meal:

One should chant the following sloka:

"Haridata Harirbhokta Hariannam Prajapatih Harih Sarvasarisasto Bhukte Bhojayate Harih"

Read the 15th chapter of the Srimad Bhagwad Gita if possible.

Offer 5 oblations to the pranas with the below mantras:

Om Pranaya Swaha, Om Apanaya Swaha, Om Udanaya Swaha, Om Vyanaya Swaha , Om Samanaya Swaha

अगस्त्यम कुम्भकर्णं च शनिं च बडवानलं |
    आहार परिपाकार्थ स्मरेद भीमं च पंचमं ||

Agastyam kumbhakarnam cha shanim cha badavaanalam
    Aahaara paripaakaartham smared bhimam cha panchakam

Chant this mantra while caressing your stomach with your left hand in the anti clock wise direction after having your meal. It helps in quick digestion.

since you are a mantra fanatic here is a complete compilation http://www.ashram.org/Publications/MantraVigyan.aspx
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Namast,

The 'oblation to the pranas' that Dhyandev gives is the same mantra I use, Brishti. It was taught to me in a different order, as such:

"...eating is thought to be an offering to the digestive fire, jatharagni. Before we eat, we should pay homage to that fire within us. Mantras to the five pranas may be chanted for offering the prana in the food to the inner fire. These chants are: Om pranaya swaha, om udanaya swaha, om samanaya swaha, om vyanaya swaha, om apanaya swaha."

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thank you both for suggesting this mantra.
    I was browsing for a mantra online, and I came across this very one as well.

Dhanyavad.

Thread Information