Thread: Beloved Crocodile, Beloved Gharial

Beloved Crocodile, Beloved Gharial

Ganga on the Gharial:

Namaste

I love India, and one of the many reasons is the outstanding animals and wildlife.

I love the Indian Elephant. Who doesn't? I can give a very long list of Indian wildlife that I love, and of course I love the beautiful cows of India. And I even love the Crocodile.

A good Punjabi friend of mine (Devraj, where are you?) who returned to India use to often say (about some of those who were of another religion unnamed), to watch out, they cry "crocodile tears". That meant, the Lord Crocodile will smile while lying, the Lord of the Holy Rivers can cry many tears to make you think that Their Sympathy is especially for you who has lost your leg, but the Mother Crocodile teaches Her baby, "it is no sin and no karma if we lie, or cry fake tears of grief, for we are crocodile, and our religion says we can lie and cry many tears, the end justifies the means, and the means is to bite them".

So we see the Lord Crocodile has this bad reputation.

But despite that, I love the Crock nevertheless. Why? Well one reason is Mother Ganga.

When I think of Ganga, most often I see Kashi.

Kashi is considered the City Never Foresaken by Shiva. It is the City of Light and the City of Shiva, and one of the many reasons is Ma Ganga. All the Gods have come to Kashi, including Ganga. Kashi is so old, the oldest City, it is considered existing even before Ganga Devi was touching Kashi. Today Ganga flows North to South in crescent shape and touches many of the holy tirthas there, the ghats and She is revered. The City is also called Varanasi, or where the Varana and Asi rivers join the Ganges. You may already know this, but just sharing such information can even bring blessings. There is also found the Panch Ganga Ghat where is worshipped the confluence of five sacred rivers Ganga, Yamuna, Saraswati, Dhootpapa and Kirinna. The Ganga Jal from here can give moksha, certainly the blessings are fantastic.

Mother Ganga is associated with all aspects of Hinduism, and like Hanuman, interweaves all sects Shaiva, Vaishnava, Shakta, and She is special to Karttikeya Muruga. She is a unifier of Hinduism just as blades of dry grass are interweaved to form a basket. This basket of Hinduism floats on the Ganga, so She is the Mother of Hinduism today, just as Saraswati is the Mother of Sanatana Dharma from Vedic times. Not all agree with the encompassing histories of Her, so in presenting my understanding may lead to jalpa. I see Her as a partner of Agni, Vishnu, Shiva, not necessarily and directly the Wife of, and She is understood by me to be the sister of Parvati, it was Ganga who embraced Skanda and thus also Mother of Karttikeya-Muruga, and in so many way unites all of us as Hindus to be friends forever. I love Her also as Goddess or Devi in Her own right. The stories of Her and the descent are ready and available to you to hear of, so no need to go into these wonders, you will enjoy this adventure as explained by yogis, gurus, text and so on.

But I will mention one aspect anyway even though it may start jalpa, because I love what was shared and explained to me, so briefly sharing some seems of little harm, at least I hope not.

It has to do with Her mount, Her Vahana, the magara, and it is the Crocodile. Actually, there is a divine being called Makara which can be part fish, part crocodile who has a long nose like an elephant. Also Makara can manifest as a midget man.

But I see Her on the crock. And there are two crocks in India, the Mugger which looks more typical of the crocks found in the world, and the Stunning Gharial, which has a long nose with a knob at the end that can emit a hissing sound. In fact the Gharial indeed has the looks of the Makara.

Firstly, when I think of Ganga in Murthi form, I see Her not only as Ganga Lal and the Beauty of Her Waves, I see a beautiful Goddess. Next to Her, or upon which She is mounted, the Crocodile, for I always see Her mounted on a Crocodile, and the crocodile I see Her on is the Gharial, which is beautiful, grows to over 20 feet long and 2,000 pounds. This Crocodile of merit also serves to eat any bodies which by chance are not fully cremated but find their way into Ganga or other rivers. To me, this is the mount of Ganga, that is what is Her Vahana to me. She (Gharial) predates the most ancients.

But today some mysterious disease has come to Her, the beloved Gharial. In 2006 there were 2000 in Ganga and the other Holy Rivers. Then the disease came. Gharial was on the brink. In the kidney were found white powder. Crytalized uric acid, a sign of kidney poisoning typically from toxins.

On the snout of the male is the ball, which makes a hissing sound. The snout may get caught up in modern plastic fishing-line like nets used by some fishermen which get lost in the water.

But it appears the toxins are the problem. And it appears it is coming from the Yamuna River. There use to be 40 species of fish in areas of the Yamuna. Now there is only one. ATilapia – an introduced fish species, not even native. Also fish eat toxins. And Gharial eat fish.

