Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prostitutes of God

Re: Prostitutes of God

namaste

Hesh, I would not encourage any man to patronize prostitutes or for any woman to go into that line of work.
    I believe that good governance involves doing everything possible to create a society in which women do not
    feel they need to engage in such acts.

Even if that is done perfectly prostitution will still exist because of human nature. I think that the best way
    to protect females is to regulate the industry closely. Otherwise it is more easy for rascals to victimize them.

Government must even see to the welfare of criminals that are incarcerated in prisons,
    so of course it must also see to the welfare of those that work in fallen occupations.

Hari Aum

SB 1.11.16-17: On hearing that the most dear Kṛṣṇa was approaching Dvārakādhāma, magnanimous Vasudeva, Akrūra, Ugrasena, Balarāma (the superhumanly powerful), Pradyumna, Cārudeṣṇa and Sāmba the son of Jāmbavatī, all extremely happy, abandoned resting, sitting and dining.
    SB 1.11.18: They hastened toward the Lord on chariots with brāhmaṇas bearing flowers. Before them were elephants, emblems of good fortune. Conchshells and bugles were sounded, and Vedic hymns were chanted. Thus they offered their respects, which were saturated with affection.
    SB 1.11.19: At the same time, many hundreds of well-known prostitutes began to proceed on various vehicles. They were all very eager to meet the Lord, and their beautiful faces were decorated with dazzling earrings, which enhanced the beauty of their foreheads.
    SB 1.11.20: Expert dramatists, artists, dancers, singers, historians, genealogists and learned speakers all gave their respective contributions, being inspired by the superhuman pastimes of the Lord. Thus they proceeded on and on.
    SB 1.11.21: Lord Kṛṣṇa, the Personality of Godhead, approached them and offered due honor and respect to each and every one of the friends, relatives, citizens and all others who came to receive and welcome Him.
    SB 1.11.22: The Almighty Lord greeted everyone present by bowing His head, exchanging greetings, embracing, shaking hands, looking and smiling, giving assurances and awarding benedictions, even to the lowest in rank.
    Last edited by R Gitananda; 09 October 2012 at 02:43 AM.
    With our ears may we hear what is good.
    With our eyes may we behold thy righteousness.
    Tranquil in body, may we who worship thee find rest.

AUM Peace Peace Peace

Quote Originally Posted by hesh86 View Post
    Namaste,
    I do consider myself more liberal in terms of sexual issues than most of my fellow Hindus, but I still disagree with the comment above. Why not provide for another means of employment? Why have sex workers/prostitutes at all? The Indian government likely has thousands of minimum wage posts open for those that were not fortunate enough to receive quality education. Community service is also the need of the hour. And in the case of the US, instead of the government spending money on women's contraception, perhaps that money should be spent on more fruitful endeavors such as (eradicating) this 'career'.

That being said, I don't know how well it will work.

Hari Om
    Because governments have no right to tell individuals what to do with their lives.Any occupation that does not involve cheating/stealing other's money is legitimate.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by hesh86 View Post
    Namaste,
    Am I the only one that found this offensive?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GFaN9-1iz0
    Not only does it portray Hinduism in a bad light, it associates the devadasi belief in Yellamma as Hindu and then says "What kind of a religion promotes prostitution?"
    A tad biased?! It also calls Lord Shiva a "fat, blue-skinned Hindu God in a bikini."

The comments show how easily the woman in the video managed to brainwash everyone watching (non-Hindus especially) into believing that this is what India and Hinduism are like.

Comments?
    Well, there are plenty of Christian sects that practice polygamy with child brides right here in the United States. There is one case of a man who abducted a little girl and repeatedly raped her until she got pregnant. When they were found over a decade later, the man claimed he did this because his Christian god ordained it. So.... in the same spirit as the above, you could ask what kind of religion sanctions child abductions and rape.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

For all those who think that there was nothing offensive about the documentary, here is a reponse by the organisation that introduced the reporter in the documentary to the devadasis and trusted her to tell the truth.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16OGyssJTvo

Thread Information