Thread: Hindu-in-training?

Hindu-in-training?

Namaste,

I'm sure this subject has been hashed and rehashed across these forums since long before my time, but here it is.

I'm not a Hindu, but I would like to be. I was looking over Eastern Mind's thread Conversion: Do we want you? (the thread title grabbed my attention immediately, as it strikes close to home). Obviously, I cannot answer that question for those of you here who are established in Sanatana Dharma, whether by birth or through "conversion" (a word I never really liked in relation to religion); I can, however, say for myself that the real test seems to me whether or not I can live life as somebody who many of you would be happy to call a Hindu, who you would joyfully sit next to in prayer or meditation in a temple. That's why I say that I am Hindu-in-training.

Speaking of which, I made my first trip to the local temple, Sri Venkateswara Temple in the Penn Hills area just east of Pittsburgh, PA, just this past Sunday, and was so easily welcomed in that I went back earlier today; immediately, I feel at home in this place where Heaven and Earth intermingle, where I can sense the light of God and Gods in each nook and corner, where blessings flow like Ma Ganga from Lord Siva's matted locks. I have had wonderful, even transformative, experiences in Christian churches and other holy places, but nothing so instantly welcoming, warm, and unfathomably deep as this.

So, I am working at it. I'm not planning on taking on any huge projects, I have no desire to disrupt this lovely community (both here, online, and at Temple) nor insinuate myself where I am not wanted. I am just that smiling, bearded, white guy over there sitting by the temple pillar, trying to be a better person, to learn a lot from those who have gone before me, to build it all into my soul and my daily world, and to realize the Goal of life. Thanks again for letting me be here.

Om Sivaya Namah!
    Thomas Allogenese

Re: Hindu-in-training?

Hello Thomas,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm nervous to be taking something on that, in our Western culture, seems to be ONLY for people from India... But, if this online community is any representation, it seems that they are happy to have everyone. And I know God is happy to have everyone. She is happy that we seek Her, that we come to know Her. And isn't that what matters the most?

I wish you much luck.

Vannakkam Thomas: I'm so glad you got to a temple so quickly, and you has such a positive experience. It is a nice place as I recall. We went there on an off day, so I've never seen a crowd.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Thomas: I'm so glad you got to a temple so quickly, and you has such a positive experience. It is a nice place as I recall. We went there on an off day, so I've never seen a crowd.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste,

I went so quickly in part because of your encouragement! Thank you so much for that. It is a lovely place. I have been there on both "off days" and busy ones, and have enjoyed it both ways! I hope to find ways to become more integrated with the community. Maybe after I have been going to Temple for a while, I can start volunteering for clean-up duties, welcoming visitors, and the like.

Aum Shanti Shanti Shanti

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Allogenese View Post
    Namaste,

I went so quickly in part because of your encouragement! Thank you so much for that. It is a lovely place. I have been there on both "off days" and busy ones, and have enjoyed it both ways! I hope to find ways to become more integrated with the community. Maybe after I have been going to Temple for a while, I can start volunteering for clean-up duties, welcoming visitors, and the like.

Aum Shanti Shanti Shanti
    Vannakkam: Unlike less busy temples, that one has an office, so it makes things easier, and I'm sure they'd appreciate you volunteering for stuff. It is a definite good way to get started.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Tom,
    I am just that smiling, .......trying .....to learn a lot from those who have gone before me, to build it all into my soul and my daily world, and to realize the Goal of life. Thanks again for letting me be here.
    First of all, I must congratulate you on the title you have given yourself, Hindu-in-training; never heard/thought of that before.

It is an honor and a privilege to have you in the forum and to have you visit our mandir. Your sincerity shines through the poetic post. Hope we are of some use to you in your quest towards moving to a higher level of consciousness. It is indeed commendable that you are already thinking about volunteer activities at the mandir. Hope your association is life long.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 09 October 2012 at 11:55 AM.

Namaste,

Maybe after I have been going to Temple for a while, I can start volunteering for clean-up duties, welcoming visitors, and the like.

Aum Shanti Shanti Shanti

Namaste!

I'm glad to hear about your experience.
    Speaking from experience, volunteering is incredibly rewarding, both on quiet days and busy days. I can relate to your feelings of being "at home" in the Temple. I try to go as often as possible because I feel so close to the divine when I am there. Also, volunteering allows you to make friends quickly and then it doesn't feel as awkward to ask questions.

Best wishes and blessings to you on this journey!

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information