The Yamuna is so polluted in some places, you will probably die if you drink the water directly. To me, the Ganga is always pure, no matter if polluted. But this is on the spiritual level. The pollution of either, isn't good for the Gharial. The same holds true for the Yamuna.

It looks like there is now only one tiny island where the baby Gharial hatch and takes over crowded steps of life. Well, the only one found. Located in a sanctuary, the National Chambal Sanctuary, but it recently collapsed in a monsoon.

It appears the cause of the mysterious disease is in the Yamuna.

You may not think of the Gharial as the mount of Ganga. After all, there is also the Mugger Crocodile. As mentioned, She is also seen mounted on half crocodile and half fish. But please, pray to help the beloved Gharial. She is not the only one suffering. Now they are finding mass die off of fish themselves. I think the Mugger is next.

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Beloved Crocodile, Beloved Gharial

Namaste,

I'm surprised it is mentioned somewhere that Ganga is the sister of Parvathi.

As much as I know (as documented in the puranas), when Sri Vishnu took the TriVikrama avatara, one of his feet extended into the Sathyaloka which Brahma the creator washed with water in his Kamandala - and this water came to be known as 'Ganga' - this is the birth of Ganga. Whereas Parvathi was the daughter of the King of Himalayas - Himavan and Ganga was not born to Himavan.

I could be wrong and that's why I'm writing this.

Also, is Ganga the mother of Skanda? Skanda is known to be born/united as 6 flames into 1 child in 'Saravana Poigai' in the HImalayas by Karthika Maidens. I do not know what this Saravana Poigai is - but wonder if it is Ganga...?

Pranam.
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Namaste Aspirant01

I have been in IT training this week and for the next two weeks, but tonight I see a reply to my post on the Gharial from you. I hope you are as concerned for this majestic and beloved Crocodile as so many are, it is because of our love for India and Hinduism that makes us want to do whatever we can to love and protect the beautiful Gharial.

I am humbled and actually shy that you would ask me to perhaps give an answer to your exciting questions. I say exciting, because that is what Hinduism is for me. But, sadly I can only reply with my understanding as taught to me, and I suspect you already know these answers simply because you are a Hindu, and Hinduism is about becoming experienced, it is an experience and not just words, and it isn’t a matter of hearing an answer in some language such as “English”, but in experiencing the answers. The answer given to you may not be the same experience of mine. Certainly there are often wrong answers in this world, but also because there are so many wonders in all of our adventures in Hinduism, there are more often multiple choice answers of which multiple choices are all correct. When you go to Guru, or Saint, or Yogi, or Mystic, they can give you your answer, not me. They will lead you to your experience. But I can share some thoughts, and if we do not have the exact same response, it doesn’t make one right and the other wrong.

Are not the Wonders of India so amazing? And the wonders of the universe are as well, and just think about the Devas and Devis and so many wonders. Right now I live here on Bhumi Mother Earth. Right now, Mother Ganga is here.

Let us take the example of Ganga, not in Her beautiful Form as the Goddess Devi on Her mount the Crocodile, but in Her form as Ganga Jal. She is there for you right now in this form. Do you know that the Gods all love Her? They do indeed – what God would not want to wash Their Feet in Her Jal?

One day Lord Chandra told Lord Surya, that Ganga Jal came from His Feet.

And He would be correct. For in fact, upon the Descent of the Ganges, She passed through Lord Shiva’s locks, and in His hair is Lord Chandra.

But then Lord Surya will tell Lord Chandra the same. Do you know why?

If I take a hand bowl, and in it is Ganga Jal, then is it Ganga Jal?

Yes it is. But how can Ganga Jal be in a hand bowl, and also in Kashi?

Oh, but God and Goddess can be in two places at once.

And if I pour that Ganga Jal which is in my hand bowl into the Ganga River at Kashi, then is it Ganga Jal?

Yes, now it has merged into Ganga. It was before, and is now.

The Wonders of Hinduism are vast, and every True God washes Their feet in Ganga Jal. Brahma washed the Feet of Vishnu from His hand bowl. Surely, it was Ganga Jal. Just as the feet of Chandra, and the feet of countless other Gods. And so did Indra. Lord Indra gave Her a very special Place in His Heaven. She is still there, in a Kamandalu. Many have washed Their feet in Ganga Jal. Why? Because They Love Her so much, and that is why the Power and Love of countless Gods are found in the Ganga Jal, and She embraces every One of Them.

Do you know how many Gods, Angels and Divines have washed Their feet in Ganga Jal?

33 crores of Gods. And not only has this happened before, it is happening right now, every day, again and again.

Do you know where?

