Thread: Looking to learn

Looking to learn

Hi there and thanks for reading this.

I thought I'd join this site because I have been studying Hinduism, AKA sanatana dharma, for a while now and I'm very interested in it. I'm reading whatever I can get my hands on, mostly things online, as well as books but I can't order all of them when I want, need to wait to get paid! Right now I am reading the Upanishads.

I was raised Christian but by the time I was a teenager I was not practicing and by college I did not believe in it. I have always believed in God though and have explored many religious but not until I found SD did I really feel something as true and real, so I would love to learn how to practice it and incorporated it into my life daily. There is a lot of information that is very hard to find, or the answers are very diverse. This may not be the place for questions but I thought I would ask them anyway. Would it be better to join a sect of Hinduism, or can I go my own way, and worship which ever I want? Is there a certain way to worship either way?

Do you have to have a room separate for an alter, or can it be in a living room or bedroom? (I have a very small house) What do you do with offerings of food, water, flowers after they have been offered?

I have so many questions though I'll stop for now. Thank you and have a great day!

Re: Looking to learn

Vannakkam Ninendiva: Welcome to these forums. I hope your time here is well spent. You ask some difficult questions but I'll give you my POV.

Most Hindus do end up following a particular lineage, whether they know it or not. If you follow or try to follow two or three at the same time, there can be conflicts, so after searching a bit to see what makes sense, its probably best to pick one. We are indeed very vast in terms of schools and approaches. But in the end it is up to you, and you alone.

There is no 'have to' in Hinduism, unlike your previous faith. It is ideal to have a room, or at least a separate space dedicated to faith, but sometimes this is not possible, so we make do as best as we can.

Personally, I put leftover offerings back in my garden, but if that's not possible, and you have no composter, or place to put organic leftovers, I guess it has to be the garbage.

Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Welcome Ninendiva!

I hope you can find the answers you're looking for here. There is a wide spectrum of levels of experience here. I think at this early stage, choosing a sect is not too critical. You're doing the right thing by reading as much as possible. As time goes on, you'll be able to follow your gut. I was drawn to Maa Lakshmi so I suppose one day I will consider myself a Shakta, but it's too early really. I need to read more, absorb more and ask more questions. Enjoy it! The learning is very exciting - everything is new!

As for shrine requirements - like EM said there are no right answers. There are ideals, but we all have different living situations. My shrine lives in one corner of my art studio.

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Jodhaa View Post
    Welcome Ninendiva!
    I think at this early stage, choosing a sect is not too critical. You're doing the right thing by reading as much as possible. As time goes on, you'll be able to follow your gut.

Peace!
    Hello,

I agree! I too have felt myself scrambling around looking for a label...but honestly, just keep reading whatever you can get your hands on and you will find things that suit you and don't suit you...eventually leading to a choice of direction!

Namaste
    Om Gam Ganapataye Namah!

namaste ND,

Most of the Hindus are non-sectarian. They worship all forms of God at different points of time or even together.

To start with, my advice is that just read scriptures, ask questions and do whatever appeals to you. All forms and names of God point towards only One Reality. Take your time, there is absolutely no hurry. Actually, every sect has different rules which doesn't match the rules applicable to the others. At this stage, you may not know what appeals to you ... as it would depend upon your past Karmas. I will tell you some rules that apply to one and not to others :

a) Jnana Yogis don't give much importance to the form and name of God. For them the whole world and God are not different from each other.

b) Bhaktas have paths like Shaivism (who worship Lord Shiva), Vaishnavas (who worship Lord Vishnu) and the Shaktas (who worship Mother Goddess). Each of them have their own separate ways to worship God. Vaishnavas and Shaivas are strict vegetarians whereas the ShAktas are mostly non-vegetarians. The common non-sectarian Hindu have no issues with eating meat. Beef is what all Hindus avoid.

c) Unless one chooses a Guru and gets Diksha, his way of worshipping varies from individual to individual.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thank you for your replies. They make me happy and hopeful. I have tried and tasted other religions and it always seemed you needed to figure out the rules, laws, and practices and start them as soon as possible... Hinduism is very open. I read an article last night about how it is an Open Source religion. I thought this was an interesting description. I have set up my shrine and am very happy with it. Even my hubby contributed to it with somethings and he's happy to have it in our home!

Is it only proper to give the food to a garden or throw it away? eg: we can't give it to someone else to eat, or eat it ourselves? Just curious. And I do have so many questions... But I can't think of any of the other ones right now.

Again, thank you so much and I thank the Gods for your answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ninendiva View Post

Is it only proper to give the food to a garden or throw it away? eg: we can't give it to someone else to eat, or eat it ourselves? Just curious. And I do have so many questions... But I can't think of any of the other ones right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninendiva View Post

Again, thank you so much and I thank the Gods for your answers

I have always treated food as it is treated at Temple - as prasad. I thank God for it, offer it back to him/her, and ask for a blessing over it. I then eat it myself. Flowers I leave for as long as possible before they start to wilt and then they go in the trash. I like EM's idea of adding it to a garden compost, unfortunately I am unable to have a garden due to my living situation.

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information