Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatness of Bhagavad Gita.

Greatness of Bhagavad Gita.

Dear All,

Our duty is to read Bhagavad Gita. By doing this Lord Krishna is very much pleased with us. HE bestows peace in our minds, peace in our families, peace every where and no fitings. By His grace ‘Raama Raajya’ can come to the earth again. Lord Krishna is everything and He is everywhere. Everything is possible if He wishes to do it.

Visit : http://gitayajnain5mindailyforpeace.blogspot.in/

Thanks,
    Niranjan.

Re: Greatness of Bhagavad Gita.

Thank you for the reminder. I myself try to read a little of Vaishnava shastra each day, whether it be smrti or some Vaishnava acharya bhashya.

Haribol!

I think the chapters of BG can be read independently too, is it not? That is, you don't have to read through chapter 1 to the end and you can pick, say chapter 10 alone, for daily recital. This is great, at the end of each chapter of BG, there is a katha of a devotee having read that chapter each day and benefitted materially, spiritually from it!
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good ebook that contains the Bhagavad Gita, but with a good commentary? Not really sure where to look on this and I've been wanting to read it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by penguin10916 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone know of a good ebook that contains the Bhagavad Gita, but with a good commentary? Not really sure where to look on this and I've been wanting to read it for awhile.
    It all really depends on what kind of commentary are you looking for!

तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

If you are looking for discourses there are various ones from knowledgeable people.

I follow Swami Paramarthananda of Chennai. You can find his discourses online or you can ask for CDs which can be sent to you for small price.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

This one is a sweet, Vaishnava commentary, by His Divine Grace Srila Sridhar Maharaj... short for Srila Bhakti Rakshak Sridhar Dev-Goswami Maharaj, lol.

Enjoy! Haribol.

Namaste,

IMHO, one should read Bhagwad Gita the original translation without any commentary from any one. It should be bare translation with minimum bias of the translator.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste,

IMHO, one should read Bhagwad Gita the original translation without any commentary from any one. It should be bare translation with minimum bias of the translator.

OM
    Is it really that possible though to have a translation without a bias? As far as natural linguistics goes, all translations of any source text will always have a bias according to the translator, and even moreso with ancient languages such as Classical Sanskrit, Avestan, Pali, Ancient Hebrew, Ancient Greek, etc.

That being said, I think that commentaries can be useful in any given translation to elucidate the inner meaning of the verses. Having several commentaries always seemed like a good thing to me! Unless one is bound to a translation or bhashya because of the sect or guru, one should be able to study the Sanskrit shloka, the meanings of each Sanskrit word, different translations, and different commentary.

Thread Information