Thread: Speaking Truth - What is called Thruth ?

Speaking Truth - What is called Thruth ?

Namaste,

I have a question for speaking Truth. What is called speaking Truth ?

Do our scriptures have any specific guidelines for speaking truth ?

Do we have to sugar coat Truth or do we need take political approach in speaking Truth ? In the day to day use I have seen people take political approach in speaking.

Truth is bitter, so in that case, is it okay to speak even if it hurt someone ?

It would be great if people comment about this with respect to Scriptural guidelines.

Gratitude,
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Re: Speaking Truth - What is called Thruth ?

I have an interesting example for this issue of speaking truth. In olden days, those performing tapas sometimes take the vow of speaking only the truth. One sage once was performing tapas having taken such a vow when a king hunting a wild animal crossed that spot where the sage was seated. Beyond that place, the king had no clue where the animal had gone, so he asked the sage who had wide open eyes if he had seen him and which direction he had gone. The sage, who had taken the vow to speak the truth told him, "That which speaks did not see, that which saw cannot speak" - meaning, "the eyes which can only see cannot speak, the mouth which can only speak cannot see". The king did not understand what the sage said and asked him again and again and to this the sage replied the same. Finally the king decided that the sage did not see the animal and left the place. The sage had effectively saved the animal while speaking truth all the time.

Sometimes saving others might need lies be told and in this case, the lie might be the truth.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    The sage had effectively saved the animal while speaking truth all the time.
    Sometimes saving others might need lies be told and in this case, the lie might be the truth.
    I really like this example, Aspirant, but is there not such a thing as "Lying by Omission"? After all the King did not ask whether the Sage's eyes could speak or his mouth see. He asked if he had seen the animal and which way it went. I think a better way to handle that, if one wanted to be speak completely truthfully, would be
    "Yes, I have seen the animal but I will not tell you which way it went." This way, you speak the truth, and save the animal too. Now, one could argue that the king could have punished the sage for refusing to answer. But that can be the nature of truth. That is why people lie sometimes -to avoid punishment or trouble. But that is also why Truthfulness is such a virtue because it comes with risks.

To speak to AmIHindu,

I was once taught in a Philosophy class that to be truthful and moral, what one said had to be truthful, necessary and spoken with kindness.

There are ugly truths that are never easy to hear, but that is not due to the nature of the one telling the truth, but the guilt, shame or bad feelings of the person hearing the truth. You cannot control the reaction of others. You can endeavor to be kind, but you still might hurting someone's feelings. But they must learn to be the masters of their emotions and to learn from what has been said.

Thank you for this topic!

Peace!
    Last edited by Jodhaa; 12 September 2012 at 01:05 PM. Reason: font size
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    "That which speaks did not see, that which saw cannot speak" - meaning, "the eyes which can only see cannot speak, the mouth which can only speak cannot see". saved the animal while speaking truth all the time.
    This is a good example, to save someone one can speak SMART TRUTH. Is that correct word ? Well I am not sure.
    So one point - one can speak or evade speaking pure truth when one is in Dilemma.

Jodhaa - "Yes, I have seen the animal but I will not tell you which way it went." This way, you speak the truth, and save the animal too. Now, one could argue that the king could have punished the sage for refusing to answer. But that can be the nature of truth. That is why people lie sometimes -to avoid punishment or trouble. But that is also why Truthfulness is such a virtue because it comes with risks.
    People always lie when they are scared, but present days it is very bad, people just check if he is speaks LEGAL truth, morality is not involved in it. One can prove false as Truth with lawyers.

what one said had to be truthful, necessary and spoken with kindness.
    I do agree but at the risk of your are getting labeled as rude - bad mouth.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

I don't see any connection between truth and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti29 View Post
    I don't see any connection between truth and kindness.
    Namaste, Shanti29!

Kindness in terms of how one delivers the truth. If someone asks you if you think the piece of art they created is good, and you think it's terrible, you can tell the truth in a mean way -
    "This is awful!" Or you can be kind, - "I think there are some things you could improve, like....".

Or, as an alternative,
    "It's not really my style.", etc.

Both are true, but one is more helpful and less destructive.

Correction:
    Now that I re-read this, "I think there are some things you could improve, like....". That phrase could also be interpreted as skirting the issue. So a truly honest, but kind response would be the second example I gave (It makes it clear that the criticism isn't personal) or something even more direct like, "Honestly, I don't like it, but if you like I can tell you what you could improve..." - or something like that. The goal is to be honest without making it into a personal judgement. This is an ideal situation of course. And again, no matter how kind you are, you may still hurt feelings. I guess the difference is between bruising someone's ego momentary and completely burning a bridge.

Peace!
    Last edited by Jodhaa; 12 September 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: clarification
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information