In Kashi. All the Gods have come to Kashi. Because Ganga is there. And if you go to Kashi, and put your feet in Ganga Devi, you will be given all the blessings from the feet of all those Gods and from Ganga Goddess Herself who is waiting for you to come, She will embrace you just as She embraced Lord Skanda in Her Waters. For Agni cast the force of Shiva into the Ganga to cool down, and there Mother Ganga embraced Him who was to be Skanda and She is forever known as His foster Mother. But Muruga is beloved by many Mothers. In fact, Six Mothers who live in the far away place some call today the Pleiades came to the bank of the Ganges. It is understood that these Mothers gave divine milk to the One who Holds the Vel. Parvati as the wife of Shiva did not have to wait long for the Son of Shiva to come to Her lap. Because He was already there even before He came.

Mother Parvati knew that Her Sister, Ganga, would embrace Her child, because a Sister knows her Sister. When Shiva gave up Kailasa to meditate at Gangavatara in the Himalayas, it is said that great Cedar Trees were there. And these were nourished by Ganga Jal. Parvataraja visted Shiva at that place. For His daughter Parvati would be wed to Mahadeva. But Shiva would not stop meditation. Every morning, Parvati would go to that place and with the water of Ganga Jal, the Great Mother of the World would wash the feet of Lord Shiva. Of course Ganga was there, because Parvataraja was the King of Oushadhiprastha where Shiva waited in meditation. Ganga was there, and as King so it was She was the daughter of this Ruler of all the Realm of that holy place where Gandharvas are found. Being chief of all the Himalayas, he was called Himavantha. Parvathi was his daughter. So Ganga is Parvati’s Sister, for She is the Daughter of the Divine Realm where Shiva waited. But She is also the daughter of every Holy Mountain. Because all the great sages who go to Kashi, so many return to these same Holy Mountains with Her blessings.

But she is not only the Mother of Muruga, She is your Mother as well, but you already know that!

Certainly, I believe She is MY Mother. Why? Because I am a Hindu. And I am a Hindu living in This World, right now, on Mother Bhumi Earth. And on Mother Bhumi flows Ganga. And Ganga is the Mother of all Hindus living along side of me. And all Hindus are one, no matter if we are Shaiva, or Vaishnava, or Shakta. There are many reasons why. She is one, very powerful reason.

Because we are all Hindus, we are experiencing many diverse wonders. I am sure there are unbelievable wonders that are especially just for you. No matter if you are Vaishnava, and I am Shaiva, and your well wisher is Shakta, we all are interlinked in the Wonders of the Devas and in Devi, because it seems that is Their Plan. We have much more in common than we have in differences. Maybe that is part of the cycles, or the Dance of Shiva? I hope someone will give me the answer to that question.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste ShivaFanji,

You have given a great reply - no, I could not find what I was looking for but you have increased my appreciation of mother Ganga tremendously. !! (Btw, Ganga is also the mother of Bheeshma).

What I meant earlier (about the birth of Ganga in the heavens) is from Vishnu Purana - according to Vishnu purana, the ordinary water with which Brahma washed Sriman Narayana's foot, out of the sanctity of having touched the holy foot of Narayana, got privileged to be born into the holy river Ganga.

But I searched the net and found that according to Skanda Purana, Ganga is born to Himavan as his oldest daugther and sister of Parvathi.

Are the 2 puranas contradicting each other or is Ganga born in Heavens after the Trivikramavatara episode and then later she is reborn on earth, I do not know. (Ganga is the most pampered, she has the names Jahnavi, Bhageerathi and so forth out of being born to different Sannyasis such as through their Kamandala, ears and so forth.... she has no short-coming of foster parents who dote on her!).

HAIL TO MOTHER GANGA!

Pranam.
    Last edited by Viraja; 19 September 2012 at 01:37 PM.

Talking Re: Beloved Crocodile, Beloved Gharial

Namaste Aspirant01

Do not worry about these minor things. That’s my opinion, though opinion can be dubious. You will know what is correct, it will be obvious because you want to align with the truth, so there won’t be any problem - just go to whoever is your Guru, ask the yogis and saints and such, read the Sacred Texts, and all the obvious and simple things will become simple and obvious. This isn’t difficult for you, even though it might be for me or maybe I just don't worry too much so there really isn't any difficulty at all. What I have heard is, that, if you keep your perceptions pure, and then if you do that, enjoy the blessings, the knowledge, have devotion, you will know what is the best answer for you because it will align with you as your blessing to you. At least, that is what I have heard - I hope that is true for others. I certainly believe so. Though I also know that for some others, they are very advanced and are very much living in the Brahman. Currently, I am not, but frankly I am currently not interested in that, but perhaps that will change later, though I suspect it will be a long, long, very long time, maybe never ("One" in Brahman - for me, right now, not interested, sorry! ) ...

