Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: does anybody here not believe in reincarnation? plus a question about Brahman!

Re: does anybody here not believe in reincarnation? plus a question about Brahman!

Reincarnation is indeed the cornerstone of all Indian religion and it has its origin in the Vedas where it is called punarmrityu. Buddhism and Jainism have adopted this concept from Hinduism. Some mleccha indologists are trying to establish that this concept is non Vedic, because the Brahmanas call it punarmrity and the Upanishads call it punarjanma. This shows what kind of contrived and illogical theories western academics will cook up to undermine the foundation of Hinduism.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 11 November 2012 at 02:46 AM.

Re: does anybody here not believe in reincarnation? plus a question about Brahman!

I appreciate all the answers, why I am asking is because I've read some books mainly by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and on another forum someone told me that he didn't really believe in reincarnation, that's why I was confused, I've found some pages that state that Sri Nisargadatta didn't believe in reincarnation in his later years.

Can I ask you guys a last question, I really don't want to start a new thread for it! Do Advaitins believe in supernatural stuff, I mean literally, that there are things that science does not have an answer for, or is Advaita solely based on logic??

I would be very grateful for an answer, thanks again.

I mean I guess they do, how I see it they believe Ishvara is real on the relative plane, but what about ghosts for example? I couldn't really find anything on the Net

I think you (miles83) need to travel miles to understand the intricrate theories of rebirth.

Soul - what is soul ?

What link does it have with mind ?

What link does mind have with the actions / inactions you go through ?

An atom acquires charges by hitting, rubbing, reacting, etc. Can it stay charged or it pairs with another to form a neutral molecule ? How it moves from one type of body to another type of body ? How long it stays in free and charged state ?

These is one analog but there are many. To know hinduism, you need to study a lot, ask a lot of questions. It is not believing but understanding.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Reincarnation is indeed the cornerstone of all Indian religion and it has its origin in the Vedas where it is called punarmrityu. Buddhism and Jainism have adopted this concept from Hinduism. Some mleccha indologists are trying to establish that this concept is non Vedic, because the Brahmanas call it punarmrity and the Upanishads call it punarjanma. This shows what kind of contrived and illogical theories western academics will cook up to undermine the foundation of Hinduism.
    Unbelievable! And now there are some "scholars" who are trying to push the date of the Buddha closer to that of jeebus! I wonder why! hmm..

Hindus need to organize and combat them point by point.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by mile83 View Post
    I've read some books mainly by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and on another forum someone told me that he didn't really believe in reincarnation, .
    I am a reader of śrī nisargadatta maharāj and his guru śrī siddharameśvara maharāj; can you point me to the book and chapter where śrī nisargadatta maharāj or his master talk of this ( the non-belief of reincarnation); Note that I am not challanging your post, but would like to read his words on this matter.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I'm currently reading this book, written by one of the few scientists who thoroughly researched reincarnation evidences, Ian Stevenson.

The book is called 'Children Who Remember Previous Lives'. I bought it through kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Children-Remem.../dp/B004EYSWWG.

Usually this odd behavior of remembering past lives is displayed by children, but in the west most parents disregard this as nonsense.

It's a very interesting read and a nice introductory piece on the work of this researcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    I'm currently reading this book, written by one of the few scientists who thoroughly researched reincarnation evidences, Ian Stevenson.

The book is called 'Children Who Remember Previous Lives'. I bought it through kindle: http://www.amazon.com/Children-Remem.../dp/B004EYSWWG.

Usually this odd behavior of remembering past lives is displayed by children, but in the west most parents disregard this as nonsense.

It's a very interesting read and a nice introductory piece on the work of this researcher.
    Vannakkam Pietro ... Nice to read your insightful words again, its been some time. So how do you think (intuit) you came to be in Brazil? It seems odd (to me) that a Hindu soul would want to be born there.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by mile83 View Post
    I appreciate all the answers, why I am asking is because I've read some books mainly by Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj and on another forum someone told me that he didn't really believe in reincarnation, that's why I was confused, I've found some pages that state that Sri Nisargadatta didn't believe in reincarnation in his later years.
    From I Am That:

"Reincarnation implies a reincarnating self. There is no such thing. The bundle of memories and hopes, called the "I", imagines itself existing everlastingly and creates time to accomodate its false eternity. To be, I need no past or future. All experience is born of imagination; I do not imagine, so no birth or death happens to me. Only those who think themselves born can think themselves re-born . All exists in awareness, and awareness neither dies nor is re-born. It is the changeless reality itself." (262)

Nisargadatta is not denying that reincarnation happens -- if you identify yourself with your mind (memories, hopes, dreams, desires) and call that "me" or "I". Since most of us do identify ourselves to be that, then we experience/suffer reincarnation.

However, once you realize that you are Param-Atman, Brahman, Awareness/Being/Bliss Itself, then you realize that you have never been born, and you will never die, and you have never "reincarnated".

Quote Originally Posted by Jetavan View Post

Nisargadatta is not denying that reincarnation happens -- if you identify yourself with your mind (memories, hopes, dreams, desires) and call that "me" or "I". Since most of us do identify ourselves to be that, then we experience/suffer reincarnation.

However, once you realize that you are Param-Atman, Brahman, Awareness/Being/Bliss Itself, then you realize that you have never been born, and you will never die, and you have never "reincarnated".
    Nisargadatta seems to be paraphrasing Buddhism in his advaitic language.
    Why are you unhappy? Because 99.9 per cent Of everything you think, And of everything you do, Is for yourself —And there isn't one

Thread Information