Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vegetarianism and weaker hair.

Re: Vegetarianism and weaker hair.

Vannakkam: Thank you, Brishti, for this thread. It has helped me re-realise the myth of vegetarianism in and of itself being healthy. Because my wife and I are programmed to replace meat with healthy stuff from a long time ago, I forget. So when I researched hair loss and vegetarianism on here, a lot did come up, mostly in regard to B12. There are lots of sources for B12, but many are not found in the typical Indian vegetarian diet.

Some western teenagers, unfortunately, in this country become vegetarians, thinking it means eating just vegetables. Then they suffer nutritionally, and go back to being carnivores for health reasons. So wisdom has to be applied in generous doses.

There are 4 main things in the standard Indian diet that western nutritionalists and health food nuts disapprove of: too much salt, too much sugar, white bread, and white rice. Note it says 'too much of', not suggesting it's poison. But cutting down on some of these is a good idea. You can buy multi-grain breads, brown rice, etc.

One idea, although quite the commitment in sadhana, is to record what you eat for a month, then analyze it with a really good nutrient book. That may give more hints. http://www.livestrong.com/article/11...RELARTICLES_R1

Best wishes in stopping the hair loss.

Aum namasivaya

Hair is one thing which is influenced by wide variety of things and it requires good green leafy vegetables to stress free life
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Hi. This is a common problem. As you cut out meat ( protein) from your diet , you have to substitute the loss with a vegetarian protein source. Have one katori daal with every meal. You'll notice a drop in the rate of hair fall in a couple of days itself.

If you want your hair to grow back and become full again...have a glass of carrot juice daily ........you'll be able to feel small stubbles of hair as you run your hand through the scalp after a month of doing so.

Try it....out!

namaste

Brishti, I had a similar problem but I made adjustments to my diet and supplementation and my hair is growing back thick and full (and I am over 50). You maybe missing something in your diet and/or supplementation. I recommend you read more on what it takes to build a nutritionally balanced vegetarian diet and make necessary changes and/or add supplementation. http://www.pcrm.org/health/diets/vsk...r-kit-powerful
    You can follow up by taking some classes and then (if necessary) the next step would be a consultation with a Registered Dietician. If that still doesn't help then you should see a physician because there may be other things going on.

Hari Aum

Studies have shown that poor nutrition, limited food intake, and deficiencies in certain nutrients can cause thinning. These include deficiencies of biotin, protein, zinc and poor human iron metabolism, although complete baldness is not usually seen. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness#Other_causes
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 22 October 2012 at 02:59 PM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Namaste,

I've been a vegetarian for the past 5 1/2 years and there has not been any change in my hair strength during that time. I was experiencing hair loss about a few months ago but that was due to stress and poor hair maintenance on my part. It's a widely misinformed opinion that vegetarians lack protein and as such will have weaker hair and nails this I assure you is false. Once you eat enough beans and leafy vegetables (which all contain some degree of protein) you should be fine

Regards,
    Bhagavankibhakt

Thread Information