Namaste

In the Linga Purana, which lists the 1008 names of Siva, one of names of Shiva is Visnukandharapatana (Vishnukandharapatana) which is translated as "One who struck Down the Head of Vishnu" or "The One who Felled the Neck of Vishnu". It is the 835th Name.

I am curious to fully understand this Name. What is the meaning and history? Did Shiva hit the Head of Vishnu?

What is the mystery of this Name? Now we do know that Daksha organized a yajna sacrifice, he did not invite Shiva. Shiva sent Virabhadra to pay a rude visit to the sacrifice, and we are told that one of the fights that broke out involved Virabhadra and Vishnu, upon which Virabhdra struck the head or neck of Lord Vishnu. But I do not consider Virabhadra as the same as Shiva but only Portion of Shiva even though the Demon came from a single hair from Shiva. Many things are a portion of Shiva, but that is not te same as complete and fullly Shiva, otherwise Virabhadra would not need any instruction from Shiv, and would not need any direction at all if fully Shiva. Bhadra Kali is the consort of Virabhadra. But is this the meaning of the Name?

One of my paths is to love in unity Vaishnava and Shakta devotees as part of Dharma. This will grow my soul. Of course Vishnu recovered and Siva and Vishnu cherish each of. In my Ishta devotion, Hanuman for me links Saiva and Vaishnav in my path as friends forever. But this particular Name is bothering me. Please help!

Any comments?

Om Namah Sivaya.