Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mental builtup in today's education system

Re: Mental builtup in today's education system

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste EM,

It is certainly not British style in India. It is not a silent study but normally an interactive session with the students but actual style varies from teacher to teacher.

OM
    Vannakkam: Thanks, and its good to know.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

What about the role of technology? Much of it throws distractions at our youth and negative influences, bad vibes for society across all national borders, etc.

But, there is one idea.

Today in the US we are seeing the rise of what is called "home schooling". The more resources for study aids online are beneficial. At the collegic level, we are now seeing the emergence of colleges which offer all their courseware online, and the college could be in India and the student in US, or it could be in Aruba and the student in India, and so on.

So as more parents either have their teenagers and others either supplement government school with home schooling, or in some cases use only home schooling, in the example of the US the parent can use online resources including online tutors and even live one on one tutoring and instruction with browser and conference software. They would be able in some cases to actually see the instructor or tutor and converse with each other using headphones and microphones from country to another over the internet using the pc, laptop or other computer device.

For example, for one teen I pay for online teachers including those located in Canada, Philippines and India as well as US. I admire the India teachers who are not representing a government school or institution but their own school and they prove themselves by their knowledge and their results.

So I think Sampradayas, perhaps even Temples, as well as private schools who teach morals and Ramayana and such is possible as resources and they will be more such options in the near future.

Home schooling through the internet as an addition to or exclusively independent of government hands is possible. Temples anywhere in the world can offer online schools or tutors to students all over the world. And this will raise funds for the temple or organization. I can tell you right now, if Hindus do not take advantage of building such online schools they will fall behind others who are already doing so, such as the Jains. The Jains are now putting money into these startups to school Jain study and classes and will be giving degrees and offerings. They are not proselytising but are making their presence on the internet, and I predict a dramatic uptick in those who become Jains after parents start to use these resources.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Last edited by ShivaFan; 10 November 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: corrected typos

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    This has been bugging me for a few days...... It was provoking me the question "Is today's society having the right education ?"

stories of Ramayana, Mahabharata, the puranas, Moral Science.
    these had huge impact in building the character I am. huge bearing on my thought process and my interactions with the society.

the nuclear family.... good character building.

look at the CBSE curriculam there is no subject towards this.

In the absence of these, how will a child decide what is right and what is wrong ?
    What is your opinion ?
    Namaste,

Here is a link which describe new course introduced in syllabus by CBSE. Course name Knowledge Traditions. This course is elective though. This courses do not help in earning bread and butter so people's first choice is money making course. This course is for those people only who believes in their traditions, which I do not see in Indian people, some exceptions are there. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/16493937.cms
    Syllabus of the above course includes 12 studies. Medium of studies will be English but they will so start same course in Hindu also

If we talk about Hindu organization, then we Hindu people do not donate enough of money to these organization so they do not have much resources, but now a days http://www.hindujagruti.org/ is doing great job. They are not only fighters for denigrations but they do try to establish Dharma and its Values in the mind of people. They are running facebook group - Balsanskar - which gives informations of of traditions - values and Hindu Sages. They also have online Satsang for kids.

Kerala Govt may start Samskrit classes beginning 1st grade on preliminary basis.

It would be great to see people going back to roots.

Gratitude,
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

We require character buildup as a necessary and essential priority to have a better society.

Towards that optional subjects may not help much as no one wants additional burden on their children or even the children will not like additional subjects, which does not contribute towards employment directly.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Vannakkam: Research has shown that positive role modelling in the area of values has a far greater impact than intellectual knowledge. If the teachers, parents, politicians, business people, clerks, and all other adults that a child sees aren't doing (rather than saying), then whatever you tell will have little effect.

So if you want the kids to keep to good character, then just be one yourself, and they will follow naturally.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    So if you want the kids to keep to good character, then just be one yourself,.............
    You always come up with the solution that is most difficult to implement.
    We want children to have good character, not the adults.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Research has shown that positive role modelling in the area of values has a far greater impact than intellectual knowledge. If the teachers, parents, politicians, business people, clerks, and all other adults that a child sees aren't doing (rather than saying), then whatever you tell will have little effect.

So if you want the kids to keep to good character, then just be one yourself, and they will follow naturally.

Aum Namasivaya
    You are right in some ways. However we also blame Pakistan's youth characteristics on their education system.

The youth are the change agent of this world. And I am sure the generation gaps are because of that.

It is the education, the technology and the society, which has profound bearing on the character buildup of the youth.

The technology evolution and society characteristics are beyond control mostly. The only part that is under some control is the education we impart. This parameter, if we can devise properly, will alter the characteristics to some extent.

This is one handle, by which a nation can shape up the characteristics of the society and I believe, we have not given enough thought on this aspect, while devising the curriculam.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    This has been bugging me for a few days. The newspaper these days are more or less pain to go through. It was provoking me the question "Is today's society having the right education ?"

Even in our generations, we used to hear the stories of Ramayana, Mahabharata, the puranas, etc from our grandmother, grandfather, etc. We used to study Ramayana & Mahabharata even in the convent school, I have studied. Together with the Moral Science. I firmly believe, these had huge impact in building the character I am. It had huge bearing on my thought process and my interactions with the society.

If I see today, the nuclear family does not have grandfathers or grandmothers and today's lifestyles do not really contribute towards good character building. This is a general observation.

Now with this scenario, the responsibility of the education curriculam is very important towards imbibing good morals, ethics, human qualities in a child. But if I look at the CBSE curriculam there is no subject towards this.

In the absence of these, how will a child decide what is right and what is wrong ? The constitutions and rules are in the control of the powerful and rich and these have lost their meaning. Then how ? Earlier days the religion and the temples used to help in this regard. Now a days these are bad practices (at least for the secular parties). Then how does a growing child get guided in the right path ?

In the absence of this, it is sure doom (albeit slowly) for the society. the rot is getting in. What is the way out ?

Should we have a signature campaign and send to the HRD Minister ?

What is your opinion ?
    Hi Kallol, lets get a few things straight first...you think writing a letter to the HRD will solve these issues. How many steps do you take at home to solve the problem that you are talking of? I have a five year old at home and have a tough time teaching him...whom do we blame...parents who are not able to teach, teachers, newspapers, TV or the web? I have been going through online blogs and papers to know the basics of education in today's system. I came across this new kids blog called Humpty Bumpty Kids...check it out...rather than boasting around...it talks about the basics.

Thread Information