Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Avatars Of Lord Shiva

Re: Avatars Of Lord Shiva

Shaiva siddhantins (orthodox or brahmanic shaivas) reject and ridicule the concept of avataras, although we acknowledge the multitude forms of the Lord.

There are many verses in siddhanta scriprures that mock avataras of vishnu( especially kurma one)

Quote Originally Posted by Omkara View Post
    Nowadays any tom,dick and harry is considered to be an avatar.The list of such 'swami's and 'baba's who are claimed to be avatars is laughably long.
    Namaste,

Yes, I agree with you. Every other Godman calls himself some sort of Avataar in kali yuga. Regarding topic, no I do not believe parameshwara takes any avatar. Whatever exists is shiva, so yes the inner consciousness in each being is shiva but he doesn't specifically takes avataar (Just my opinion).
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Quote Originally Posted by isavasya View Post
    Namaste,

Yes, I agree with you. Every other Godman calls himself some sort of Avataar in kali yuga. Regarding topic, no I do not believe parameshwara takes any avatar. Whatever exists is shiva, so yes the inner consciousness in each being is shiva but he doesn't specifically takes avataar (Just my opinion).
    Greetings,

Could not one say then that Shiva takes an infinite number of avataars?
    "Everybody wants to see God but nobody wants to do any sadhana." -- Swami Sivananda
    "You can advance only through karma yoga; by karma yoga you may benefit others also....Only hard work can make a person powerful and energetic." -- Haidakhan Babaji
    "Do everything you do as Śivathondu." -- Yogaswami

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post
    Greetings,

Could not one say then that Shiva takes an infinite number of avataars?
    Dear Jetavan

I am not a very gyani in Veda and shastra but yes in my personal view in a way you can say that it is Shiva (impersonal) who resides in inner self of all beings. I see Shiva (personal) as ishvara who creates the illusion (world) with his infinite shakti. I do no differentiate between Shiva and his Shakti. I see his Shakti itself as this mayavi universe. When time comes a jeeva realises his pure self and becomes impersonal shiva or pure consciousness again. So what I want to say is that Shiva as personal God or Ishwara doesn't takes avataars from time to time. He does manifests instantaneously in forms of Bhairava, Mahakala, etc but I do not see them as avataars. But if we talk of jeeva, then you can say all atma are but one Shiva. Tat twam Asi
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

When I think of the word avatar I think of what the Christians consider Jesus to be and the incarnations of Vishnu. That is The Creator taking human form to restore dharma. I have been taught that Lord Shiva has not and will not do that because the essence of Shiva is in all, Therefore whatever happens or does not happen is Shiva. As the Issa Upanishad says "All is perfect", hence there is no need for an avatar.

Om shanti shanti
    All is Siva there is nothing without Siva.

I believe that Vishnu and Shiva are the same. I believe them to be avatars of each other.

In my opinion, I think that Bruce Lee was an avatar of Vishnu/Shiva. He had super human knowledge, super human intellect, he was pretty much a super human in all aspects of human hood. To be super/uber is to be Godlike.

Bruce Lee has innate knowledge that Buddha/Vishnu/Shiva had.

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    In my opinion, I think that Bruce Lee was an avatar of Vishnu/Shiva. He had super human knowledge, super human intellect, he was pretty much a super human in all aspects of human hood. To be super/uber is to be Godlike.

Bruce Lee has innate knowledge that Buddha/Vishnu/Shiva had.
    Vannakkam: Of course anyone is welcome to believe whatever they want, but beliefs like this would clearly fall outside any school of Hinduism. Vega, do you have any questions about Hinduism. There are many well-versed Hindus here who could help you understand Hinduism better.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Personally, (as a Saivite) I don't believe in avatars. For the sake of Hindu Solidarity, I respect that in Vaishnavism there are avatars, and I respect that there were traditional ones.

But these days? Nah. It's just a better word ... some kind of weird competition between followers of Gurus or in some cases, the Gurus themselves. "Sri la Sri la Sri HH HH Mahaavatara etc. etc. ______________" Get over it already.

"My guru is better than your Guru because he has a more honorifics in front of his name."

Aum Namasivaya
    In terms of (Shivas Avatars) surely you believe for example Kaala Bhairava is a aspect of the [Supreme] Shiva rather than a avatar or incarnation of Lord Shiva? Or am I confused. I wonder if I am a smarta and shaivite hybrid. Would you consider Brahma & Vishnu aspects of Lord Shiva also?

Quote Originally Posted by IcySupreme View Post
    In terms of (Shivas Avatars) surely you believe for example Kaala Bhairava is a aspect of the [Supreme] Shiva rather than a avatar or incarnation of Lord Shiva? Or am I confused. I wonder if I am a smarta and shaivite hybrid. Would you consider Brahma & Vishnu aspects of Lord Shiva also?
    Vannakkam: Yes for Bhairava as an aspect.

The trimurti is contained within Siva. So He has those as qualities. Nataraja's drum, for example, performs the same function as Brahma of the trimurthi.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information