Thread: Showing Family Shrine to Open Public - Bad Idea?

Showing Family Shrine to Open Public - Bad Idea?

Namaste

I hope I am not misunderstood, nor am I critical of others, just want perhaps a discussion on this which is not meant to imply any wrong doing to anyone, at most it is probably my own ignorance.

I am wondering about some sort of consensus regarding whether it is in fact a good idea to show to the public one’s entire Family Shrine, or even the location of such a shrine in the most extreme examples? While most agree that sharing a religious art work one may have at home or in a shrine is wonderful, some however have told me one should not reveal the full Family Shrine to the open public but only to certain invites and such. Is this true, how do other feel about this?

I know it sounds strange, but there is another reason also that I am thinking of reasons given to not do so. Here is one reason. It has to do with Vibhishana. Admittedly, this is a very brief surmise of the facts, but … As some know, Ravana had captured Yama (who can bring death to even angels) and held Him captive. Some say, where Yama was held captive by Ravan is a secret, but it is known that one Goddess can hold even Yama at guard, and that is Nikumbala Devi Ma (“Never allows the Enemy to Breath”) who is also known as Prathyankara Devi the Lion Faced. She was the Ishta Devata Devi of Rakshasa Raj Ravan, and the son of Ravan known as Indrajit could have fully conquered death (also known as Yama) by completing a special Nivedhana fire yagna and being awarded a special chariot. Vibhishana, the half-brother of Ravana, revealed the secret passage to the Family Shrine of Indrajit (note – Ravan’s Ishta Lord was the Lingam of the Sun Dynasty and also this same Nikumbala was a murthi in the Clan’s Family Shrine according to some), upon which Hanuman stopped the sacrifice. Whether the Devi would have actually have given blessing to Indrajit, we do not know, since the sacrifice was stopped and Indrajit left His body shortly afterwards. But some say, that the Devi at that time allowed Yama to go free, upon which Ravan noted in His final words before demise that those who are wise do not wait, but he held Yama captive only but waited to finish Him off, and had He done so Yama would not be “standing before Me now”.

Why do I mention all of this? Well, it is not that I expect to be rewarded with a powerful chariot, nor perhaps concerns that someone may use any knowledge of my Family Shrine “against me”. But, I am not sure if revealing the entire shrine and its location is 100% totally proper to be honest, perhaps someone else on the HDF can comment?

By the way, the Lion Faced Devi is still worshipped to this day in Tamil Nadu. She can give great blessings. You can offer Her red chilies. Just because She was found in the Family Devas and Devi of the Ravana Clan changes nothing, for Ravana and Indrajit were Hindus, just as was His half-brother Vibhishana the Rakshasa who helped Hanuman and Ram. Jai Devi!

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Showing Family Shrine to Open Public - Bad Idea?

I quite agree with it

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste
    Just because She was found in the Family Devas and Devi of the Ravana Clan changes nothing,
    In uttarakhand villages we have duryodhan as gram devta(village deity)
    तद्विद्धि प्रणिपातेन परिप्रश्नेन सेवया ।
    उपदेक्ष्यन्ति ते ज्ञानं ज्ञानिनस्तत्वदर्शिनः ॥

उस ज्ञान को तू तत्वदर्शी ज्ञानियों के पास जाकर समझ, उनको भलीभाँति दण्डवत्* प्रणाम करने से, उनकी सेवा करने से और कपट छोड़कर सरलतापूर्वक प्रश्न करने से वे परमात्म तत्व को भलीभाँति जानने वाले ज्ञानी महात्मा तुझे उस तत्वज्ञान का उपदेश करेंगे. श्रीमद्*भगवद्*गीता-4.34

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

I hope I am not misunderstood, nor am I critical of others, just want perhaps a discussion on this which is not meant to imply any wrong doing to anyone, at most it is probably my own ignorance.

I am wondering about some sort of consensus regarding whether it is in fact a good idea to show to the public one’s entire Family Shrine, or even the location of such a shrine in the most extreme examples?

But, I am not sure if revealing the entire shrine and its location is 100% totally proper to be honest, perhaps someone else on the HDF can comment?

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste Shivafan!

I think in a situation like this, Intent has to be considered. Why are you showing your shrine to everyone? Is it because you wish to educate? Or is it to show off to others?

I think it also has to to with personal comfort. Some people wish to keep parts of their lives close to their heart and there is nothing wrong with that. Others feel more open. I have shown my shrine here on HDF but I also know better then to take photos of the Temple Shrine because that is a rule and out of respect I follow it. I don't assume everyone should have the same comfort level as I do.

That's my two cents

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vannakkam ShivaFan: These days I am selective about who I show the shrine to. It's a personal space. I had a picture posted on here for awhile but after more insight, I took it down. For me, it's more of an intuitive thing and it depends on the individual whether or not they want to show others.

"Sacred is secret, and secret is sacred."

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

Hm, about personal home/family shrine, well, I live in a place with two room so...It would not be good to put the shrine on the toilets, or to put it on the place I wash (I don't think Mahadev would appreciate seeing me naked twice a day), I don't want to put it also on the place where I sleep (this is place where you sleep, wake up, have intercourses and dress, not appropriate).

So the only choice left is one room: the main room, when I cook, eat, work, play and receive guests.

It never was a problem...My friends are atheists as well as christian, muslims, buddhists, they never made any comment or gossiped about the shrine. Many of them just simply ignore it. The shrine is a part of me and of my place to live. I just have the "deal with it" attitude, but it never offended anyone, and was never touched by anyone else than me. Occasionally when I receive other guests than my friends, or when I receive people that may be wanting to touch or disturb the little sacred place, I close the shrine with a nice cloth.

As for photo of temple etc, like Jodhaa said, it's not respectful to take any photo in temple, so...Well there is only one temple in my country so

Aum Namah Shivaya
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Thread Information