Thread: nArAyaNa in the veda-s

Threaded View

nArAyaNa in the veda-s

Namaste,

Inspired by a similar topic elsewhere, I have decided to post references from shruti identifying nArAyaNa as brahman aka paramAtmA aka the supreme Deity.

A common line of attack used by mleccha missionaries, is that Vedic religion is polytheistic and has no concept of a supreme Deity. This is in line with the work of European indologists who have tried to assert that viShNu in the Rg veda is merely a "minor solar deity." To be sure, there are references to a Vishnu who is not a supreme deity, but there are many shruti references, both direct and indirect, to a supreme deity, and abundant evidence to indicate that this supreme Deity is nArAyaNa (the Lord of Vaikuntha). I will try to post evidence from sources that I have studied which substantiate this. For now, I will avoid using sources that are exclusively used by later traditions or sources which have not been quoted by traditional commentators and whose status is disputed. Thus, this will not by any means be an exhaustive list.

My intention is NOT to to provide an easy reference that precludes reading the original sources. Please do not simply pick fights with others and then copy-cut-paste these quotes for use in flame battles. Rather, I would request that those interested in this subject use this as "where to look" guide and research the original source material themselves. It is always a good idea to know the original context, preferably under the tutelage of a qualified guru.

From my studies to date, it appears that the Vedic religion was quite clear in its endorsement of a supreme deity known by various names, who was responsible for the creation and yet transcended it. Many of the names by which that Supreme Person were known, were also names given to lesser deities who are different from, but connected to and dependent on that Supreme Person. On the other hand, names like "nArAyaNa" can only refer to one specific person, namely the Deity commonly understood by that name, for reasons spelled out by grammarians like pAnini. Thus, while "indra" or "viShnu" could mean different entities based on context, "nArAyaNa" can only refer to one deity and is not used to refer to any other deity besides shrIman nArAyaNa.
    Last edited by philosoraptor; 07 November 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information