Thread: A Crown called Kiritamukuta

A Crown called Kiritamukuta

Namaste

Another thread brought up the subject of the crowns worn by Devas and Devi. It sparked my interest to write a short post on a particular crown worn by Devi and Deva called the “Kirita Mukuta” and others of the same towering form. You will understand why I thought Jyotish is a good home for this post if you take a moment to read. I hope you enjoy and share any ideas or knowledge as well on either this crown, or others worn by Devas and Devi.

Sometimes the English word “crown” is used, but perhaps that is not the correct word to use other than out of convenience, but is translated as crown or diadem but sometimes can be made up of matted hair and is a particular headdress.

There are actually three crown types of this conical mukuta, though they are all related and distinct from just any other mukuta – Karanda Mukuta (basket like crown), Kirita Mukuta (cylindrical crown), Jata Mukuta (crown with much matted hair). The Siraschakra is found adorned on the back of the crown, a Chakra almost like Vishnu holds but it is a halo of Siras or head (Sanskrit “head”).

Jatakas is the tangled hair worn by an ascetic. It is the one typically worn by Shiva for example.
    Kirti means glory, kirita is gem stoned crown of glory. It is the one typically worn by Vishu and Surya.

It is multi-tiered. Such a crown is more than just a tiara. We find it worn by Devi including Saraswati, by Rama and Vishnu, many other Devas and Devi, we see Shiva wearing this particular towering crown which has the shape of a multi-tiered mountain.

Typically found at the top of the crown is a bud-shaped (un-opened) lotus, or perhaps a gem.

Here we see Sita (Jata), Ram (Kirita), Lakshman (Jata) and Hanuman (Jata) wearing different styles of the towering crown:

I think it is because they went to the forest for 14 years, so we see that the Jata Mukuta is used, except for Ram who is notable in this as He wears the same crown you will see on Vishnu. I do not know if there is any relation between the 14 years and the 14 lokas.

What is the purport of this towering crown?

I think I can volunteer an answer. If there are those who want to correct me on this or have more information, please let me know.

Mount Meru also called Sumeru or Sumen is considered the Axis Mundi for this world that reaches to other worlds. It exists in this world, but extends spiritually and upon a certain time/place/conjunction it is pointing right to Indra’s heaven. You will find many multi-storied temples, both Hindu and Buddhist, as well as in Jaina iconography, that actually represent Mount Meru. It is also believed that Lalitha Devi lives at the peak of Mount Meru. The bud or unopened lotus represents the emergence of Shakti, or for that matter any Devas or Devi standing upon the lotus. Meru is surrounded by Jambudvipa. Surya circles about Mount Meru. This in my opinion means Mount Meru is also here on the Bhumi Mother Earth, though the Earth circles about the Sun.

I believe that this crown, these particular mukutas represent Mount Meru, the same Meru we see in the murthis, in the temple shapes, of Hindu, Jaina, Buddhist, mult-tiered, and even in the (rare) multi-tiered umbrella held over Murugan in South India and Lanka, in the umbrella of Buddhism, and in these very crowns.

We are in a place or loka, of 14 lokas, between the lower and the upper. Meru is our axis. The Devatas wear this type of crowns just as Pharaohs of ancient Egypt worn “crowns” representing Upper and Lower Egypt (Vulture of Upper Egypt, Cobra of Lower Egypt). In other words, it is worn to show the rule of our world or Loka. The rulership over us, and the entire breath of Meru to the gates of the heaven of Indra. I think Meru also means that one day we may travel up towards the heaven of Indra, and when Devas or Devi wear this Crown Type, they are telling us that they are watching over from this world to the edge of the gates of Indra – meaning watching and ruling us, our souls who live on this loka called Bhur Loka (7th) up to Bhuvar Loka (6th or space, world of stars) and to the gates of Svar Loka (5th the Heaven of Indra which to our eye is sometimes in conjunction between the Sun and the Polar Star directionally).

The Karanda style crown typically has 3 tiers (with a tip on top called the sikha mani). We often see the others of this crown type also with 3 tiers. Could this represent Bhur, Bhuvar, Svar?

I could be wrong. Am I?

Have fun Jyotish Masters!

