Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visnukandharapatana (Name of Shiva)

Visnukandharapatana (Name of Shiva)

Namaste

In the Linga Purana, which lists the 1008 names of Siva, one of names of Shiva is Visnukandharapatana (Vishnukandharapatana) which is translated as "One who struck Down the Head of Vishnu" or "The One who Felled the Neck of Vishnu". It is the 835th Name.

I am curious to fully understand this Name. What is the meaning and history? Did Shiva hit the Head of Vishnu?

What is the mystery of this Name? Now we do know that Daksha organized a yajna sacrifice, he did not invite Shiva. Shiva sent Virabhadra to pay a rude visit to the sacrifice, and we are told that one of the fights that broke out involved Virabhadra and Vishnu, upon which Virabhdra struck the head or neck of Lord Vishnu. But I do not consider Virabhadra as the same as Shiva but only Portion of Shiva even though the Demon came from a single hair from Shiva. Many things are a portion of Shiva, but that is not te same as complete and fullly Shiva, otherwise Virabhadra would not need any instruction from Shiv, and would not need any direction at all if fully Shiva. Bhadra Kali is the consort of Virabhadra. But is this the meaning of the Name?

One of my paths is to love in unity Vaishnava and Shakta devotees as part of Dharma. This will grow my soul. Of course Vishnu recovered and Siva and Vishnu cherish each of. In my Ishta devotion, Hanuman for me links Saiva and Vaishnav in my path as friends forever. But this particular Name is bothering me. Please help!

Any comments?

Om Namah Sivaya.

Re: Visnukandharapatana (Name of Shiva)

Namaste

Note - I purposely put this in the jalpa section. Because it may attract jalpa. I hope not.

Om Namah Sivaya

In the little of the purana I know, there is no fight b/w Shiva or Veerabadra and Vishnu. Instead, Sri Vishnu assists the cause of Lord Shiva by sending his disc to chop down the burnt body of already dead Sakthi into 108 pieces so they could fall down in 108 places in Bharat and become Shakti sthalas.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thanks Aspirant!
    I could be confusing the history from timeless past. I like what you say.

I still wonder.... what is the mystery to this Visnukandharapatana name????

I was guessing, and it may have nothing to do with Daksha.

Jai Hanuman! Om Namah Sivaya

It might have something to do with 'Arunachala' story - when Vishnu as a boar kept digging down the earth and kept going down trying to reach the feet of Lord Shiva who stood as a beam of fire. Maybe since Vishnu could not find the feet and going down digging more, this caused a sprain in his neck.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Aspirant,Shiva does kill all the devas including Vishnu in the story.What you are posting is from the modified Vaishnava version at the end of which Shiva worships Vishnu.

Why are we discussing stories obviously invented by Shaivas and Vaishnavas to denigrate each other's deities?
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Arrow Re: Visnukandharapatana (Name of Shiva)

Namaste Omkara
    I think you make a good point, and there was no intention of demeaning another's Deva, Devi or Devotion over the other. In fact, in the few responses I saw the opposite, examples of Saiva and Vaishnav being friends forever. I would expand my yearning and what only seems natural to me to embrace Shakta.
    Anyone who knows me, pretty much knows the spirit of unity in my heart. For whatever reason my larger commitments, Saiva Siddhanta for example, are also complimented with Ishta devotion that aligns my spirit as a friend and admirer of both Vaishnav and of course Shakta ... my Ishta Lord Hanuman Whom I believe is Shiva has Sita and Ram in His heart, and Ram Whom is Vishnu is a devotee of Siva, and The Perfect Man of His own standing. An aspect of Parvati is Mother Annapurna Whom I have great Bhakti and devotion to. Lord Shiva begs Alms from Her. For many wandering souls such as myself, Her Alms are also spiritual food for seekers such as me who also beg alms from Her, the Devi. But this sometimes gets me in trouble with fellow Saivas, what to speak of others.
    There are many links between our Family of Hinduism. For whatever reason, the Deva and Devi welcomed me and that unity of spirit in these circumstances will never allow me to abandone my Fellow Hindu. While there are differences, different cars if you will to take you to the destination, we all hold the True Map even though we are coming from different points in the Universe but the Map shows the entire universe and all the roads to the Capitol or destination. As a Saiva, one Saiva many not believe in the overall way of Avatar, but for a Saiva such as me that does not mean there was no Ram. There was.
    The other day I decided to chant the 1008 Names of Shiva as outlined in Linga Purana. But I came upon this one Name. And so my hope was if some member would know the True Mystery of this Name.
    But there may be no answer to this question. And in the spirit of never desiring that one denegrate another's Deva or Devi, perhaps you are right and to lay this question to rest.
    Today I think of Hanuman, Who set all of Lanka Burning with the Fire of His Holy Tail. Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam Shiva Fan: I get confused with the English translations of a lot of names (amongst other Sanskrit). Perhaps the answer lies in the possibility it is a poor translation. There may well be other translations.

There are also 'crossover' names. Names that appear in more than one list, perhaps many.

This is off topic but ... there is one such name that appears in both Ganesha's 108, and Siva's 108. (the ones I am familiar with ... there are several versions.) At one time I had both memorized, and occasionally I would do a switch at that point. My memory work was based on one following another, like in counting, so I'd say that name ... then the next name from the wrong list, and then keep going. But oddly enough, the vibration would flip too. I'd be suddenly calling Siva instead of Ganesha, or vice versa. Then I'd have to stop, and start somewhere close on a correct name. That's when it really struck me how powerful the chanting of names is.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Eastern Mind

This is amazing, I really appreciate this example of the power of chanting.

Sometimes I think I just want chant the name(s) of powerful and loving Guru, Saint, Yogi, mystic, the great wandering Holy ones be they a Tamil Saint or Lord Narada.

I think, Who is The Deva of the orphans? Who is the Siddha who is The Protector of Orphans? ... But then we can actually find miracles of a true orphan who became a Guru. When I think of such Masters, I can chant their name, too! Then even your breath my leave you lungs due to such presence. But luckily, since Maha Deva is also the Lord of Breath, we can wander the call of Nmes to Him and the breath comes back!

Today I think of Hanuman, Who was the First Messenger to Mother Sita

Shivafan,Shaivas not accepting the concept of avatars does not mean we beleive tht Rama and Krishna did not exist.For us they were highly enlightened beings,but they were human,not gods.There is no doubt they existed..This is accepted by historians also.
    Also,Shaivas do not necessarily beleive some of the more fantastical things in the Ramayana eg.flying vehicles etc. really happened,but were possibly exaggerations by later storytellers.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Thread Information