Thread: Hindu Magazines, Temple Magazines, Spiritual Journals?

Hindu Magazines, Temple Magazines, Spiritual Journals?

Namaste

I am a subscriber to the magazine "Hinduism Today" - fantastic magazine!

Sometimes it's nice to hold a magazine in your hand to read while waiting to pick someone up from shopping, or in an airport or waiting for a train.

Of course, web pages are nice as well, and in part are causing the demise of magazines, some of which have gone out of business as a result of the internet.

The demise of the magazine is sad, many such are special subject, have beautiful pictures, art and photos, some are even of historical importance.

Take old "Back to Godhead" magazines for example - the old one's, volumes 1 to 40 for example printed on THICK paper, many examples of early Hare Krishna oil paintings and art are found on their covers. Of course BTGH magazine is alive and well, but some magazines you keepsake for different reasons. I have a set of pre-issue no. 40 and earlier of these, in a box for keeping. In fact, I even had a copy of what was considered the actual first edition which was not the No. 1 but predated it as a first attempt at US based "Back to Godhead" which was printed using an offset press and printed to different color paper stock and printed in Boston. Unfortunately I gave that one up to a GBC Swami who locked me in a room with two other devotees and pressurized me to surrended it to them for "historical reasons" to keep with other Prabhupada "history". Actually, Back to Godhead Magazine was first printed in India long before Prabhupad, these are really something to hold onto if you have them. There were also a few prints of the first three Cantos of the Srimad Bhagavatam which were printed in India by Prabhupad before he came to the US, copies which he brought with him, the first three volumes of the Srimad Bhagavatam by him were printed in Delhi between 1960 and 1965 and predate the early US editions. If you have any of these, hold on to them, they are highly desired, valuable, historical -- be careful! A company reprinted these decades later even along with exact cover sheets.

I read different magazines, from Archeology magazines, to UK edition of Ancient Egypt, Renaissance Magazine, investment and stock magazines, nature and bird magazines, historical, astronomy, and so on.
    I use to have a subscription mailed from India to the US, high quality, that would feature a different historical temple or ancient Indian stone murthi and such. Wonderful! Why I let that subscription lapse, I don't know. That was 2 decades ago, the magazine is no longer available. And there was Mang Magazine from India, can't find that anymore either.

I am wondering if any forum members would recommend any magazine subscriptions? Especially to Hindu magazines, Indian history, even those from India that would take cash payments by mail (though the money might be stolen in the mail), spiritual magazines and such, Journals, Temple magazines, etc?

Also does anyone want to share insights of beloved Hindu or Temple or Spiritual magazines of the past or present?

Any good suscription ideas?

PS - anyone have any good condition early BTGH or Hinduism Today, the first year issues? Some would be interested if for sale.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Hindu Magazines, Temple Magazines, Spiritual Journals?

Namaste

I`m not subscribing yet, due to my financial situation, but i have bought single volumes of Kalyana-Kalpataru, published by Gita Press: http://www.gitapress.org/mag_over.htm Truly enlightning! Once in a while you get a larger book with articles. Mostly each volume revolves around a theme, but i would in general label it as bhakti-oriented (the limited number i have read).

Santhi

Namaste Dharmi!

I am very happy to discover this publisher you have shared with us! I have sent an email to them ti inquire if they accept US Postal Service money orders to pay for subscription. If they do, I will definitely be subscribing to their English language version of Kalyana-Kalpataru. I was very impressed with their sample edition they had available for free online. I also see they have a number of book publications which look excellent, and since I practice Bhakti Yoga are very much oriented for people like me.

Thanks again! Any more gems you have? Gita Press also has GREAT art work to their publications, very pleasing to the reader!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste ShivaFan!

I am glad you found the Kalyana-Kalpataru interesting, and they indeed have a lot of books that deserves attention. I visited their shop in Varanasi, but unfortunately the variety of books offered in English were limited in the physical store here. However, i inquired about means of payment since the provided methods offered on the web-page didn`t suit me, instead they gave me their accountnumber and the relevant information for international bank-transfer. When i got home i had even received this information on mail. So this will be my prefered method and i am sure others will benefit to know.

Santhi

Thread Information