Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worship of the Planets

Worship of the Planets

Namaste.

So in Jyotish, among other things we are given Mantra(s) to pray to certain planets or manifestations of the lord. Whatever the case may be.
    Personally I don't know which Mantras I am meant to recite based upon my chart but I just enjoy chanting the Shani Mantra every now and then because it is peaceful when sung in Vedic Meter.

My simple question is : If god rules all the planets and the planets infact worship god, for example guru(s) often say : Shani dev worships Shiva.
    Then what is the purpose of worshipping these planets when you can directly worship a supreme manifestation of god like Shiva or Krishna, who has complete control and influence over not just one, but every planet, the whole cosmos, and the very foundation of existence itself.

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, fellow friends enlighten my darkened brain.

Re: Worship of the Planets

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy,

Icy, does God control? To my mind it is all about harmony.
    To know of the depth and vibrancy of the harmony which exists in this universe is key to knowing,
    towards seeing its beauty.

Might I humbly offer the thought that, control is self serving. Perceived by the ego, it serves to reinforce
    the impression of its own existence, and thus justify its continued presence.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy,

Icy, does God control? To my mind it is all about harmony.
    To know of the depth and vibrancy of the harmony which exists in this universe is key to knowing,
    towards seeing its beauty.

Might I humbly offer the thought that, control is self serving. Perceived by the ego, it serves to reinforce
    the impression of its own existence, and thus justify its continued presence.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    I see...even through the viewpoint that everything works in harmony, a intricate system - where one cog requires the other to function; like a grandclockwork....Surely even then, god, omnipotent in nature has the ability to do anything he wishes, destroy the planets and create new ones, annhialate and create the cosmos, among other things, making the supreme hold power in regards to these issues, how beautifully this power is used perhaps beyond human perception. You get where I am coming from though. No? Again, I could be wrong. Feel free to elaborate again ManaJi.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy,

Clock work is a very industrialist, Newtonian imagery; to my mind very misleading. Look up fractals and the butterfly
    effect for a more modern and accurate idea of the internal workings, the butterfly effect is, to my mind, a particularly
    beautiful description of the reality and inner workings of God conciousness.

The Butterfly controls nothing, it just is; the consequent storm or lack of can change many lives. In all essence are so
    many variables that the complexities of the effects are quite incalculable, the mechanism is however truly beautiful
    and are actually very simple.

Sure a nearby star might go hyper-nova and we would disappear in an instant; yet if you can realise what the fractal
    nature of a Galaxy can mean.
    Who is to say that the "shape" of all that conciousness, would be extinguished, just because the matter was lost in
    combustion?

To hold in ones mind the image of God as a controlling man, is unrealistic at this scale, one needs to adapt ones image
    of God. We may chose to help the balance of our horoscope by worshipping the deities relating to specific planets
    This is to help stimulate effect, by working in harmony with the celestial rhythms of the planets.
    Maybe more apt would be, to remind us to stop going against them.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 20 October 2012 at 10:59 AM.
    8i8

That makes sense, Mana Ji. I love the butterfly effect. I will let my mind meditate on the thought for some more time...definetely a beautiful way the universe works I'm sure. So you retain the fact that worshipping planets are useful? & in that case also symbolic manifestations of the supreme for example, Laxmi, Durga, Saraswati, Hanuman, and so forth rather than only focusing on one supreme form such as Shiva?
    By the way how is your Navratri going? I've been feeling very feminine lately haha. Gotta love the devis :P

Vannakkam Icy

We probably worship the planets so that they will listen to us directly and lessen our misery instead of the whole process of going through their governing deities. They will be pleased with us too for remembering and acknowledging them. After all, they were the ones who were assigned to govern our fates by the Supreme God. But you must remember that the planets are not the masters but only the enforcers of our karma.

As such, the governing deities should be worshipped and praised along with the planets.

Not to forget the governing deity of your rashi and nakshatra. There's so many really. But it's interesting.

This is just to my understanding.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Equinox; 20 October 2012 at 11:20 AM.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Icy,

Oh, I am quite besotted; it is an ongoing celebration for me...

Yes worshipping planets is useful; I recommend you actually observe them, it reminds you of how real the solar system
    is and puts things into perspective. This is one of the things which helps me remember God.
    I try to as often as I can. In fact there is a meteorite shower tomorrow morning, I might try to catch that if I can.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam Icy

We probably worship the planets so that they will listen to us directly and lessen our misery instead of the whole process of going through their governing deities. They will be pleased with us too for remembering and acknowledging them. After all, they were the ones who were assigned to govern our fates by the Supreme God. But you must remember that the planets are not the masters but only the enforcers of our karma.

As such, the governing deities should be worshipped and praised along with the planets.

Not to forget the governing deity of your rashi and nakshatra. There's so many really. But it's interesting.

This is just to my understanding.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Yeah, that makes alot of sense.

Namaste

Not to get off topic, but this may be of interest to some being it is Navratri. At this time ii is beneficial to have the Graha Shanti Anushthan Puja performed to position the nine planets to remove any bad luck due to position of the nine planets. During Navratri this is an especially good time.

Om Nama Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste

Not to get off topic, but this may be of interest to some being it is Navratri. At this time ii is beneficial to have the Graha Shanti Anushthan Puja performed to position the nine planets to remove any bad luck due to position of the nine planets. During Navratri this is an especially good time.

Om Nama Sivaya
    What mantra can I chant which I can find on youtube that will have a similar effect? Or the mantras chanted in this Puja...

Thread Information