Thread: Tears of Devotion

Tears of Devotion

Vannakkam everyone

Today was the last day of Navaratri, and a Saraswati Puja was held at the temple. For the last 8 nights, I've been busy attending relatives' ubhaiyams, which were held in various temples. Being with relatives would mean lots of talking and I couldn't really concentrate on the prayers.

But today, at yet another relative's ubhaiyam, I told myself that I would concentrate on the prayer and puja completely. Unknown to me, something was about to happen.

The moment the Dhyanam was chanted in a beautiful tune by the chief priest, I couldn't control myself anymore and started tearing. I just couldn't help it.

I was so confused as to why I was tearing. I know that the priest's tone of voice was so powerful yet enchanting at the same time. I felt completely overwhelmed. I've heard many priests chanting before and yes I felt very emotional, and my eyes maybe went watery, but this was the first time I would tear out of devotion in a temple surrounded by many relatives and family friends.

For a moment I felt like sneaking out of the temple and running to the car, but it would definitely attract the attention of my cousins.

Embarrassed, I bent my head downwards and remained like that for a long time, silently asking the Goddesses to not let me cry out fully. I didn't dare look up but I'm sure others noticed. I felt like disappearing into the ground.

It was rather serene and enlightening and confusing at the same time. The music combined with the chanting of the chief priest (who is also my uncle), moved me so much and transported me to a different world. I was so thankful to the Goddesses and thanked Them for everything They have given me. I didn't know what else to say or do.

Tomorrow is Vijayadasami and I can't wait to watch the Goddess Durga slaying the demon Mahishasura to become Mahishasuramardhini. There will be an enactment of the story in many temples.

Hope everyone has a great time celebrating this beautiful festival!

Aum Sri Durgaya Namah

Aum Sri Maha Lakshmiyei Namah

Aum Sri Saraswatyei Namah

Aum Namah Shivaya

Re: Tears of Devotion

Namaste Equinox

Reading this made my day ! I think your uncle has the love and knowledge to bring forth in full manifestation the Devi. And I think Devi must have been right next to you, Her devotee, and so the tears. I pray to Durga that I will one day be such a devotee as yourself who was without doubt given blessings from Her and from your uncle.

Happy Durga Pooja 2012!

Om Namah Sivaya

namaste,
    Thanks for sharing this experience Equinox. This is nothing to be ashamed of. I have seen this happen before at least on three occassions. This is the effect of Ma.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam everyone

Today was the last day of Navaratri, and a Saraswati Puja was held at the temple. For the last 8 nights, I've been busy attending relatives' ubhaiyams, which were held in various temples. Being with relatives would mean lots of talking and I couldn't really concentrate on the prayers.

But today, at yet another relative's ubhaiyam, I told myself that I would concentrate on the prayer and puja completely. Unknown to me, something was about to happen.

The moment the Dhyanam was chanted in a beautiful tune by the chief priest, I couldn't control myself anymore and started tearing. I just couldn't help it.

I was so confused as to why I was tearing. I know that the priest's tone of voice was so powerful yet enchanting at the same time. I felt completely overwhelmed. I've heard many priests chanting before and yes I felt very emotional, and my eyes maybe went watery, but this was the first time I would tear out of devotion in a temple surrounded by many relatives and family friends.

For a moment I felt like sneaking out of the temple and running to the car, but it would definitely attract the attention of my cousins.

Embarrassed, I bent my head downwards and remained like that for a long time, silently asking the Goddesses to not let me cry out fully. I didn't dare look up but I'm sure others noticed. I felt like disappearing into the ground.

It was rather serene and enlightening and confusing at the same time. The music combined with the chanting of the chief priest (who is also my uncle), moved me so much and transported me to a different world. I was so thankful to the Goddesses and thanked Them for everything They have given me. I didn't know what else to say or do.

Tomorrow is Vijayadasami and I can't wait to watch the Goddess Durga slaying the demon Mahishasura to become Mahishasuramardhini. There will be an enactment of the story in many temples.

Aum Sri Durgaya Namah

Aum Namah Shivaya
    satay

Thank you ShivaFan and Satay for your reassurances to my sudden behaviour.

To honour and thank the Devis, I shall include Their appropriate Gayatri Mantras in this post.

For the Goddess Durga:

Aum Kathyayanaayei Vidmahe,
    Kanyaakumaaryei Dheemahi,
    Tanno Durga, Prachodayat

For the Goddess Maha Lakshmi:

Aum Mahalakshmi cha Vidmahe,
    Vishnupatnyei cha Dheemahi,
    Tanno Lakshmi, Prachodayat

For the Goddess Saraswati:

Aum Vaakthevyei cha Vidmahe,
    Virinchipatnyei cha Dheemahi
    Tanno Vaani, Prachodayat

The Maha Gayatri Mantra:

Aum Bhur Bhuvah Swaha
    Tat Savitur Varenyam
    Bhargo Devasya Dheemahi
    Dhiyo Yo Nah, Prachodayat

Aum Namah Shivaya

I experienced some thing similar when I was praying in a local Chamundeshwai temple on the first day of Navraathri. Felt as if some one is assigning me a task that defines the purpose of my birth.

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    Vannakkam everyone

Aum Sri Durgaya Namah

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Namaste,

When Heart overflows with devotion and love for God, tears flows from eyes. Even Angels come to collect such tears.

These are tears of cleansing and devotions.

It is a good sign and not an embarrassment. There are people who keep chanting, clapping and visiting temples since ages but their hearts and eyes are dry like barren land. Their eyes grow weak and they have glasses (specs), but the inner eye has not opened.

Believe me, this is is good sign. Just surrender to God and you will feel very light.

Many people even cry when they meditate. So it's not unusual. Is it not good that your mind and soul are been cleansed!! ?
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information