The answers are for the purpose of you taking the adventure called Hinduism which you will enjoy very much, the purpose of the journey that is called Hinduism is the purpose of the answer and not the semantics of the answer. But you may already be complete in Sanatana Dharma, I do not know. But in that regard, though this may sound shocking, but I make a distinction, though only a very, very slight distinction, between Hinduism and Sanatana Dharma. I am a Hindu. But I do not think I am even qualified to explain what I mean by that.

Also be careful (in my humble opinion) – while the semantics of the answers are for the purpose of your journey, also respect the semantics of the answer as well, do not consider them as something for children, as if we are not children and that children are only “those others”. Love the Devas and Devi. They are real.

In other words -

If you are told by your Guru that Ganga came from the Feet of Vishnu, then believe in that. And if you are told by your Guru that the Ganga came from Shiva, then believe in that. And if you are told by your Guru that the Ganga was always, then believe in that. The answer is not in itself the answer, but the way you get to your purpose. If you do not have a Guru, or a Yogi, or any Sacred Text, then just ask Deva or Devi.

Also I cannot give you the answer, only generalities. There are others here who probably can. The reason is, though I am a Shaiva, I am well known as a rascal Shaiva. That is why my nickname is “Rasgulla” (but pronounced as if almost saying “rascal” and “gulla”).

So, I will not shy away from saying or telling or writing or any other thing regarding Hindu – but that is because for me Hinduism is fun. In other words, I am not interested in merging with Shiva at this time, I have too much fun in Bhakti and such, so I want things to be “two” and not “one”. Because if everything was “one”, then Who would I give my devotion to? This is too much fun to become “one”.

So that is just me, and also I was told that at least for this life, I need to follow only four things. So I will just do that for now. I want to make clear, these four things are for me, NOT FOR YOU. Over time, I realized that these are in fact the correct agenda for me at this time, or this life. I just mention them, since obviously I am told this because I have a lot of room for improvement. The four things are:

1. Do not disturb others.

2. Be the friend of devotees. Because you are too stupid to invent supreme knowledge, so for you knowledge is something that happens for you, given to you, read to you, sung to you, in good company with you, can surround you from others, but you cannot teach yourself, and all knowledge is about something other than you.

3. You have a bad habit of wandering around in gardens and looking at birds and flowers, but then you leave your water bowl under a tree, or on a boulder, or next to a stream, and you lose it. So for now simply wander in the garden of God, that way when you lose things you have lost them in the garden of God and you will have to go back there to get them if you leave for some stupid reason.

4. Do not chant the Gayatri Mantra.

Of course, I need to be way better in doing these four things. Especially no. 1.

Jai Ganga Ma Devi ki JAI!

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste ShivaFanji,

Your post has made me think! (as usual) . I agree with all that you are saying.

Thanks,

Aspirant

Namaste

I forgot to mention some subtle but fascinating trivia in relation to the Gharial, or the Crocodile or Makara, whatever is your principle in relation to the Vahana of Mother Ganga. Which again speaks to the vastness of Hinduism and how, no matter what Sampradayas or sect or devotion you belong to, Saiva, Vaishnava, Shakta Shakti or Vishnu's Snake Couch or under Garuda or Surya or Agni, there is more, much more, that intertwine us together than in any differences. The Devas and Devi all know each other, and the all the blending of one to the next is much more than what humans think of as brother, sister, Mother, Father.

This of which I have heard may be taken with a grain of salt if you are inclined to only accept what is in written ( modern print ) in Veda and such. But some say the hissing sound that comes from the snout of Ganga's Vahana is associated with the hissing of the Kundalini. And this rising, hissing force is associated in this case of Ganga and Her Mount to Goddess Bhairavi in the form of the one who holds the book and rosary. That Ganga thus carries Bhairavi to Kashi where Bhairava Waits and to Kolkata and Bengal the Motherland of Kali. Ganga brings Bhairavi to these places on Her Path. I have little knowledge of this, nor do I practice Kundalini.

But there is also one strange thing. It has to do with Skanda's Suster. Who is the Vel. And an aspect of Lalita, and the Bhairavi Shakti.

But THAT is a story for another time.

Om Namah Sivaya

Vannakkam: Some temples use the crocodile as water spout for th abhishekham drainage. Here is a link to a page that has a nice picture of one. http://spacesnepal.com/archives/mar_apr12/2012CD9.php

The new temple in Hawaii at Himalayan Academy has newly carved ones as well. Not sure of the significance.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information