Thread: Stealing Devotees from other Mutts

Stealing Devotees from other Mutts

Namaste

I have noticed that some attempts at what I would word as "trying to steal devotees" by Hindu Organizations, Mutts, Communities, Sects, "Mandirs", even Temples (though I understand how some temples try to do this and it is often more of a heartful desire to want you to give REGULAR love to their Devas or Devi Murti instead of just visiting for Darshan, so perhaps I should not include temples in this discussion).

In other words, stealing away from another to add to your own.

Actually, it seems to me that this is not a good approach. Many Hindu organizations now sign agreements between the Divine leaders and temple/organization/mutt management to rather exchange spiritual and social principles rather than "stealing devotees" and these seem to be wonderful gatherings. Also greater unity happens, and all organizations gain strength of purpose and the blessing of the Divine Energy, yes?

I visited a temple last night, and though they want to share the love and insights of God and Teacher, they also say that Hindu method should not be the heavy conversion method, not like some Christian conversion schools of thought, but to have an open door to experience the energy of Hinduism, to provide inspiration and eventual spiritual depth. Now there is a temple I like! Nor do they want to "steal devotees" but only be open and show the example of Hinduism. They used the word "experience" a lot, as in "Vedic knowledge is dry without Vedic Experience", that books are not the answer without experiencing Hinduism of soul. And as far as devotees, with 6 billion souls lost in the world there is no need to steal one devotee from another tirtha or path or temple because if you set the example there are plenty of devotees who will find the door to your example, the ocean is blue.

Also, of course the material world is money centric, and we have seen Hindu groups and leaders become corrupted by money. Of course a true muni, yogi should perhaps "live in a cave" if you will. But personally, I think it is a mistake for Hindu organizations to reject the useful application of money, infusing money given by business and community to the organization to have a face of inspiration in the media and community. Why not build centers of Hindu experience and education? This should not, nor does it have to be "stealing devotees", so I want to make that distinction in my opinion.

One favor to ask - this is not a question about caste, this is a question about stealing devotees. This "stealing" attempts to happen even between caste centric organizations.

Any thoughts?

Om Namah Sivaya

Re: Stealing Devotees from other Mutts

Namaste,

The whole concept describes something that feels completely adharmic to me. I can see money being the primary motivator, but from the standpoint of SD we are all one, so trying to "steal" devotees away from their chosen path doesn't makes sense. Nor do efforts at converting those on another path make sense if we are all on a path that will eventually lead us to SD in the end.

One of the great qualities of Hinduism is that overall, it makes itself open to inquiring minds without throwing it in people's faces. I think that kind of freedom of wisdom is one of SD's greatest strengths.

I don't know much about the status of this phenomenon either in India or other parts of the word, but if someone can comment on it's prevalence that would be interesting to know.

Peace!
    Last edited by Jodhaa; 14 November 2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: spelling
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Vannakkam: A devotee is bound to do what he/she is going to do. If another temple or mutt or even sect or religion makes them feel better of closer to God or whatever, they should just go. Not out of coercion or course, but with a sincere open mind of checking things out. As for organisations doing it, yes, I've seen temples trying, but it often backfires.

One local example is when a temple makes advertising posters about some function at their temple, and puts them up in other temples, but then when asked to return same courtesy, won't. That one puts the hypocrisy right out there in your face.

But I just laugh.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Jodhaa

Wonderful comments as always!

Namaste EM

Now that example made me laugh, too! Classic, and it DOES happen that way e.g. put up temple event ad at another temple but not allow the other temple to put up ad in kind. FUNNY!

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information