Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have no idea where I am going...!

I have no idea where I am going...!

Well, actualy I don't even know if it's the right place to post, because I am a pagan, and I know very little about Hinduism... According to McKitty, I'm similar to a Shakta, though.

I must say that, at the begining of my journey through paganism, I was confident. I had many dreams, teachings, from forces I couldn't really identify. I had the feeling I wasn't alone, even though I've always been isolated, like most of the pagans.
    But now, I have the impression to crawl in complete darkness: I have no idea what to do, who to speak with... I don't even know what to ask!
    I must confess that I've never been a great practician... Like a lot of people, I wasted my time with meaningless hobbies, and little by little, I forgot my own believes.

I would like to solve this, but I don't know where to start... Pagans aren't really organized, there's no way I could find help by asking someone as lost as me.
    So, I thought maybe I could find help here...?

Thanks for reading my whines! And sorry for the poor english...

Re: I have no idea where I am going...!

Vannakkam Deshtat: In Hinduism, we believe that everyone is headed for Self-realisation, and then as a result, moksha, or the escape from the cycle of rebirth, total identification with who we actually are, God.

So if you were to ask me where I think you're going, that's what I would say. Difficulty only arises when you ask, "But how do I get there?" Then you may have to make some choices.

Welcome to these forums, and I hope in some small way we can aid you in getting out of any dilemmas you feel you are facing at this juncture.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Deshtat View Post
    Well, actualy I don't even know if it's the right place to post, because I am a pagan, and I know very little about Hinduism... According to McKitty, I'm similar to a Shakta, though.

I must say that, at the begining of my journey through paganism, I was confident. I had many dreams, teachings, from forces I couldn't really identify. I had the feeling I wasn't alone, even though I've always been isolated, like most of the pagans.
    But now, I have the impression to crawl in complete darkness: I have no idea what to do, who to speak with... I don't even know what to ask!
    I must confess that I've never been a great practician... Like a lot of people, I wasted my time with meaningless hobbies, and little by little, I forgot my own believes.

I would like to solve this, but I don't know where to start... Pagans aren't really organized, there's no way I could find help by asking someone as lost as me.
    So, I thought maybe I could find help here...?

Thanks for reading my whines! And sorry for the poor english...
    Namaste, Deshtat!

Welcome to the forums. Like EM said, I hope you can find some guidance from the forums. I am relatively new to Hinduism myself in terms of practicing regularly and solidifying my beliefs, however, looking back at my life I can see small clues that spoke to why I eventually came to Sanatana Dharma.

As to where you should begin? Everyone is different which is both exciting and frustrating I can tell you from my own experience that one good place to begin is with intuition. What feels right? What qualities in paganism really draw you in? Often, our intuition is the part of us that is the most honest. What we discover about ourselves through intuition may not be the ending place, but rather a start to understanding.

It sounds like you are looking for structure. You seem lost because your experience of paganism is that it lacks a sense of organization - is that correct? Do you feel like you want more ritual? Community? Scripture?

Ask Questions and you won't be able to help moving forward. It's not fast and sometimes it's not even linear, but you'll get "there" -wherever "there" is for you.

Again, Welcome!

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Well, actualy I don't even know if it's the right place to post, because I am a pagan, and I know very little about Hinduism...
    What do you wish to accomplish ?

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Greetings, and thanks for the answers.

Actually, I wasn't able to put words on my thoughts, but it seems Eastern Mind just did it for me: Self-realisation, and what you call Moksha. Yes, that's pretty much it.

Jodhaa, I think paganism has as many flaws as it has qualities... For instance, pagans have no historical nation, so their beliefs did not suffer from political needs. But instead, they suffered a lack of organisation, and today, nearly each pagan has his own paganism. I must say, i don't know paganism so well myself, because there is no proper definition of it.
    The only thing I know is that a femal presence showed me the way as I was lost, several times. The Goddess, or the Great Mother of paganism corresponded to her, and that's why I followed.

I know it may seem cheap, but as you say, I followed my intuition... ^^

Now yes: "How do I get there" is my question, and there's a possibility for this forum to be a part of the answer...

Thanks everyone, it feels good to be understood ^^ Maybe one day I'll understand myself, who knows...? x)

Greetings, and thanks for the answers.
    Now yes: "How do I get there" is my question, and there's a possibility for this forum to be a part of the answer...
    First off: welcome to the forums! I think that you will find that Hinduism (i.e. Sanatana Dharma) is imminently practical in that it has something for everyone. If moksha is what you're looking for, you will find that there are different ways to get there, all of which compliment each other. Four main avenues to that goal are emphasized: the yogas of bhakti (devotion to a deity), jnana (philosophical learning), raja (meditation), and karma (serving others). The reason these four main paths are emphasized is that every individual has a different personality, with its own strengths and weaknesses. I suggest that you choose the one that appeals to you and fits your personality best, then you can set out to master it.
    ~Har Har Mahadev~

Where there is Truth there is Victory

"The mind is a dangerous weapon, even to the possessor, if he knows not discreetly how to use it." - Michel de Montaigne

~Om Namah Shivay~

Vannakkam Deshtat: My humble suggestion, as always, is to find a local Hindu temple to attend. Natural Hindus will feel comfortable or intrigued there, while those not cut out for our path may feel uncomfortable with the smells, sounds, etc. Sometimes this can be a shortcut to a decision. It may hasten things either way.

Mystically, the inner beings hovering in the sanctity of a properly run Hindu temple will see you, and intuitively know what is best for you, the jiva (soul) you. Experienced watchers of newcomers can intuit this too.

If you feel the need to read, I'd suggest some introductory book explaining multiple POVs, as indeed there are.

Aum Namasivaya

Then I'll visit one. ^^ There must be several temples near Paris, I think I'll check by the end of the month.

About the four paths, I must admit I can't decide yet... Maybe I should learn about each path first ^^ Thanks a lot, I had no idea there were different ways...

Now, all I have to do is try x) Thanks again!

Then I'll visit one. ^^ There must be several temples near Paris, I think I'll check by the end of the month.

About the four paths, I must admit I can't decide yet... Maybe I should learn about each path first ^^ Thanks a lot, I had no idea there were different ways...

Now, all I have to do is try x) Thanks again!
    Vannakkam: Paris, France? There is a Ganesha temple there somewhere, called a Vinayagar temple. Just google it. not sure of others, though. Nice writup on Paris's Little India, including the temple .. http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ref=t-magazine

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 20 September 2012 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks for the tip, I knew there were a temple somewhere, but I had no idea of the name ^^ I'll try to bring McKitty with me, she would like to come too. I'll share my experience with you when we're done =)

Thread Information