Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I love Hinduism!

Re: I love Hinduism!

I like rationality - in respecting ecology, spirit, beauty, intelligence and love - all of which traditional indian religion has.
    Om Hrim Kshraum Ugram Veeram Maha-Vishnum, Jwalantham Sarvatho Mukham Nrisimham Bheeshanam Bhadram Mrityu-Mrityum Namaamyaham

Follower of Śeṣanaaga

Pranam

Going on a pilgrimage is an eternal past time, the beauty of it all in our Dharma it is a privilege and an honour to embark on it. only place i know that you could travel pennyless all over the country and get a shelter and food in Ashrams. Atithi Devobhava.
    On special occasions people travel to particular shrines on foot for miles, along the way many anaa kshetra and a place to keep get set up voluntarily, actually people beg you to come eat with them, how wonderful is that.
    On hot summer day on outskirt of a village it would be a surprise not to find some one serving water, in Gujarat it is called Parab.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post

PS, It is the place that God made before He made heaven, according to MT.
    Vannakkam Believer: Indeed, only some 74 days until liftoff. Until then here will have to do. But things there are looking really good in terms of preparation.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: @Jainarayan ... hey, make your own list, I want to get to 108. Quit stealing my numbers. The people who mentioned it is fun have it right.

29) You can easily take it with you wherever you go because its inside you.
    30) Mangoes - Ganesha loves mangoes, and so do I. If somebody invents a temperate mango, I'm in!
    31) You can disagree with someone without facing a hate stare or ridicule.
    32) When you close your eyes, you get to see things only you can see, a gift from God.
    33) With training comes insight, so you can see things in a wiser perspective, from a more whole POV.
    34) It has built in exercise, walking pilgrimages, prostrations, hatha yoga, so in order to get exercise you just have to practice your religion.
    35) The route is marked. There are signposts along the way so you don't get lost.
    36) Intelligent people are curious about you, and it is therefore easier to engage them in pleasant discussion, improving the day on both sides.

Aum Namasivaya

You can disagree with someone without facing a hate stare or ridicule.
    that would be soooo nice if it were true. you can disagree with god without facing hateful stares or ridicule. he will look at you with compassion.

according to the scriptures, you should be able to disagree with someone without facing a hate stare or ridicule.
    fixed that for you

like any religion practiced by humans and run by humans Hinduism practitioners prone to bouts of dogmatic ignorance.
    Om Hrim Kshraum Ugram Veeram Maha-Vishnum, Jwalantham Sarvatho Mukham Nrisimham Bheeshanam Bhadram Mrityu-Mrityum Namaamyaham

Follower of Śeṣanaaga

Vannakkam Izi: I'm speaking from my version of Hinduism, as I said in the first post, and yes, I don't get hate stares or ridicule. Your version may differ of course. 98% of my social association is with Hindus. A few old relatives are the exception, and they aren't haters. The one ridiculer died off.

Aum Namasivaya

One of the reasons I like Hinduism is for its colourful and spiritual festivals.

Here's a list of functions/festivals even a sect of Hinduism as mine does in an year: http://www.trsiyengar.com/id36.shtml.

And here's (just a few) the list of festival specific, unique sweets and dishes prepared:

Modakam, Appam, SUyyam, Adhirasam, Seedai, Panagam, Thenkuzhal, Murukku.... These are apart from what is available at stores (except Murukku)!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    (except Murukku)!
    Vannakkam: Wow, I can get Murukku here in old and lonely western Canada. I bought a bag once and took it to school. The stuff was gone by recess.

Aum Namasivaya

I think one of the main things that attracted me to Hinduism at first was that it struck me (and still does) as a faith grounded in joy and celebration. As Aspirant pointed out, the innumerable festivals, full or color and light are evidence of this.

There are times for somber reflection of course, but I love that Hinduism is about truly celebrating God, life, love and the journey. The Hindu God ( for me) has a sense of humor and overflows with compassion. That is the God I always knew must exist, but couldn't see until I found Hinduism.

Peace. (and joy!)
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Wow, I can get Murukku here in old and lonely western Canada. I bought a bag once and took it to school. The stuff was gone by recess.

Aum Namasivaya
    I made Thenkuzhal just a few days ago for Krishna Jayanthi (it tastes like Murukku) - my son who is so choosy about Indian food also kept asking for it! (A way to pull him into Hindu culture!)
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information