Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Meditation & The Restless Mind

Re: Meditation & The Restless Mind

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam IS: Yes, a nice long ramble. I read it all, but this sentence is what struck me. I know others will differ, but I certainly believe this. A balanced approach is needed.

Aum Namasivaya
    Vannakkam EM,

Thank you Thank you ... for reading long article

What you say is is true. A balanced approach is needed.

Initially, even moderation is necessary.

Aum
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Indiaspirituality....I loved your post! Ramble away! LOL...I keep trying to give reputation but it seems it is always on your posts and I need to spread it around...ahahaha!
    Om Gam Ganapataye Namah!

Quote Originally Posted by squidgirl View Post
    Indiaspirituality....I loved your post! Ramble away! LOL...I keep trying to give reputation but it seems it is always on your posts and I need to spread it around...ahahaha!
    Thank you @squidgirl

Probably you could give reputation to yourself

I do not expect reputation, so I have disabled it

Jokes apart, I would be happy if my thoughts are useful to you or to anyone

__/ \__

Aum

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Quote Originally Posted by Ninendiva View Post
    I'll cut to the chase here. I have tried meditating many times throughout my life, for religious, spiritual, or psychological purpose - and it has never been an easy task. I have anxiety disorder, and although it is now at a manageable level where I do not require medication, my brain is still very much an anxiety zone. I find this makes meditation very difficult.
    This post is not only for the initial poster but for those that may experience some ~roughness~ when beginning their practice.

The mind is quite plyable. It takes on different conditions. Yet within the pratice of yoga we find
    some of the ~states~ the aspirant (paśu or perhaps pramātṛ) may experience.

Many here on HDF have mentioned ' I cannot settle down the mind, it keeps churning'. This is not
    unusual, yet it ( over time) must be corrected so that stillness insues and one is able to experience
    the smooth transition to silience.
    What are those states of mind that may occur ?
    • kṣipta - scattered, distracted or absence of mind ; this word can also mean kṣapā́ or night ( the darkness of mind)
    • mūḍha - stupefied , bewildered , perplexed , or confusion of mind
    • vikṣipta - scattered ; being dispersed in different places
    • ekāgra - one pointed
    • nirodha - arrested; restrained , in check or controlled
    Note from the list above it goes from scattered (kṣipta) to finally arrested, managed or controlled. The more
    appropriate term I think is absorbed ( samādhi). What is of great interest is these 5 conditions can occur in
    one 'sitting' of meditation. These conditions may also occur outside of one's meditation with eyes open.

So with the next few posts and if there is interest, we will address some of these ideas and see if there can be some value had for the reader.

praṇām

words
    • yoga here is not hatha yoga, but that which is called out in patajalis yogadarśana
    • paśu - lit. a bound animal; this is another name for the human condition; one bound to the senses and body
    • pramātṛ - one who has a correct notion or idea , authority , performer of (the mental operation resulting in a) true conception
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

The grouping of mind functions can, in general, be divided into two camps ( using patajali’s yogadarśana thinking):
    • kliṣṭa - afflicted or in distress ; connected with pain or suffering
    • akliṣṭa - untroubled, undisturbed.
    It is the kliṣṭa condition (based upon the 5 kleśa-s which we will call out) that causes the mind to fluctuate, to become disturbed, to not settle down into its original condition of Being, silence, stillness. It is due to these kleśa-s that impressions are made within the mind that have staying power. These impressions are called saṁskāra-s.

Before going further here, lets call out the 5 kleśa-s (per the yogasūtra-s, chapter 2 starting with the 3rd sūtra):
    • avidyā - ignorance of the real nature of Self
    • asmitā - egoism , being possessed of the feeling of 'me'
    • rāga - attachment via desire; undue affection or sympathy for , vehement desire of ; This word is rooted in raj meaning the act of coloring or dyeing ; We see how it applies; we are colored or jaded ( over-shadowed) by the attachments or the desire for things
    • dveṣa - hatred , dislike , repugnance - negitivity that capures the mind
    • abhisiveśa - this is called fear of death, but the word actually means 'adherence to, affection' - hense the clinging to life.
    We can see without too much effort how these 5 kleśa-s can cause a perturbed mind , to the point of not being able to settle down.

All these troubles we have, all the tumult that life brings, how can any one settle down. What then brings akliṣṭa ? We will take this up in the next post.

praṇām

words

1. saṁskāra - the faculty of memory , deep mental impressions; impression on the mind of acts done in a former state of existence or condition; some tell us these saṁskāra-s are so profound they continue from birth-to-birth
    Last edited by yajvan; 15 October 2012 at 10:49 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Today, I read the quotre on my Blog by Sri Ramakrishna

Some persons must perform selfless work a long time before they can practice dispassion and direct their minds to the spiritual ideal. P. 267

- Sri Ramakrishna

Thread Information