hari o
~~~~~~

namasté

It seems to me there are two ways we can go; that of the brute ( paśu) or that of the vīrya¹ ( dignity, valor). We get a hint to the direction when one ponders the following...

We are told that we are not what we seem to be, that we are more, whole in our nature. That the actions one performs is not the real you, as this real you (Self) is action free and perfectly pure.

It is the brute that looks at this knowledge and says , yes I will continue in my brutish ways ( ṣaḍ-doṣa¹ or the 6 faults , blemishes) as it is not really me, so it does not matter how I act.

The vīrya (or vīrya-sāraḥ - the essence of dignity that extends or expands) says, yes I know these actions are not the real me. Let me throw them off. Let me not be satisfied with what appears to be and let me align myself to what the wise tell me of the truth.

It is the dull person (tamasic) that is content with living in ignorance; it is the gaṇḍīra ( hero, vīrya, with dignity and valor) that is not content with being dull and comes to infuse sattva into his/her life, or at the least begins the march to find out the truth.

This is the choice that is offered to us within the human condition - complacency of ignorance or the dynamism to act in accord with life-supporting, uplifting behaviors.

But where does one start on this part of the vīrya ( or vīra¹) ? IMHO it starts with ahiṃsā - or non-injury. Some call this non-violence. This infers to all beings ( even ourselves). At the ultimate level this ahisā, when in full bloom, brings no harm in thought, deed, word or action.

But is there more within our capacity to do more to expand that sattva that is within ( and without) ?

praṇām

words
  • vīrya - dignity, valour , strength , power , energy ; splendor, luster
  • vīra (with tāntrika thought) an adept who is between the divya and the paśu.
  • ṣaḍ-doṣa the 6 faults or blemishes of the human condition:
    • kāma - longing, some say excessive desire
    • krodha - anger , wrath , passion ( one of the thirteen daughters of dakṣa )
    • lobha - covetousness or greed; the desire to aquire ( a son of dambha and māyā)
    • moha - delusion; to fall into error ; darkness or delusion of mind
    • mada - this has a few definitions:
      • it is pride and errogance when we spell it as madā ;
      • it is wantonness or lust when we spell it as mada
      • it is any exhilarating or intoxicating drink , spirituous liquor , wine
      • Yet too this word can also mean 'rapture' , and a beautiful object
  • mātsarya - jealousy, envy