Thread: Brahma Kumaris

Brahma Kumaris

Greetings All,

Does anyone here have experience with Brahma Kumaris Raja Yoga practice? I have recently watched some very nice youtube videos of Sister Jayanti, BkShivani and Sister Manda. On one video a person commented something about Brahma Kumaris being different than the original Raja Yoga. The official reply was this:

Brahma Kumaris Raja Yoga is a return to the original concept of Raja Yoga which is said in the Shrimad Bhagavad Gita as being a state of soul consciousness and connection with God. Later this concept was mixed with concentration and breathing exercises which in the Gita itself are said to be irrelevant. So you can say that Brahma Kumaris is loyal to the very essence of the original Raja Yoga, maybe more than the "mainstream" Raja Yoga.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gT0jEKoSXw

I would like to hear any thoughts you may have. The messages of Brahma Kumaris resonate with me.

I am starting to read Raja Yoga by Vivekananda.

Thank you
    dhanyavāda

Re: Brahma Kumaris

I had an chance association with brahmakumaris.The Raja yoga they are teaching (claim to teach) is pure hogwash.its not at all any yoga but self hypnosis.They will teach you some sequence of imagination which is assisted by their songs and your emotions,and with long practice,you will start hallucinating the images you were already told or pre-concieved. It has nothing to do with the real Raja Yoga.

Seeing(hallucinating) images in deeper concentration of pre-conceived images is not all a meditation.The entire philosophy of brahmakumaris is funny without any trace of truth and meant for illogical and ignorant peoples.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Namaste,

Anirvan is right. Raja yoga actually is taught by Patanjali in his Yogsutras. BrahmAkuAri's Rajyoga is something different. Moreover, there are many complaints against this organisation. So anyone desiring to join this organisation should try to gather as much information as possible before taking a decision.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

generally i do not say anything negative about any spiritual organization, but this time I agree with above 2 posters.

Once when I was listening a discourse on Bhaagavad Gita by Swami Tadrupanand of Manan Ashram (he is not popular). He was invited by Brahmakumaris. After a long discussion, next day, upon request from audience, he said that Brahmakumaris is not following traditional teachings and that his mind would not accept it.

i also had a meeting with a long time Brahmakumari follower who is very active with the foundation.

According to him, they concentrate on an image which is a replica of our soul, which resides in between the eyebrows. Later after practice, they meditate on the visualized image. The rays of image then mixes with higher soul and that is yoga. This is real yoga. After mixing with higher soul, the soul spreads love and peace. One has to remain in this state.

Then I asked him that in traditional teaching, mind is destroyed and merges in brahman or atman. He replied that mind cannot be destroyed. it is not possible. So you have to retain one thought of Yoga and be with higher soul.

There are some claims and some general rules which I would like to point out, without adding my own masala.

1. Our's is the true raj yoga. Patalgali's yoga is ashtanga yoga or something else, but not raja yoga

2. When there will be 5 lac disciples of BK, when this world will end and only these 5 lac disciples will survive source - this was said by my father who had a talk with one BK follower.

3. speak slowly, speak softly, speak less - I saw this poster on one of the disciples workshop (Gala)

4. Prefer wearing white clothes

5. Eating outside food or food of any other person not a BK member is prohibited. So eat only food cooked by BK members. - Again had this experience with same person.

Apart from this, there is a split on this philosophy, each one claiming to be the true teachings directly given by Shiva baba.

Note: This might be subjective and I have gained info from just one person. So I do not exactly know the truth.

All I can say is that it's non=traditional.

I have heard form my friends that the vibration are good. Some say that after entering BK, there financial condition improved (this was also claimed by the same person whom I have referred earlier in this post), etc.

But I would like to add that powers to change financial conditions or solve some complex problem had no connection with atma-sthiti.

Being short of words, and most times I mess up, so i would not give my personal comment and my one word answer - Yes or No.

I would echo @devotee's comments.

Is left to you to join this organization or not.

BTW, Raj Yog by Swami Vivekananda is very good.
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

While forums should not be used for discussing cults and sects, many people confuse these cults with some form of hinduism, brahma kumari wuestions comes up more often than any other. The site below is a compilation of why this sect is not remotely hindu of any form or sect.
    Www.brahmakumaris.info
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

also have a look at Controversies and criticism

EDIT:

after this section there is another section

Legal action against critics

In 2007, the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual Organization instituted legal action which would effectively shut down an independent website critical of the organization, brahmakumaris.info. It failed to do so.[96]
    Last edited by Amrut; 29 November 2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added info
    Only God Is Truth, Everything Else Is Illusion - Ramakrishna
    Total Surrender of Ego to SELF is Real Bhakti - Ramana Maharshi

Silence is the study of the scruptures. Meditation is the continuous thinking of Brahman which is to be meditated upon. The complete negation of both by knowledge is the vision of truth – sadAcAra-14 of Adi SankarAcArya

namah SivAya vishnurUpAya viShNave SivarUpiNe, MBh, vanaparva, 3.39.76

Sanskrit Dict | MW Dict | Gita Super Site | Hindu Dharma

Thread Information