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 04 November 2012 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Fixed font markups

Re: A Crown called Kiritamukuta

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté SivaFan,

This is most interesting reading, but I must confess my ignorance on how this applies to jyotish. I wish to understand your POV on this matter.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: A Crown called Kiritamukuta

Namaste Yajvan

I am not a practitioner or scientist of Jyotish Vedanga, I am a consumer and client of Jyotish practioners who, in most cases, I pay to provide insights, forecasts, recommendations and teachings based on Vedic Jyotish, Hindu Jyotish and Sura inspired Jyotish astronomy and astrology. But I am typical of Hindus who are such consumers, in that I include many curiosities or interests as inclusive to traditional Parasara astrology that does not limit Jyotish exclusivey to practictioners who apply "tools of the trade" that only deals with the influences of the Planets and Stars, but includes a diverse range of subject matter such as the use of gems in relation to Jyotish, Sura and Deva intermediaries in relation to influence of what is revealed in Jyotish science and how to affect shifts in mind, body and powers, finding answers to things based on the date-time a question is asked, omens, experts who perform pujas and yagnas appropriate to affect influences, I am a devotee of certain Lords such as Shani Dev, I believe certain advanced practitioners of Jyotsh can apply mantras on my behalf, and who supplement practice with numerology and so on.

So as you can see, I have a very layman, and liberal if you will, enthusiasm for Jyotish practitioners who apply many tools and methods to Jyotish science, and view it as a much more broad subject than only astronomy and astrology. So in that regard, I am probably typical of the population that enriches such practitioners who might be regarded as "witch doctors" by very strict Jyotish scientists. But I make no apologies for what I am, I believe in it and see and feel results.

So in that regard, I also have a more simplistic viewpoint regarding circumstance, the state of the universe, and things which instinctively connect with me as obvious, such as my inference regarding the Crowns of Devas, Devi, Planets, Suras, and even Asuras, that they have true life and purport of Their own, which I cannot claim or site any Vedic or scriptural reference but simply comes from remembrance such as what was said by a Jyotish, by a Guru or perhaps Yogi or even Saint.

Such as the Crowns so mentioned are Mount Meru, and the tiers in the Crown are levels of Lokas such that it is made clear Their Rulership over the span of Mount Meru from the bottom up to The Tree if Life (of beings and animals ruled by Shiva Lord) at the top of Meru to the very Gates of Indra's Heaven speaks of such Rulership so we, the souls who dwell in the Lokas which the Meru axis passes through, can understand this situation and that the Devatas who wear such a Crown are also the Rulers of the very "planets" and gemstones and influences which They can affect and effect if They so chose, if They respond to conversation from souls, what course may be predicted by Jyotish, that They rule the Planets, the Stars, the Movements, the Time and can Decide.

I believe in Personalities of Majestic Power and Presence, both formless, in light, and of course in Form. I see a definite link between the purport of this Crown and the Jyotish purport.

Of course the Worlds extend beyond the span of Meru, which instinctively seems a flag of identity for souls such as myself who currently travel here and there - in other words, directly connected to and relevant to this "map" in which I live just as a flag represents a Nation, and though Devas and Devi reach far beyond the Lokas of Meru, yet Their Crown is a message to me, that these realms are The Empire which They provide us the hope we need from Their Divinity. We face the influences of the chakras of the universe, and even within us is a living Meru in the microcosm with chakras spinning that affect and effect influence, but destiny is NOT fixed in stone, the influences of the Planets, Stars, Chakras and many things beyond my understanding that a layman such as myself calls Jyotish, can be understood, or at least perceived with help, and the course of the stars can be changed, we can be bettered in our mind set, and we can even travel very far as explorers and perhaps even conquerors of the very stars that influence us and pull and push as does the Moon to the waves.

I see Jyotish from the perspective of a simple Hindu. That it is the science of light, and not just astronomy. Much of what I think is probably no more than guesswork. I am not sure where I got this idea that the tiers in the Crown may perhaps be three specific Lokas, Bhur and Bhuvar and Svah, but probably I heard it. For some reason I think the Light in this Loka I am living in is the same particular Light that exists and is particular to these Three Lokas. It is unique to these three Lokas, even though Light of other Lokas and of all Lokas is Light nevertheless. Those who wear That Crown which is for us to see, They are Masters of all influences of these Three Lokas, this crown speaks it as so. Now I know Who can give me some help, knowledge, even friendship, I respect The Crown.

So to answer why I put this in Jyotish isn't anything more than something as simple as admiration for Those who rule the Planets and of Light. Perhaps I made a mistake. It certainly won't be my first. I probably should have asked one of my favorite Jyotish analysts, Prem Jyotish. Being a Hindu is not only vast, exciting, adventurous, it is fun. That may sound simple or childish, but that is what I like in addition to how natural it connects with me. Action and Adventure. There is a lot of That in Hindusm, for sure, even though it sounds contrary to yoga. Seems like something is always moving. Like the planets.

Sorry for being long in the tooth!

Jai Shani Dev ki Jai!

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information