Thread: Ekadashi Confusion

Ekadashi Confusion

Namaste all,

I have decided that I would like to begin fasting on Ekadashi. However I am confused as to the exact rules of the fasting. For example, I see that October 26 is listed as an Ekadashi day. So would I begin my fast on sunset of the 26 and break it on sunrise of the 28? I ask this because I am confused about the exact timing of the fasting as Ekadashi revolves around the moon and I am not sure if the Hindu calendar day goes by sunrise and sunset rather than 24 hours from 12:00-11:59. Some things I have read said to begin fasting from sunset the day before Ekadashi, which would be the 25. If that is the case, when does the fast end?

Thank you in advance for the help. I know this may sound stupid but I really am confused about it.

Re: Ekadashi Confusion

Namaste.

The Hindu day is from sunrise to sunrise, not midnight to midnight as a day is in the western calendar, or sunset to sunset. I refer to http://www.purebhakti.com/resources/...inmenu-71.html You enter your time zone and a closest location in that time zone and you get all the dates of Vaishnava religious days. Today, close to NYC Ekadashi began at 07:19; the fast is broken 07:20 - 10:53 (DST is in effect). You can sign up for e-mail reminders at http://www.vaisnavacalendar.info/email-reminders-signup

Jai Sri Krishna.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thank you Jainarayanji.

If Ekadashi began at 7:19, what do you mean the fast is "broken" from 7:20-10:53? I thought breaking the fast means ending the fast. Or is that the actual time you will be fasting? If so, it ends at 10:53 tonight or tomorrow morning?

Thank you

The fast is the 24 hour period from 07:19 this morning (11/25) to 07:20 tomorrow morning 11/26 (sunrise to sunrise). It means that the fast is ended (broken) tomorrow 11/26 any time between 07:20 am and 10:53 am. It is broken between those times with a grain food... oatmeal, bread, rice, etc. Then you resume your normal diet.

It is confusing in the beginning, but you will learn. Check the links I gave you. They are an immense help. And I believe it's the intention that counts if a devotion is done without full knowledge but with a sincere effort. To believe that Lord Vishnu will reject a sincere effort is not acceptable. He smiles on and blesses all true and sincere efforts at devotion: "If one offers Me with love and devotion, a leaf, flower, fruit or water, I will accept it." Bhagavad Gita 9.26

Thank you very much Jainarayanji.

I was confused because I didn't know there was a period of time to end the fast (7:20-10:53). That website also says that today is Ekadashi for me, but unfortunately I already ate bread this morning I guess I will have to wait until November 10.

I agree that it is the intention and devotion that counts the most. I don't think I will be able to do a full fast my first time, so I will probably eat some fruits during the day.

Thank you again, everything makes sense now

You are welcome. The ideal fast is not even taking water, but I cannot do that nor can a lot of people. A lot of people do not even fast. I limit myself to no more than two small meals which include yogurt, milk, cottage cheese, and fruits in any combination. They are really nothing more than dairy and fruit snacks I have in the afternoon and evening, usually spaced 8-9 hours apart.

My approach is one light meal the day before and break the fast with hot milk and brown sugar in the morning after Ekadashi. The day after, in addition to the hot milk, i also eat only one light meal. The light meal the day before is to prepare the body, while the single meal the day after is to not "shock the system". On Ekadashi i don`t put anything in my mouth besides toothpaste

I'm really terrible with Ekadashi. Because we do not eat grains or beans, I usually end up making french fries with a yogourt dip... or avocado milkshake, or fruit lassis, or fried potato slices with sour cream, or cassava cake... You get the idea.

Filipino fruit salad with coconut topped with heavy cream and condensed milk... offered to Krishna first, of course!

Having food orgies without grains and beans on ekadashi as happens in the HK community cannot be considered fasting. The shastras lay down some rules, in the case that someone is unable to completely fast, one meal is permitted in the evening. Excessive water drinking to fill the stomach is not permitted. (You don't want to dilute your electrolytes, but you also don't want to get dehydrated.) The hardcore way to do ekadashi is like dharmi does, one meal in the evening of dashami, no food on ekadashi and only one meal on dvadashi. No physical exercise should be done during this three day period.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 14 February 2013 at 05:49 PM.

Thread Information